Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

I'll try to post a picture later but the new NV panels are wider and thicker and have a radio box usually right behind them. They are doing one panel per sector like that here. So if a tower antenna array was previously 2, 3 or 4 panels per sector the new style will be one larger panel per sector. It appears like at some of the sites around here they are leaving the older panels on the array too but those are likely just dummy panels now.

Robert has mentioned that the decommissioning of legacy equipment takes place a while after they install the new NV panels.

Hrmm, this looks like a different RUU vs other AL stuff I've seen. Interesting...

It also looks different than some of the others I've seen here in this market. No idea who the vendor is on this equipment.

That is an AlcaLu panel and RRU. That's what they look like in Vegas and San Diego too.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is an AlcaLu panel and RRU. That's what they look like in Vegas and San Diego too.

Updated RRU? Seems like 1 RRU vs. 2 or 3 I've seen at sites around me.

Updated RRU? Seems like 1 RRU vs. 2 or 3 I've seen at sites around me.

Why they are using less on the West Coast outside the IBEZ? I cannot say with certainty. I know that Samsung 1900 RRU's can do LTE and CDMA together. And Ericsson is working on one that can also. Perhaps these are new AlcaLu RRU's that can do both CDMA and LTE on the same RRU? Purely speculative.

Why they are using less on the West Coast outside the IBEZ? I cannot say with certainty. I know that Samsung 1900 RRU's can do LTE and CDMA together. And Ericsson is working on one that can also. Perhaps these are new AlcaLu RRU's that can do both CDMA and LTE on the same RRU? Purely speculative.

Looks like, by the photo, the 800MHz antennas are not hooked up. Just PCS with CDMA/LTE.

Robert, have you seen any better photos?

This is the typical AL config (i've posted before):

7097344567_4c0b17e1b1_k.jpg

Looks like, by the photo, the 800MHz antennas are not hooked up. Just PCS with CDMA/LTE.

Robert, have you seen any better photos?

This is the typical AL config (i've posted before):

7097344567_4c0b17e1b1_k.jpg

In San Diego and the lower part of OC and River/SB markets, the middle connectors at the bottom of the panel have not been connected. Meaning no 800. Which is to be expected at sites within the IBEZ.

However, sites in Las Vegas, San Diego, OC and River/SB seem to have a different AlcaLu RRU that is larger, almost like a cube. It is either a new RRU type, or it could be two RRU's together with a shield/housing covering them making it look like one.

These are decidedly different looking to what I've seen from AlcaLu in past deployments. I was used to seeing what you've posted above.

• Like 1

What is IBEZ?

International Boundary Exclusion Zone. It's the area along the Mexican and Canadian border where Sprint cannot deploy 800MHz wideband operations until a compromise can be reached and implemented.

Both CDMA and LTE are considered wideband operations. iDEN had very narrow channels and was coveted under the previous compromise that is in place now.

There will not be any IBEZ wideband 800 until 2014 at the earliest.

Interesting. Does this boundary zone include Orange County too? We should be far enough away from the border.

Lower OC in the San Clemente/Dana Point area is within the IBEZ. But I think the middle and Northern part are out of the IBEZ.

Lower OC in the San Clemente/Dana Point area is within the IBEZ. But I think the middle and Northern part are out of the IBEZ.

Ok great. I am in central OC.

Well, map shows LAdera Ranch tower is completed to 3g/4g- anyone have an idea as to how quickly the LTE typically shows up once the towers are completed?

It can depend on a lot of things, and there's not really any "typical" timeframe between LTE accepted, and LTE live to customers. Sometimes, the LTE equipment can be installed and accepted, but the backhaul is not in place yet, etc., which can cause a big delay between LTE accepted and going live. There are some sites in OC that have been accepted for months, but no one has been able to connect to them as of yet. And then there are others that have gone live before they even hit the map as LTE accepted. Once they do come on for testing for the first time, as we're starting to see, they are often turned off again for a while before they go live for good. Sorry there's not a more specific answer. We just have to be patient, and be happy that the work is going on here.

With NV stuff that is happening, will there better internet connectivity within Disneyland? The worse coverage I have experienced has been at Disneyland. My friends also complain about this too and they have other carriers like Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile.

In San Diego and the lower part of OC and River/SB markets, the middle connectors at the bottom of the panel have not been connected. Meaning no 800. Which is to be expected at sites within the IBEZ.

However, sites in Las Vegas, San Diego, OC and River/SB seem to have a different AlcaLu RRU that is larger, almost like a cube. It is either a new RRU type, or it could be two RRU's together with a shield/housing covering them making it look like one.

These are decidedly different looking to what I've seen from AlcaLu in past deployments. I was used to seeing what you've posted above.

An LA site on Alondra and Stage doesn't have the middle cables plugged in. Does that mean the 800Mhz isn't plugged in?

Small spot of LTE in Disneyland Area

I was talking to one of my friends, apparently that little patch on Sensorly was her, it showed up briefly in the middle of the night while she was working, and it went away pretty quickly, she says. Hopefully there's more to come.