Sprint offers new data plans for tablets

rza_arts

Tablet unlimited data is dead. I doubt it ever comes back. The network cannot handle those devices being unlimited. Their current rate for tablets is 3Gb for 34.99. I could see them lowering it to match the pricing of ATT/Verizon or even create a cheaper data plan.

Tiered data plans are such a joke, if it were really about managing the network and not increasing profits they would just use QoS. During times of peak load, slow the heaviest users down. During off-peak hours, let the data fly.

The technology doesn't require any new hardware or changes to data plans. If I used 15GB this month and I'm trying to download at 4PM on a Monday, then throttle me down to let the light users through. At midnight when no one is using it, let me go full speed.

Given Sprint's 3G situation I don't think they'll get many takers on a tiered data plan at the same price as AT&T/VZW. Now if I can add an iPad to my monthly plan for 10 bux that's another story.

• Like 1

Isnt that sorta gonna be what DO- Advanced gonna do but not throttle users just switch people to other less congested towers around you to also get some fast speed

Tiered data plans are such a joke, if it were really about managing the network and not increasing profits they would just use QoS. During times of peak load, slow the heaviest users down. During off-peak hours, let the data fly.

The technology doesn't require any new hardware or changes to data plans. If I used 15GB this month and I'm trying to download at 4PM on a Monday, then throttle me down to let the light users through. At midnight when no one is using it, let me go full speed.

Given Sprint's 3G situation I don't think they'll get many takers on a tiered data plan at the same price as AT&T/VZW. Now if I can add an iPad to my monthly plan for 10 bux that's another story.

Tablet unlimited data is dead. I doubt it ever comes back. The network cannot handle those devices being unlimited. Their current rate for tablets is 3Gb for 34.99. I could see them lowering it to match the pricing of ATT/Verizon or even create a cheaper data plan.

lies, my Galaxy S 3 is higher resolution than iPad 2, iPad mini and matches most android tablets. It uses as much or more data than a tablet would. So why should unlimited only be for smart phones?

lies' date=' my Galaxy S 3 is higher resolution than iPad 2, iPad mini and matches most android tablets. It uses as much or more data than a tablet would. So why should unlimited only be for smart phones?[/quote']

I consume much more data on my Nexus 7 tablet than I do on my GS3 smartphone. It is an easier to use interface that is more convenient and enjoyable for media...regardless of resolution. My data consumption is approximately 3:1.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I consume much more data on my Nexus 7 tablet than I do on my GS3 smartphone. It is an easier to use interface that is more convenient and enjoyable for media...regardless of resolution. My data consumption is approximately 3:1.

Agreed, my data consumption on my TF101:OG EVO and TF101:GS2 was probably 5:1. Since my TF101 died, I've had to start getting my laptop out more and more. That will all change tomorrow with the Note 2. :)

• Like 1

I must be an outlier then. I find the convenience of my smart phone to be the reason.<br /><br />I consume vastly higher amounts of data on my smart phone compared to my tablet. Probably 100:1 as I only use my tablet for reading and for games which once downloaded consume little or no data.<br /><br />On my smart phone I stream music like there's no tomorrow and watch streaming video when I'm bored.<br /><br />2 klatapaT gnisu III S yxalaG gnusmaS ym morf tnes<br /><br /><br />

• Like 1

Not a fan of the new pricing. I am glad they are sticking it to ATT/Verizon with pricing, but I do not believe they did enough to make customers switch. I also like the idea of giving customers a discount when they add a tablet to their plan.

Tmobile seems to have better pricing than sprint. Maybe it will change once network vision is more mature.

Existing smartphone customers getting 1GB for $15 seems very reasonable to me. Since most people use 90% of their tablet usage at home with WiFi, this is an attractive offer for those times when you need tablet data connectivity on the go.

• Like 3

Existing smartphone customers getting 1GB for $15 seems very reasonable to me. Since most people use 90% of their tablet usage at home with WiFi, this is an attractive offer for those times when you need tablet data connectivity on the go.

I don't see that as a deal when I can fire up my hot spot and use 2gb for $20.
  • Like 1

I don't see that as a deal when I can fire up my hot spot and use 2gb for $20.

Because, I would guess you can get that tablet for a subsidy price and a $15/month bill (even though that's not confirmed yet, I would put money on it if I were a bettin' man). And, you know, being able to use that tablet away from your phone. Do none of y'all have family members?

I am not sure how 1gb for 15 is reasonable when tether package is 2g for $20 and not limited to a single device

Because, I would guess you can get that tablet for a subsidy price and a $15/month bill (even though that's not confirmed yet, I would put money on it if I were a bettin' man). And, you know, being able to use that tablet away from your phone. Do none of y'all have family members

Uh, I highly doubt there are going to be any subsidized prices for either the ipad 4 or the mini.

And if there was, there would be a typical 2 year contract to go along with that and not for 15$.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 2

I don't see that as a deal when I can fire up my hot spot and use 2gb for 20.
I am not sure how 1gb for 15 is reasonable when tether package is 2g for 20 and not limited to a single device

It's my opinion that it is reasonable. If people want to pay for tethering and do that, then that is great. They shouldn't probably spring for the extra 130 for the LTE model either then. I personally only get WiFi tablets myself.

But for those who do want a LTE tablet, and don't want to deal with tethering, then I believe the 15 per month deal is fair. It's great for those people who use their tablets mostly on WiFi but want some flexibility for mobile use when needed.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

But for those who do want a LTE tablet, and don't want to deal with tethering, then I believe the 15 per month deal is fair. It's great for those people who use their tablets mostly on WiFi but want some flexibility for mobile use when needed.

I think the 1GB for 15 bucks is a pretty good deal!

Yeah, I don't think these prices will convince anybody to switch to Sprint or choose Sprint instead of the others. They probably don't want too many people signing on right now either, then complaining that they can't get LTE.

Anyone know the overrage costs?

If it's like the other iPad carriers, there are no overages. It just rebills you again the amount purchased.

If you buy 1 GB on 11/14, it automatically rebills when you hit 1 GB of usage or 12/14, whichever comes first. If you only want to buy one month of data and not automatically renew, just cancel immediately and it just runs for that month/GB.

Instead of (mostly) matching price with att/vz and offering more data, they should have matched data (or even a gig over) att/vz, and beat them on price.

IE, save people a nice bit of money, not just give them more data.

Edited by dedub

I am not sure how 1gb for 15 is reasonable when tether package is 2g for $20 and not limited to a single device

[/font][/color]

Uh, I highly doubt there are going to be any subsidized prices for either the ipad 4 or the mini.

And if there was, there would be a typical 2 year contract to go along with that and not for 15$.

Bingo. Just my opinion, but i bet most Tablet users are going to use more than 1 gb per month.

It's my opinion that it is reasonable. If people want to pay for tethering and do that, then that is great. They shouldn't probably spring for the extra 130 for the LTE model either then. I personally only get WiFi tablets myself.

I agree thats its resonable. But its just not the best deal IMO. On top of that Sprint has created uneeded compresion in their pricing structure. They should have gone for the same or similar pricing as their hotspot option.