Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

Tweeted to @sprintcare and received word that Plattsburgh, NY 12901 will receive LTE within the next 6 months. Also mapped out on Sensorly the beginnings of LTE in the St Albans, VT area.

Maps in the Premier Sponsor section of S4GRU shows schedules for sites in Plattsbutrgh and the rest of the country. It varies by site as to when it's being upgraded. Not every Sprint site in Plattsburgh area will receive LTE within 6 months. But some will start getting it by then.

I donated a nominal amount. Hadn't realized that there were thresholds to view the upgrade schedule.

I am a Canadian who every other week or so travels through Champlain, NY 12919, Plattsburgh, NY 12901, St. Albans, VT 05478, South Burlington, VT 05403 and Williston, VT 05495 using my Nexus 5 on a grandfathered Ringplus account, a Sprint MVNO. For my limited usage, it's a perfect match.

Other than Verizon, have tried every other carrier in the aforementioned areas. Coverage has been abysmal. Only as of recent has Sprint really improved. Hopefully the upgrade schedule you speak of hits a lot of those towers.

• Like 1

Welcome and thanks for donating!!

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the "NV Sites Complete" map first to see the sites you're hitting most (or not at all in the rural areas), then see what's slated for them in the Premier schedule maps when you eventually upgrade to Premier Sponsor.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the progress of a B26 carrier card install at work today. (Technically...)

Lost all Sprint service for about an hour, got B25 back, then lost LTE and had 3G for about an hour... then LTE turned on and I was able to catch blips of B26 during the LTE --> 3G handoffs in my building. It's at a super low power level right now, but I did see it for the first time here.

This site recently got 1x800 so I'm happy the B26 card install only took a few weeks after that! I'll use this post as a moment in time to see exactly how long it takes to go from B26 installation to full optimization.

• Like 2

I watched the progress of a B26 carrier card install at work today. (Technically...)

Lost all Sprint service for about an hour, got B25 back, then lost LTE and had 3G for about an hour... then LTE turned on and I was able to catch blips of B26 during the LTE --> 3G handoffs in my building. It's at a super low power level right now, but I did see it for the first time here.

This site recently got 1x800 so I'm happy the B26 card install only took a few weeks after that! I'll use this post as a moment in time to see exactly how long it takes to go from B26 installation to full optimization.

How do you know for a FACT "super low power" was what your receiving? Your most likely getting a signal from another tower....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't believe Sprint's schedules are altered by the threat of more users in an area from a new business, unfortunately. But my guess is that the ground mount "leftover" highway sites in Upstate NY will be tackled in early 2015. We don't have any schedule info on these remaining 3G highway sites, so it's gonna be pretty far out.

In any case, it definitely will have LTE at some point, but it won't be accelerated by any outside factors.

• Like 1

I live in the Auburn area and just checked Sprint's maps for an update.

I see Spark is active, and am surprised. I back out to see more of the area and Auburn is the only area in all of upstate with Spark?

Am I hallucinating?

Makes me want to buy a new phone since my HTC One M7 isn't Spark capable.

My eyes are lying to me, right?

Why would Auburn get Spark before Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo or Albany?

Amazing.

I live in the Auburn area and just checked Sprint's maps for an update.

I see Spark is active, and am surprised. I back out to see more of the area and Auburn is the only area in all of upstate with Spark?

Am I hallucinating?

Makes me want to buy a new phone since my HTC One M7 isn't Spark capable.

My eyes are lying to me, right?

Why would Auburn get Spark before Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo or Albany?

Amazing.

B41 is all over Syracuse, it hasn't been officially launched yet. Most sites have it online and broadcasting, I'm not sure what the hold up is with launching it.
  • Like 1

Getting close to 6 months of B26 with no optimization yet. And 2 months of B41 with no optimization. :-( 

Is it possible I can call the Sprint technical line to ask if they have access to optimization crew schedule info? What if I just complain about poor signal strength on a specific band? The 5-10 people I've referred to Sprint are getting antsy wondering why VZW and ATT are still better here despite everything I've told them...

I've almost wondered... what if they just, don't optimize here? Hoping Sprint has a big push to the finish in January. I know it's popular around the forum to say that optimization takes place within up to 6 months of a B26 card install, but does anyone know the source and if that is 100% accurate? Does Sprint have to follow that timeline?

There is no 6 month timeline. That is just the average based on our observations. Sometimes it is a few weeks. Sometimes it takes nearly a year. But it will eventually happen. If LTE is formally launched in your area, you could try opening a ticket. But I wouldn't expect it to help much. Optimization will take as long as it will take. We still have AT&T doing optimization on sites in my area six months later.

• Like 2

I don't believe Sprint's schedules are altered by the threat of more users in an area from a new business, unfortunately. But my guess is that the ground mount "leftover" highway sites in Upstate NY will be tackled in early 2015. We don't have any schedule info on these remaining 3G highway sites, so it's gonna be pretty far out.

In any case, it definitely will have LTE at some point, but it won't be accelerated by any outside factors.

I wish they would do the major one first I-90, then 81, then 390&86 from GMO getting them to LTE. 

• 2 months later...

By the end of 2015 I'd love to see the highway GMO sites in NE PA, I-81, and NY get tackled. I feel like even these have higher priority than Western PA does. Even Tmo is starting to get LTE in the boondocks on highways and rural routes. 

Fingers crossed for some 90 or 180 day activity once any new schedule map info arrives. There's just so many GMO sites left, it's discouraging :-(

And an update: 8 months now with B26 and no optimization. Bleh. 

• Like 1