Network Vision/LTE - Tucson/Yuma Market

jasper7821

It seems nobody know why Tucson is cursed!

Incorrect, we know why Tucson is LTE cursed. CenturyLink isn't installing the backhaul efficiently. More than half of the towers have the equipment up, it just can't be tested or turned on until that backhaul is available.

• Like 2

To top it off Centurylink is still building their core fiber network in Tucson. They were a really poor choice here.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think it all depended on limiting the expenditures in the long run. If Sprint had chosen to go with Cox/Comcast there would have been separate backhaul providers for the Tucson area, and thus overlapping sections. I realize Cox and Comcast don't really compete for market share here due to an allowed legal monopoly on cable service. However, there are some small areas where they both provide service. I think the combination of having a single provider for the area, and thus a single expenditure for backhaul is a strong motivator. In addition, I can tell you from a consumer perspective (I realize corproate is different) CenturyLink is the lesser of three evils in this case, and that's saying a lot.

I think it all depended on limiting the expenditures in the long run. If Sprint had chosen to go with Cox/Comcast there would have been separate backhaul providers for the Tucson area, and thus overlapping sections. I realize Cox and Comcast don't really compete for market share here due to an allowed legal monopoly on cable service. However, there are some small areas where they both provide service. I think the combination of having a single provider for the area, and thus a single expenditure for backhaul is a strong motivator. In addition, I can tell you from a consumer perspective (I realize corproate is different) CenturyLink is the lesser of three evils in this case, and that's saying a lot.

They're using multiple providers. At least two Tucson sites are Cox.

And I will strongly disagree with Centurylink being the lesser evil in any situation.

They're using multiple providers. At least two Tucson sites are Cox. And I will strongly disagree with Centurylink being the lesser evil in any situation. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Having had friends working in Customer Care for all three providers (yes I realize call centers are outsourced, but the goals are dictated by the carrier)... as far as the company viewpoint of customers in regards to Customer Care goes, Century Link is the least evil of the three. That doesn't mean they're good, by no means is that even remotely true, but my personal experience and with friends that have worked for their call centers, they are.

Incorrect, we know why Tucson is LTE cursed. CenturyLink isn't installing the backhaul efficiently. More than half of the towers have the equipment up, it just can't be tested or turned on until that backhaul is available.

CTL doesn't get paid any recurring fees until it's up and running. Why would they drag their feet?

To top it off Centurylink is still building their core fiber network in Tucson. They were a really poor choice here.

What are you talking about? Qwest has had fiber available at their cross-boxes for a very long time. Evidence: their FTTN DSL rollout, and the fact that many areas get phone service off fiber-fed DLCs

Having had friends working in Customer Care for all three providers (yes I realize call centers are outsourced, but the goals are dictated by the carrier)... as far as the company viewpoint of customers in regards to Customer Care goes, Century Link is the least evil of the three. That doesn't mean they're good, by no means is that even remotely true, but my personal experience and with friends that have worked for their call centers, they are.

Can't speak for Cox, but they are absolutely the lesser evil against Comcast.

• Like 1

CTL doesn't get paid any recurring fees until it's up and running. Why would they drag their feet?

Because they always do... even when getting paid millions of dollars on contract from a nationwide wireless carrier apparently. I would point out... the same carrier that used to wholly own the company at one point (before mergers and such of course, Embarq was split from Sprint wireline in 2006, then merged with CenturyTel in 2009 to create CenturyLink). Tucson is legacy USWest/Qwest which had a rocky history to begin with.

Fun fact... a coworker sent me a screenshot of a speedtest showing LTE live in Tucson. 70 ping, 15.33Mbps/6.31Mbps. He was somewhere in central Tucson, I'll see if he can give me more info when I get to work. He just has access to the built in tools/info.

• Like 4

Because they always do... even when getting paid millions of dollars on contract from a nationwide wireless carrier apparently. I would point out... the same carrier that used to wholly own the company at one point (before mergers and such of course, Embarq was split from Sprint wireline in 2006, then merged with CenturyTel in 2009 to create CenturyLink). Tucson is legacy USWest/Qwest which had a rocky history to begin with.

Do you have any source for this theory that CL has decided to just throw thousands of dollars in the garbage for no particular reason? And if 2 Tucson sites are Cox (per TechSmurf), why are those sites delayed as well? Or have CL and Cox conspired for no apparent reason to hold up Sprint's plans only to their own detriment (losing out on recurring fees that could have been billed for the time they're supposedly holding up)... right.

Fun fact... a coworker sent me a screenshot of a speedtest showing LTE live in Tucson. 70 ping, 15.33Mbps/6.31Mbps. He was somewhere in central Tucson, I'll see if he can give me more info when I get to work. He just has access to the built in tools/info.

Woah Sprint lte in tucson? If so then thats really surprising.

Woah Sprint lte in tucson? If so then thats really surprising.

How is it surprising? Our market already has accepted live sites. Surprising would be them lighting up Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Douglas, Whetstone, Benson, Wilcox, and Nogales before a single site in Tucson ;)

I'm driving home through town today. Give me an idea of where and I'll adjust my route to run sensorly.

I continue to blame Alcalu/Ericsson for simply not sending in an integration team.

Im with you on this. I've talked to my buddies at Centurylink and they told me that some other sites have the back haul needed. It's all up to sprint to light it up. I know for a fact that the site at 20th and Ave B is ready. I was talking to my friend while he was working there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Last week Wireless Evolution, Tucson Mall, advised that there are a couple of towers near the UofA providing LTE.

Last week Wireless Evolution, Tucson Mall, advised that there are a couple of towers near the UofA providing LTE.

There are a couple towers near the UofA providing 4G... but it is WiMax service, not LTE. They are protection sites installed by ClearWire to maintain their licenses in the Tucson area by covering the minimum number of POPs required by the FCC.

Im with you on this. I've talked to my buddies at Centurylink and they told me that some other sites have the back haul needed. It's all up to sprint to light it up. I know for a fact that the site at 20th and Ave B is ready. I was talking to my friend while he was working there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

How did I know that... :P

It should have been obvious to all of you that the source of the holdup was not going to be the telecom that doesn't get paid until they provide the circuits. And even if that were true (that CL is incompetent and can't deliver the circuits in a timely manner), why wouldn't Sprint either threaten to take their business elsewhere (Cox/Comcast) or even do that? I guarantee you someone from CL would have lost their job if that happened.