eHRPD Sightings

My phone is constantly switching between eHRPD and 1xRTT what does it mean? Also, 3G NV upgrade is - according to the map - finished at my tower, but no speed improvement at all? (tower AL53xc831)

3G upgrade doesn't mean that it's connected to new backhaul yet

When it will get connected to the new backhaul will I notice speed increases immediately? And how long does it take for them usually to connect it after finishing the 3G upgrade?

When the local ilec decides it's "that time" to go trenching some fiber to the cell site. Possibly the #1 reason for the delays that seems to plague Sprint.

Did Sprint shut down the eHRPD network on my tower? My phones network is on EvDo-rev.8,from eHRPD, anyone knows what it means?

If your market is not live yet, just means the network is still being tested. In the Raleigh area I've seen this many times over the last several months, although it's happening less frequently lately. At times I would have eHRPD is some areas and then after 5-10 minutes driving to another part of town I would lose it.

Until the area is more stable in your area, I wouldn't be too surprised about it.

I've never had speeds like this near my home. I know sprint was planning to upgrade this tower this April (additional T1). I randomly decided to speed tests since I switched to LiquidSmooth 4.2.2. Screenshot_2013-04-19-02-30-42.png

I have the Note 2 and its on eHRPD prl 56013 and these were early morning.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
How do I see if I am on ehrpd on the Iphone 5 ?

No one has ever figured it out. Not even Signal 2 by planetbeing shows it. If someone does figure it out, I too would like to know.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly right! For instance, when AT&T advertises their HSPA+ "4G" network, they make it seem as their entire 3G footprint has HSPA+ speeds, when in all reality that is not true. Sure maybe they may have the updated equipment installed on the majority of their network, but the enhanced backhaul is what mainly delivers the faster speeds AT&T brags about. Same with sprint. When 3G upgrades are taking place, backhaul may not yet be installed.

Exactly right! For instance, when AT&T advertises their HSPA+ "4G" network, they make it seem as their entire 3G footprint has HSPA+ speeds, when in all reality that is not true. Sure maybe they may have the updated equipment installed on the majority of their network, but the enhanced backhaul is what mainly delivers the faster speeds AT&T brags about. Same with sprint. When 3G upgrades are taking place, backhaul may not yet be installed.

That's the problem around here. AT&T has a large HSPA+ network with 3G or less speeds. They desperately need upgraded backhaul. They even still have a lot of EDGE coverage in Northern New Mexico. Even Tmo has the same problem. The HSPA+ in my town on Tmo runs under 1Mbps, and will drop to 200kbps at peak times. People bitch about Sprint 3G running like that. Can you imagine 4G with those speeds?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

That's the problem around here. AT&T has a large HSPA+ network with 3G or less speeds. They desperately need upgraded backhaul. They even still have a lot of EDGE coverage in Northern New Mexico. Even Tmo has the same problem. The HSPA+ in my town on Tmo runs under 1Mbps, and will drop to 200kbps at peak times. People bitch about Sprint 3G running like that. Can you imagine 4G with those speeds?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

More than likely if a customer saw that 4G speeds suffered just because of a lack of upgraded backhaul, im sure they wouldnt be very happy. I mean in some areas, AT&T keeps up with adding upgraded backhaul to sites. Others, just have never been upgraded yet. And yes if an LTE network was not properly backhauled, the speeds would be more comparable to "3G" standards.

Can someone explain me why my phone is switching between eHRPD and 1xRTT? Thanks in advance!

I'd like to see if anyone can answer this also. I'm seeing it a lot more lately. It's like the service is rapidly resetting itself. 

I'd like to see if anyone can answer this also. I'm seeing it a lot more lately. It's like the service is rapidly resetting itself. 

It could be the phone itself. Depending on the signal strength, the phone may see that the 1X network has a better signal to the device then CDMA, so that could cause the phone to connect to 1X periodically over CDMA. If that isnt the case, my best guess would be possibly tower upgrades in your area. Not sure on that one but some sprint phones are very picky when it comes down to the priority of different networks (Sometimes phones will search for 1X first before 3G, or some phones will search for LTE, then EVDO if LTE isnt available, then down to 1X.) It all really depends on the type of phone you have. This is why the Evo LTE had problems staying connected to LTE at first. The phone had a signal threshold on LTE that caused the phone to search for a different network, even when LTE signal strength was fairly strong.(From my guess, the evo had a threshold of anything higher than -115dBm, it would disconnect and search for something else.) Dont quote me on that, not entirely sure.

Edited by rwhittaker13

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This morning, coming off of my airrave in Hawaii, I couldn't get any data, restarted my phone still no data. Switched from CDMA/LTE to CDMA and got data. Just switched it back and it says I'm connected to eHRPD but there's no connection. In the debug it shows under eHRPD engineering that I need to fix APN list. At least there's some progress here in Hawaii for network vision, hopefully rollout is soon http://s4gru.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

In this post you mentioned "In the debug it shows under eHRPD engineering that I need to fix APN list. "

Did this ever go away for you?

A couple of us are seeing it now on our gs4t's and a discussion just started on it in the sph-l720t phone thread.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...