Network Vision and LTE deployment strategy

Sacramento, Verizon launched in early 2011, sprint will be lucky by mid to late 2014.

blasphemy. Sacramento design, permits etc along with the central Valley market is supposedly completed by now if what Robert said to me a month or two ago was true and there weren't any delays. We're to begin early to mid next year if everything is going to plan. Don't spread bs please.

• Like 2

I understand small cities getting up with larger cities, but there are smaller markets that are by them self getting upgraded before much larger markets. I would think the upgrade should happen by market size. What is kind of annoying is a small town 30 minutes from here is schedule to go live early 2013, while we will be lucky to see it by mid 2014.

I'd like to know what "small town 30 minutes from Sacramento" is getting NV in early 2013 that isn't tagging along with the big cities in the San Francisco or San Jose markets.

• Like 1

Sacramento, Verizon launched in early 2011, sprint will be lucky by mid to late 2014.

Are you paying attention? Check your reading comprehension. What VZW is doing with LTE is not even remotely comparable to what Sprint is doing with Network Vision, and that has been expressed multiple times within this thread.

If you have that much of a hard-on for LTE, get it over with and go to VZW now. But you may regret it a year from now and only a year into your contract, as VZW's LTE 750 simple overlay looks old by comparison to Sprint's LTE 1900 complete reengineering of its network.

AJ

• Like 5

Are you paying attention? Check your reading comprehension. What VZW is doing with LTE is not even remotely comparable to what Sprint is doing with Network Vision, and that has been expressed multiple times within this thread.

If you have that much of a hard-on for LTE, get it over with and go to VZW now. But you may regret it a year from now and only a year into your contract, as VZW's LTE 750 simple overlay looks old by comparison to Sprint's LTE 1900 complete reengineering of its network.

AJ

I just do not understand why markets with 5 million + people are round 5 while other markets with less than 2 million people are round 2. No one has explained the reasoning for this.

I just do not understand why markets with 5 million + people are round 5 while other markets with less than 2 million people are round 2. No one has explained the reasoning for this.

What market is round 5? .... None. There is no round 5.

The markets are being started as soon as possible. Planning, permitting, RF design, hiring, all has to be done before a market can start. Markets aren't being skipped over, Sprint doesn't have a beef with any particular market. Larger markets take more time to get ready than smaller ones, but work is ongoing in some form in EVERY market.

• Like 2

The reasoning is not population based. It is efficiency and completion based. Does that make any sense?

AJ

• Like 1

I don't know why I keep reading this topic. Its just the same thing over and over. People try to explain they are doing the fastest way they know how to completely replace everything everywhere. They even go into why some places are easier to get done quicker and how working on them doesn't pull resources from other areas. Other people then say something about their market should have been first.

Don't you think Sprint would have looked at if and figured out the best and fastest way to get it all done before spending billions of dollars? Maybe have a meeting or two look at some printout, that sort of thing.

• Like 3

And actually Sprint isn't basing it completely on what is quicker to do. They could have done it very quick by doing towers and areas that didn't need crazy permitting and churn those out quickly. But they chose a balance.

No matter what way was chosen, it would be wrong to somebody though. I still don't understand why they didn't do mine first though. ;)

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 4

No matter what way was chosen, it would be wrong to somebody though. I still don't understand why they didn't do mine first though. ;)

Sent from a little old Note 2

No! No! Mine first!

I even promise to bring the crews hot coffee and deli sandwiches and soup and snacks if they start now! :P

I will even bake more oatmeal, pecan, cranberry cookies and deliver them still warm from my oven...

Gimme a call, guys...

• Like 3

There are not 5 million people in the Sacramento market, and there is not a round 5. This is a blog created to help spread the word of the spread of 4G before Sprint is planning to announce it, not to answer your unending questions about "why why why why why I don't have LTE but Verizon and AT&T have it." Sprint already offers 4G WiMax in Sacramento, and beat both Verizon and ATT to market. Either drop it or go check out www.community.sprint.com or dan@sprint.com

• Like 5

There are not 5 million people in the Sacramento market, and there is not a round 5. This is a blog created to help spread the word of the spread of 4G before Sprint is planning to announce it, not to answer your unending questions about "why why why why why I don't have LTE but Verizon and AT&T have it." Sprint already offers 4G WiMax in Sacramento, and beat both Verizon and ATT to market. Either drop it or go check out www.community.sprint.com or dan@sprint.com

You should actually look up population of an area. The Upper Central Valley market has around 5 million people living there. The Sacramento market includes more than Sacramento, it includes Stockton, Modesto, Reno, and other places. It is so easy for people to criticize when your areas have already begun development.it All I know and many other people who are dropping sprint is Verizon and ATT had us launch as one of the earlier markets, while sprint has us launching as one of the LAST market, also 5 was a mistake it should have said round 4.

Edited by DVCal

. . . All I know and many other people who are dropping sprint is Verizon and ATT had us launch as one of the earlier markets, while sprint has us launching as one of the LAST market . . .

Sprint is so mean and life is unfair. Fortunately, there's medication for that.

You should actually look up population of an area . . .

I did. As of the 2010 census, the Sacramento metropolitan area had an estimated population of 2,461,780 -- less than half of your claimed 5 million.

http://en.wikipedia....tropolitan_area

Alone, Sacramento County rings in at 1,418,788.

http://quickfacts.ce...s/06/06067.html

http://www.news10.ne...?storyid=127274

City of Sacramento: 472,178

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=kf7tgg1uo9ude_&met_y=population&idim=place:0664000&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+of+sacramento+city

• Like 1

Unbelievable that we are still seeing the mine first comments. I have always agreed that the wireless carriers are cads and that's why they have poor customer service scores. Now I have to question if it is due to the unrealistic expectations of the customers.

• Like 4

Whatever the strategy is it feels awfully slow for the people not in the upgraded areas. 3G keeps getting slower and slower... A lot of times I cannot even open my installed apps list in the google play store because of slow data and it giving me an error.

You know, I have been on Verizon for about a month and I am in an LTE area that has pretty good coverage (Ping 56ms, Speedtest 12mbit-21Mbit Down 6Mbit-12Mbit up indoors). The very same thing has happened to me a cfew times (Goggle play timing out). It has also happened to other apps. Faster speed does not mean ALL Problems will go away completely. They will be more frequent and the general experience will be more pleasing. Just don't expect everything to be perfect.

• Like 1

I also have a VZW LTE hotspot, a VZW work phone and a T-Mobile Nexus 4. Those other networks are imperfect too and have lots of issues. Hand offs on VZW LTE can be harsh, especially to 3G.

In my testing in Wichita Falls over Thanksgiving, Sprint LTE outperformed both VZW LTE and Tmo HSPA+ in every way except in the few scattered locations that Sprint hasn't upgraded. The handoffs on Sprint LTE are much smoother. There are advantages to deploying later.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 4

I did. As of the 2010 census, the Sacramento metropolitan area had an estimated population of 2,461,780 -- less than half of your claimed 5 million.

http://en.wikipedia....tropolitan_area

Alone, Sacramento County rings in at 1,418,788.

http://quickfacts.ce...s/06/06067.html

http://www.news10.ne...?storyid=127274

City of Sacramento: 472,178

http://www.google.co...sacramento+city

The Sacramento Market as sprint defines it includes other areas such as Stockton, Modesto, etc. These are NOT part of the Sacramento Metro area.

Unbelievable that we are still seeing the mine first comments.

Agreed.

Sometimes, you get the girl. Sometimes, you don't. Sometimes, your team wins. Sometimes, it doesn't. You can't always be first. At least every once in a while, you're at the back of the pack. That's life. Those are the breaks. Get used to it, folks.

AJ

The Sacramento Market as sprint defines it includes other areas such as Stockton, Modesto, etc. These are NOT part of the Sacramento Metro area.

You are correct, I added up the populations for all the counties that Sprint has at least one tower for that market.

California population: 4,422,856

Nevada population: 628,486

Total population: 5,051,342

Not to say that those counties are completely covered by Sprint service, so the actual POPs for that market is probably slightly less, but it is close to 5 Million. I was incorrect.

And the same goes for all the other markets that are being upgraded... likely larger than you perceive them to be, and none less important than your market. Now is the Nashville market as large pop. wise? Probably not. But like it has been stated, Sprint is not going on pops, they are doing whatever is most efficient.

blasphemy. Sacramento design, permits etc along with the central Valley market is supposedly completed by now if what Robert said to me a month or two ago was true and there weren't any delays. We're to begin early to mid next year if everything is going to plan. Don't spread bs please.

He said they will begin mid to late next year, I will likely take a year from that to actually launch anything.

He said they will begin mid to late next year, I will likely take a year from that to actually launch anything.

I would expect work to start closer to mid year. Though we don't have any more information that that. As far as how long til "launch," it will not take a year. I would bet money that by this time next year you will have plenty of LTE in your area, possibly even an official launch.

It will not take a year from when its starts to launch service. Also, sites will likely start going live within 30-45 days of work starting. The UCV market will likely start before Spring. Please stop with your unsubstantiated negative comments. You appear to be a troll. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Robert

• Like 5

There are advantages to deploying later.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I would agree with that 100%. From what I can see the plan is pretty straight forward. Now honestly speaking I did not follow anyone elses deployments but what I did hear back in the day and it could be wrong but the VZW LTE was just turned on in my area and some people with LTE phones on VZW run 3G becuase they said it was faster at work...

Edited by Exzir

I would agree with that 100%. From what I can see the plan is pretty straight forward. Now honestly speaking I did not follow anyone elses deployments but what I did hear back in the day and it could be wrong but the VZW LTE was just turned on in my area and some people with LTE phones on VZW run 3G becuase they said it was faster at work...

I would assume that's the Vz LTE slowdown that Roberts been mentioning.