Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

Anyone know how many towers they have done? It looks like they went from one in Lincoln and Omaha to a handful in each city. Looks like they're making good, quick progress.

We do know how many are complete in each city. It's several. However, to know specifics you need to be a sponsor. 

More info about that here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/517-nv-sites-complete/

I'm new here.  This thread is quite helpful to me for the Omaha area.  But I have a question:

I have been a Sprint business customer with 4 - 5 lines for a long, long time.  After many, many months of promises by Sprint to bring in 4G/LTE service, I got real frustrated and almost moved some lines to Verizon over the last couple months.  Then a friend told me the Sprint LTE towers are starting to light up.  But the question in the back of my mind remains.  Do I still bail and go to the competition?

I have a couple phones I want to upgrade this week and need to add another line.  Do I start moving over to Verizon or upgrade with Sprint?  Other than price, why would I continue with Sprint?  Will Sprint ever catch up to the Verizon network across the country?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tracer

I have a couple phones I want to upgrade this week and need to add another line.  Do I start moving over to Verizon or upgrade with Sprint?  Other than price, why would I continue with Sprint?  

The upgrades in the Nebraska market are just getting into full swing, it would be foolish to leave now. Things will only get better from here on out. If you have stuck it out with Sprint for this long, another month or two should be nothing. In addition to lighting up LTE, all of the 1x only towers in the Nebraska market will also be getting EVDO and LTE as well. 

Will Sprint ever catch up to the Verizon network across the country?

Coverage wise? Probably not in rural areas. But Sprint will have coverage where it counts. As part of NV, Sprint is adding 1x (voice) and LTE on the 800Mhz band. This will put Sprint almost on par with Verizon in regards to in building coverage. It will almost give Sprint the edge since Sprint generally has tighter cell spacing, which means better capacity and coverage in dense areas. It will take longer to see the network congestion and slow down that we are already seeing on Verizon. Having 1x on 800 will also expand Sprints footprint a bit. Nothing like adding more towers, but coverage will be enhanced along the fringes. What is a fringe signal now will likely become a full usable signal. 

Coverage wise, probably not anytime soon. But sprint is deploying lte in Omaha and across the county right now. Lte is live already in parts of Omaha and will fill in over the next several months.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I'm new here.  This thread is quite helpful to me for the Omaha area.  But I have a question:

I have been a Sprint business customer with 4 - 5 lines for a long, long time.  After many, many months of promises by Sprint to bring in 4G/LTE service, I got real frustrated and almost moved some lines to Verizon over the last couple months.  Then a friend told me the Sprint LTE towers are starting to light up.  But the question in the back of my mind remains.  Do I still bail and go to the competition?

I have a couple phones I want to upgrade this week and need to add another line.  Do I start moving over to Verizon or upgrade with Sprint?  Other than price, why would I continue with Sprint?  Will Sprint ever catch up to the Verizon network across the country?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tracer

It's your money.  Sprint has been the cheapest most consistent and friendly cell company I've ever worked with.  I always felt cheated by Verizon.  Verizon is the biggest, unquestionably has the largest lte network based on coverage.  I live in Omaha.  Sprint has taken a while but it is coming now.  Towers are lit.  It isn't the WiMax fiasco of a few years ago.  I'm happy to stay with a company that is treating me well and not hiking my rates and hiding charges.  Just my .02.  If you "need" the speed and need it now than you probably are already on Verizon.  Based on what I've seen on these forums Sprints network vision is real.  It is the right way to fix their network and it is being put in place as we speak in Omaha.  Why pay more when Sprint will only get better?

Edited by mrportico
  • Like 1

Just been lurking and following but wanted to chime in and say how exciting it is to finally see things happening in our market! I'm sure I'm not the only one driving around just to find LTE but my kids are starting to worry about me.... They are 9, 6 and 3 and whenever I go a "different" way to get home or where ever we are going, they ask, "Dad, why are we going this way?" and I reply, "Just trying to pick up a signal in this area". Lol 

Just think, the Softbank cash injection hasn't even started so we have got some HUGE possibilities coming, quickly, down the pike.  :tu:  :tu:

Thanks for the responses to my Sprint vs. Verizon question.

Sprint is, by far, the least expensive.  I enjoy a significant discount as a business customer.  When talking to Verizon they said the would offer a business discount for 5 lines or more but it still was less than 1/2 of what Sprint is giving me now.

I will most likely stay with Sprint now that the long-promised 4G/LTE is actually coming to fruition.

Is there any concern for Sprint going away from the unlimited data plan?

Thanks,

Tracer

Thanks for the responses to my Sprint vs. Verizon question.

Sprint is, by far, the least expensive.  I enjoy a significant discount as a business customer.  When talking to Verizon they said the would offer a business discount for 5 lines or more but it still was less than 1/2 of what Sprint is giving me now.

I will most likely stay with Sprint now that the long-promised 4G/LTE is actually coming to fruition.

Thanks,

Tracer

Not for years, and even if they did they'd be more generous than the others. It is a big differentiator for Sprint. It is nice, but I have wifi so it isn't a selling point to me.

Thanks,

Tracer

For the foreseeable future, no. Especially with Softbank's investment. So long as T-Mobile continues to offer unlimited, and Softbank wants to keep a competitive edge, I don't see unlimited on Sprint going anywhere. 

108th and potter first, I saw it was just a spot. I was gonna drive the neighbor hood and map it. The second was where Harrison and Giles meet.

I tried rebooting, made sure LTE was on, and did a PRL update right in front of where it was mapped.

Edited by Worm1981

I have drove past a couple of the sites listed on sensorly and did not pick up any 4g with sensorly running. I have the htc one, any ideas.

Keep in mind that, unless you're running the LTE Discovery app, running Sensorly can actually make it harder to find LTE. This is because Sensorly maintains an almost constant data connection, meaning the phone has less opportunities to scan for LTE.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that, unless you're running the LTE Discovery app, running Sensorly can actually make it harder to find LTE. This is because Sensorly maintains an almost constant data connection, meaning the phone has less opportunities to scan for LTE.

I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have drove past a couple of the sites listed on sensorly and did not pick up any 4g with sensorly running. I have the htc one, any ideas.

You can artificially force the phone to scan for LTE signal by putting the phone into airplane mode and then back on. I think the stock rom scans every 30min or something like that. Toggle airplane mode and it will scan for all networks.

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You can artificially force the phone to scan for LTE signal by putting the phone into airplane mode and then back on. I think the stock rom scans every 30min or something like that. Toggle airplane mode and it will scan for all networks.

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It scans much more frequent than that, and will usually pick up LTE if you are in range and there is no active data session. That's the key part. The LTE Discovery app actually cycles your phone's data connection for you so long as you aren't connected to LTE. Running that alongside Sensorly makes for great LTE detection. 

It scans much more frequent than that, and will usually pick up LTE if you are in range and there is no active data session. That's the key part. The LTE Discovery app actually cycles your phone's data connection for you so long as you aren't connected to LTE. Running that alongside Sensorly makes for great LTE detection. 

That would probably be why I was having problems getting certain 4G towers to reconnect downtown. I was running Sensorly the entire trip.