Sprint LTE iPad 4 announced

WiWavelength

The "Apple tax" for all iPad/mini LTE variants is effectively $130. I am interested and have ample disposable income, but I question that the Qualcomm MDM9615 -- a good modem -- is worth that premium.

AJ

IMO, it's worth it, especially since it's not under contract, so you can turn your data on/off monthly. I have had a wifi iPad and wound up exchanging it for the convenience of 3G. Tethering sounds interesting, but I would want to see the Sprint plans first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cellular models are the only ones with GPS support. You can turn on/off cellular service as needed, so it's a nice addition to have.

If you own an Android phone, you already have GPS + mapping software that is superior to anything offered by Apple.

There are also a bunch of ways to have the iPad use your Iphone's GPS capabilities, especially if you're willing to Jailbreak.

So that doesn't really change the value proposition in my mind.

If you own an Android phone, you already have GPS + mapping software that is superior to anything offered by Apple.

There are also a bunch of ways to have the iPad use your Iphone's GPS capabilities, especially if you're willing to Jailbreak.

So that doesn't really change the value proposition in my mind.

I do this now. I have a Galaxy S that I tether when needed, but I also occasionally turn on the 3G on my iPad 2 and use Verizon's network when I get poor reception on my phone. Personally I think that if you are going to get a tablet with 3G/LTE you should get one on a different network than your cell phone for this exact reason.

• Like 2

I do this now. I have a Galaxy S that I tether when needed, but I also occasionally turn on the 3G on my iPad 2 and use Verizon's network when I get poor reception on my phone. Personally I think that if you are going to get a tablet with 3G/LTE you should get one on a different network than your cell phone for this exact reason.

That's what I did, on purpose. My phone is Sprint. My tablet is Verizon. And, now that T-Mobile is refarming HSPA+ to PCS, my tablet can do T-Mobile as well. I got the Verizon edition of the tablet partially because it allows tethering (the AT&T one didn't...maybe doesn't still) and because Verizon had LTE in the areas where I was while AT&T was HSPA-only.

http://9to5mac.com/2...4-99-for-300mb/

Existing sprint customers can get 100MB for $10 or 1GB for $15.

Sprint's new LTE tablet data plans (no contract required)

• $14.99 / 300MB of data
  • $34.99 / 3GB of data
  • $49.99 / 6GB of data
  • $79.99 / 12GB of data

20% more data than the other carriers offering the iPad, but overall pretty underwhelming.

IMHO, they could have given users a much more serious incentive to buy the Sprint version, considering the nascent state of the LTE network, by doing better and offering double the allotments of their competitors.

Pricing like 2GB/$15, 5/$30 and 10/$60 would have given customers who plan on picking up the other versions of this device some serious pause.

Wifi tethering off of an existing device with an unlimited plan still looks like the way to go.

• Like 2

Wifi tethering off of an existing device with an unlimited plan still looks like the way to go.

No. Do not encourage unauthorized tethering. That is a violation of the Ts and Cs, not to mention, unethical. Unlimited data is *limited* to a single device. That restriction is part of the price you pay for unlimited data.

AJ

• Like 1

2GB Mobile Hotspot - $19.99

6GB Mobile Hotspot - $49.99

The normal tethering package is a better deal, since you aren't limited to just one device compared to the tablet plans. And you aren't paying the 'apple tax' for a cellular tablet.

or go get a clearwire hotspot for unlimited wimax for $50

Edited by dedub

No. Do not encourage unauthorized tethering. That is a violation of the Ts and Cs' date=' not to mention, unethical. Unlimited data is *limited* to a single device. That restriction is part of the price you pay for unlimited data.

AJ[/quote']

And also a violation of our posting guidelines. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 2