Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

Any reason as to why lincoln would be done first and not omaha? Lincoln is half the size. Just curious.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Is there a legitimate answer?

Because it's half the size.

Takes less time to convert all the sites.

Omaha has way more sites completed, but it takes way more sites to cover Omaha.

Is there a legitimate answer?

i was just being funny but it was also trying to point out that we have no idea. your guess is as good as anyone elses here on why they do the things they do. what Dk posted above is probably the most likely reason but even it is just a guess.

Different civil entities -city, county, etc. to make happy.  Different inspectors to get permits and approvals signed off on, different people you are renting land, data, and tower space from, etc. etc.  it's a mixed bag of problems.

I don't think permitting  or site availability are issues issue here. It isn't as if Omaha's permitting process is somehow more difficult or that Lincoln somehow has more accessible sites. It really is just a function of number of sites and a desire to get cities on NV asap at this point.

This was posted in July regarding the NYC deploy.  I'd expect the same or similar problems exist everywhere.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57595175-94/why-sprint-is-taking-its-sweet-time-with-4g-lte/

I'm still trying to find the article that dealt specifically with the patchwork of permitting entities and the issues that causes.

I most likely saw it here someplace.

This was posted in July regarding the NYC deploy.  I'd expect the same or similar problems exist everywhere.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57595175-94/why-sprint-is-taking-its-sweet-time-with-4g-lte/

I'm still trying to find the article that dealt specifically with the patchwork of permitting entities and the issues that causes.

I most likely saw it here someplace.

Permits are public record and most of the Omaha permits have been filed since the first quarter of this year... As to the other article pointing to fiber as the primary delay, most of the sites in Omaha have had fiber before work has commenced indicating fiber isn't an issue. Lincoln is a smaller market with less sites it is going to be finished before Omaha. Omaha is will follow soon after.

Permits are public record and most of the Omaha permits have been filed since the first quarter of this year... As to the other article pointing to fiber as the primary delay, most of the sites in Omaha have had fiber before work has commenced indicating fiber isn't an issue. Lincoln is a smaller market with less sites it is going to be finished before Omaha. Omaha is will follow soon after.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough or used the wrong terminology.  In the article that I read, it was the recurring inspections that were part of SOME of the delays, not the initial application/permitting process.  As I understood it, there are building inspector type sign offs that have to be obtained as steps are completed in the upgrade process.  The inspectors that you have to deal with and their availability and workload varies by jurisdiction.  That's all I meant.  I'm still looking for the exact article.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough or used the wrong terminology.  In the article that I read, it was the recurring inspections that were part of SOME of the delays, not the initial application/permitting process.  As I understood it, there are building inspector type sign offs that have to be obtained as steps are completed in the upgrade process.  The inspectors that you have to deal with and their availability and workload varies by jurisdiction.  That's all I meant.  I'm still looking for the exact article.

On the city side, we can see the permit status though. On average permits are being issued within 2 weeks of being filed in Omaha. Once that is issued, Sprint has the go ahead from the city to go forward with the project. A recent site in Omaha was applied for on 9/27, the permit was issued on 10/18, and by 11/7 we had observed all of the NV equipment was there including the fiber backhaul.

At this point, the local government is out of it. Sites will still need to be inspected by Sprint via Ericsson to make sure Samsung's contractors did the work properly. Our main wait right now is for them to finish installing the NV equipment on all of the sites.

I saw 1x800 being turned on and off on Thursday and Friday in Council Bluffs (saw four different towers with 800!). Much of both days I had no data service. In fact, I started roaming on us cellular part of Friday. Clearly working on the network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw 1x800 being turned on and off on Thursday and Friday in Council Bluffs (saw four different towers with 800!). Much of both days I had no data service. In fact, I started roaming on us cellular part of Friday. Clearly working on the network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the board. As a sponsor of the site I want to make sure you know you have access to the spreadsheet and map in my signature. The map shows all of the 1x800 sites we've connected to in Nebraska and Iowa among other things including the location of every Sprint site in both states and their overall state of NV progress.

• Like 1

im thinking it is the network. cause when it is connected to 3g this is what i get. PRL has been updated

They've been converting  a fair number of sites over to NV equipment this week. We expect occasional issues to pop up with the network while this continues.

Can't even hold a phone call driving around this sucks hurry up with the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

There is a bit of irony here because the issues are precisely because of the upgrade. Approximately 1/2 of Omaha has been upgraded they are working hard daily on the other half. You have access to that information as a sponsor via the link in my signature.

• Like 1

Sorry For this Dumb Question.

How do I get Premium Membership?

I tried on all your help documents and found no info on how i can pay to get Premium membership.

Welcome! information about becoming a sponsor can be found here. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Yeah, because LTE is only active on under 20% of the Omaha metro sites. As bmoses said, the list you quoted is a Sprint marketing list. Generally a city will make that list when 40% of the population is covered by LTE.

• 3 weeks later...

Haa got myself Premium Sponsor member ship. I am Amazed to see the Network Map on Sponsor Site. Its well Worth Every Penny.

The 800LTE info for our market in the Premier forum is particularly juicy as well. :D

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haa got myself Premium Sponsor member ship. I am Amazed to see the Network Map on Sponsor Site. Its well Worth Every Penny.

Thanks for making the donation to support the site. Let us know if you have any questions on the other side.

Is there a sprint tower on the corner of 30th and potter in a KFC parking lot. There is a tower there, and today there was 3 guys tearing down all the boxes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Our equipment is across the street IIRC, behind the strip of businesses (DMV is over there I think)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk