Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

I won't have an LTE phone until later this year, so it's kinda silly for me to use that app.

Truuuuu :)

I don't actually use it. From my experience the ONE is very good at picking up LTE on its own. Usually only 30 seconds to minute delayed from when I know coverage starts.

Sent from my HTC ONE

I grabbed the tools everyone was talking about and have since found what I think is the sweet spot which must be aided by the fact that my device is good at this. Sad to hear how "not good" at grabbing LTE the EVO "LTE" is but that's another story all together. 

Data is a two way street incoming and outgoing.  All I'm saying is you've dealt with the outgoing by delaying sending the reports until you've hit a wifi network.  Sensorly is still presumably maintaining an incoming or receiving data position though to locate where you are to accurately map.  That could still potentially impact tower hand-offs. 

That is all i use it for.   And I would recommend talking to the developer who is on this site.  It isn't buggy for me and it does what it supposed to do, notifies me when it connects to LTE on a Note II. 

SignalCheck Pro is another great app (I obviously have it as well) but it still only "passively" lets you know when you hit LTE.  It basically let's you know what you are connected to.  It doesn't actively seek an LTE connection like LTE discovery does.  I'll generally run SignalCheck Pro, LTE Discovery, and Sensorly simultaneously if I'm mapping. As for forcing a reset of the radios, that is what LTE discovery does every 30 seconds until it hits LTE if it is functioning properly.  That is my point.  

1. If you look at the data traffic when collecting with default vs wifi only (use what the phone shows for data traffic up/down) it is very apparent that it's night and day difference. Do it and you'll see right away that the constant locking in of data transmission is from feeding the server. When you chose to do it later, data transmission looks like normal polling. Location is most likely handled by GPS, the app is linking location to system data (what data/voice) which the phone has on it's own.  "Sensorly" servers don't know where we are/where unless we send the packages which can obviously be done at any time. The app map is powered by Google Maps and the fact that you have to have fine GPS location enabled to open, is using it for location. I don't think they would provide the option if it made it so the app didn't work right. :)

Yeah, I'm going to have to read through his whole thread to make sure I'm not bringing up old issues he has in the queue to work on. It does what it's supposed to, on my device, when it keeps working but that is not consistent.  Question, when you close the app (so like hitting home), can you actually close it without a Force Close? I can't close it and then when I kill it (because it won't close) it force closes. Maybe it's device specific, I may grab some logcat's for him, but for now, I'm finding LTE plenty fine. 

I understand your point (but manually resetting is nice). Discovery just isn't consistent for *me on my HTC One and I don't have time to go out and just map and not care about the airplane mode or quirks in the app. 

At the end of the day, all things equal (apps working 100%), for a hardcore LTE hunter, Sensorly + SignalCheck Pro + LTE Discovery (just like you use) is going to net the best and most fruitful mapping. No denying that, it's a no brainer. 

For the "want to be helpful and are curious but not at the total expense of end user experience" users (This is me), Sensorly with tweaked settings + SignalCheck Pro (for alerts and data reporting) is more suitable.  It gets the job done and doesn't interfere much. 

We're both after same end game and we'll get there, for sure.  :tu:  :tu:

In a city they are woking on LTE in, how do they decide which towers to upgrade first?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought.

There is no order to which towers get upgraded first. Sprint is upgrading the entire network, so instead of trying to prioritize certain towers and let others wait, they are upgrading every single tower as soon as it's ready. There is no regard to whether it's in the boonies or downtown. 

This will created islands of LTE that will grow over time. And while this seems a little unfriendly to the consumer, it will allow them to upgrade the network faster. 

• Like 1

That's what I thought.

There is no order to which towers get upgraded first. Sprint is upgrading the entire network, so instead of trying to prioritize certain towers and let others wait, they are upgrading every single tower as soon as it's ready. There is no regard to whether it's in the boonies or downtown.

This will created islands of LTE that will grow over time. And while this seems a little unfriendly to the consumer, it will allow them to upgrade the network faster.

OK thanks, was just curious.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

you've been missing out since june 28th.

I thought allt he people that had been saying LTE was on in North West Lincoln were crazy, but I guess it helps to Enable LTE....

I wonder how long I have had the option and not been using it. :)

1001701_740179199160_1486320641_n.jpg

I'm wondering, is 8mbps about what everyone has been getting? I don't need any faster to be honest, have never understood people that complain about having 8 compared to 20...what are you doing on your phone that you need that much more?

I'm wondering, is 8mbps about what everyone has been getting? I don't need any faster to be honest, have never understood people that complain about having 8 compared to 20...what are you doing on your phone that you need that much more?

Depends on the signal strength. Post the lte signal of the 8 megabit.

Mapped out the newest 4G tower yesterday on my run. It appears as if it was installed on the top of Oakdale Elementary School, 98th and Center. 

Standing right below it I only got 10MB down and 10MB up. Have to admit that I am a bit disappointed but considering that it is right up the street from my house I can't be THAT mad, right? 

On another note, what is the average signal distance? I was unable to get the 4G when I was on 108th and Center. Didn't try going the other direction but that is pretty disappointing that it covers such a small area.

lrC8L5d.jpg

gsoVKfy.png

My sprint lte beat Verizon's lte every time I have sprint and my gf had vzw faster speeds when I'm in lte range and faster pings too vzw sucks I'm happy with the sprint progress

Compared to Verizon's 20-30Mbps, Sprint is pretty slow. I'm assuming they will bump up the speed in the future?

You get 20-30Mbps from Verizon?? Wow. I haven't seen 20-30Mbps on my VZW hotspot in 9 months, except perhaps after Midnight. I average 2-4Mbps on Verizon at peaks times and sometimes even drop below 1Mbps. This is happening all over the country.

I'm looking forward to Sprint LTE in my area so I can have faster speeds than Verizon. :heh:

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

guys, remember in a new market where there are only a few towers live, that 1 tower broadcasting LTE will have many more people connecting to it than when the market is complete and the rest of the towers have LTE too.

for example, if normally 1000 people are covered by 4 towers you would have 250 people per tower. if 1 of those 4 towers gets LTE and it can reach 750 of those 1000 people you will have 750 people connecting to that 1 tower. once the other 3 get upgraded it will go back down to 250 people on each tower so there will be less people sharing the bandwidth.

the max speed you can get from a single sector is 37.5 Mbps, the more people on that sector, the slower your speeds will be as you will all be sharing that bandwidth. in the future sprint will be adding LTE on 800Mhz and 2500Mhz, each of those frequencies will have their own max bandwidth too. but once people get phones that support those bands people will be split between 3 different frequencies so you all won't be sharing that 1 37.5 Mbps pipe anymore :)

• Like 4

You get 20-30Mbps from Verizon?? Wow. I haven't seen 20-30Mbps on my VZW hotspot in 9 months, except perhaps after Midnight. I average 2-4Mbps on Verizon at peaks times and sometimes even drop below 1Mbps.

Work switched to Verizon data cards from Sprint about a month ago.  I’ve been averaging about 1Mbps on Verizon LTE for the last month.  I’ve been averaging 18-23 Mbps on my Sprint phone in the same areas.

You get 20-30Mbps from Verizon?? Wow. I haven't seen 20-30Mbps on my VZW hotspot in 9 months, except perhaps after Midnight. I average 2-4Mbps on Verizon at peaks times and sometimes even drop below 1Mbps. This is happening all over the country.I'm looking forward to Sprint LTE in my area so I can have faster speeds than Verizon. :heh:Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't but my friends do. I got 4Mbps on Sprint and they got 20ish Mbps on Verizon.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ran this speed test yesterday (07/17/2013) at approximately 6:00 PM CST at the intersection of NW 12th & W Adams St just east of the airport. It finished just as I was turning onto I-80 heading west.

Posted Image

Damn! I've never had anything over 9 in Omaha.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

guys, remember in a new market where there are only a few towers live, that 1 tower broadcasting LTE will have many more people connecting to it than when the market is complete and the rest of the towers have LTE too.

for example, if normally 1000 people are covered by 4 towers you would have 250 people per tower. if 1 of those 4 towers gets LTE and it can reach 750 of those 1000 people you will have 750 people connecting to that 1 tower. once the other 3 get upgraded it will go back down to 250 people on each tower so there will be less people sharing the bandwidth.

the max speed you can get from a single sector is 37.5 Mbps, the more people on that sector, the slower your speeds will be as you will all be sharing that bandwidth. in the future sprint will be adding LTE on 800Mhz and 2500Mhz, each of those frequencies will have their own max bandwidth too. but once people get phones that support those bands people will be split between 3 different frequencies so you all won't be sharing that 1 37.5 Mbps pipe anymore :)

also to add to this, LTE is very signal strength dependent. So you could be on a sector with no one else on it and have the whole 37.5 Mbps to yourself but if you are too far from the tower or have a low signal strength you could still only get 2-3 Mbps down. and you can't go off of you signal bars either, only a handful of phones show you the LTE signal strength on your bars, the rest show you your voice signal strength which can be a completely different tower than the LTE one you are connected to.

I think the HTC EVO 4G LTE has a horrible 4G antenna.  I was at lunch around 72nd and Dodge and my friend who has a GS3 was pulling down LTE no problem, while I wasn't even able to get a connection. :(

I think the HTC EVO 4G LTE has a horrible 4G antenna. I was at lunch around 72nd and Dodge and my friend who has a GS3 was pulling down LTE no problem, while I wasn't even able to get a connection. :(

I know for a fact it has a bad antenna for lte. We knew this before it was on sell.

Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

Standing right below it I only got 10MB down and 10MB up. Have to admit that I am a bit disappointed but considering that it is right up the street from my house I can't be THAT mad, right? 

On another note, what is the average signal distance? I was unable to get the 4G when I was on 108th and Center. Didn't try going the other direction but that is pretty disappointing that it covers such a small area.

10 up and down is pretty respectable. Unless you're downloading huge files, your phone isn't going to be or feel any quicker on 30Mbps than it does on 10Mbps. 

Average signal distance.... as Digi says, how long is a rope? Every site is different. The way a site is configured, it can cover two blocks, or 10 miles. It depends on how the site is set up. Is it there for capacity? (small coverage) Or widespread coverage? (lower capacity). 

Compared to Verizon's 20-30Mbps, Sprint is pretty slow.  I'm assuming they will bump up the speed in the future?

Sprint's speeds will settle to around 10Mbps once the network is complete from what I've seen in KC, with peak speeds 30-35Mbps under ideal conditions. 

I think the HTC EVO 4G LTE has a horrible 4G antenna.  I was at lunch around 72nd and Dodge and my friend who has a GS3 was pulling down LTE no problem, while I wasn't even able to get a connection. :(

Yes, it is well known that the EVO LTE will ignore weaker connections that the GS3 will connect to.

Also, as a note to everyone, the Sensorly speedtest is notoriously slower than the signal you are actually getting. Comparing between Sensorly and Speedtest.net, you will usually find a pretty big difference. 

If you feel you must run a speedtest, I would recommend the Speedtest.net app.