Hurricane Sandy's Impact on Sprint/Network Vision

I'm sure a state of emergency is an important time to provide customers with the best network possible. T-Mobile and at&t did it why does it make it any different in this case?

Because if there was no auth then any tom dick or harry with a CDMA phone could make a call and Sprint or Verizon wouldn't get paid since the phone wasn't activated. TMobile and AT&T basically did what Sprint and Verizon already have setup. I've been to place where AT&T had no coverage and TMobile or maybe some other GSM carrier had service. The AT&T phones said Emergency Only calls or something like that. All AT&T and TMobile did was open this remove this restriction on the affected areas. Really just a PR move...Sprint or Verizon should have came out and said that they had this already in place before the storm.

• Like 1

is it accurate that Sprint sustained far less damage in the storm than did Verizon and AT&T?

I found that after Monday,when it was impossible to do anything with my phone, there was always a good roaming signal. This suggests to me that Verizon was doing better. Today there was still zero sprint service anywhere without electricity, only roaming.

I'm from East Brunswick. After the storm, I also noticed that there was little to no Sprint service while VZW had coverage everywhere. I was successfully able to roam and send texts while roaming (although it may have taken a few tries), but while on Sprint, I was unable to receive or send texts or make or receive calls.

While roaming, I cannot make outgoing calls because I get the "Pay with Credit Card" message that someone posted in a previous reply. I can receive calls while roaming.

In Central Jersey, at least, Sprint took quite a hit. It still isn't back up in full. (Then again, my house still doesn't have power. It's Friday 11/2 at 11am when I'm posting this)

Stay warm, guys!

I'm from East Brunswick. After the storm, I also noticed that there was little to no Sprint service while VZW had coverage everywhere. I was successfully able to roam and send texts while roaming (although it may have taken a few tries), but while on Sprint, I was unable to receive or send texts or make or receive calls.

While roaming, I cannot make outgoing calls because I get the "Pay with Credit Card" message that someone posted in a previous reply. I can receive calls while roaming.

In Central Jersey, at least, Sprint took quite a hit. It still isn't back up in full. (Then again, my house still doesn't have power. It's Friday 11/2 at 11am when I'm posting this)

Stay warm, guys!

Almost all of the towers in Baltimore are back up, but before, I could place outgoing calls while roaming perfectly... Sound was a bit tinny though.

Almost all of the towers in Baltimore are back up, but before, I could place outgoing calls while roaming perfectly... Sound was a bit tinny though.

Hah, that's the trademark description of Verizon's sound quality...tinny.

• Like 1

6 days after the storm, service is vetter but not perfect. Id say 80%

-No wimax

-Most calls go out, after a deya

-Most calls come in, although I got a voicemail notification for a "ghost" call something like 6 hours after it was left.

-Texts come in, occasionally texts take two attempts to go out.

In all, Id give sprint a very bad rating. Had a good roaming signal since Wednesday, but wasnt able to USE it until Friday. Verizon was much faster getting things together than sprint was.

• Like 1

All cell phone networks went down along with the electrical grid at around the same time (8pm on the night that Sandy made landfall) and stayed down for at least a week in the immediate aftermath. I spent duration of the storm in a house on high ground with 9 people and every network except MetroPCS was represented. Today is the first day that service is somewhere near normal, with data actually working and calls going through somewhat reliably.

Its been like living in 1892/1992 depending on whether your block got power back relatively quickly, or you're still without power after almost two weeks.

Always keep an NOAA radio somewhere in your house with an extra pack of batteries, whether you live somewhere that's prone to natural disasters or not, you never know.

ccrane.com has a lot of great radios including ones thst have a hand crank solar pannels and s usb power port to chsrge your phone if anyone is thinking abiut an emergency kit.

Hi

I live in Colts Neck Nj. I have HTC evo original and after hurricane sandy my phone no longer has 3g in Colts neck. The only network it connect to is 1x and it loses it every few seconds.Power has been restored pretty much everywhere around our town does anyone know what could be the issue? Is there a way to report this to Sprint?

Hi

I live in Colts Neck Nj. I have HTC evo original and after hurricane sandy my phone no longer has 3g in Colts neck. The only network it connect to is 1x and it loses it every few seconds.Power has been restored pretty much everywhere around our town does anyone know what could be the issue? Is there a way to report this to Sprint?

"Is there a way to report this to Sprint?"

YES. Call them. This isn't a Sprint owned nor Sprint sponsored site so if you've got something you need to make Sprint aware of, the best way to do that is to call them and let them know.