Huh? Clear ?

markjcc

Is it not possible to have both Wimax and LTE radios on the device? I realize the rep is probably just trying to sell him, but I am wondering if there is hotspot hardware that could support both Wimax and LTE?

Is it not possible to have both Wimax and LTE radios on the device? I realize the rep is probably just trying to sell him, but I am wondering if there is hotspot hardware that could support both Wimax and LTE?

Of course there is. That's Sprint LTE there, but Clear could develop one that supports Clear's WiMax and LTE. However, I don't know if they will, have not heard anything about it. I do not know if they are even going to be offering their LTE service to the regular consumer outside of wholesale agreements with Sprint and any other company they make an agreement with.

The point though is that there is no Clear device for sale that anyone can buy now that supports Clear WiMax and Clear LTE. There is no device in America right now that is for sale that runs on Clear's LTE network at all.

We had the same issue when Sprint LTE started to release where there was lots of misinformation that Sprint WiMax devices would have a software OTA to run on Sprint LTE. I battled that nonsense daily.

There is currently only a hotspot and soon a USB device that Sprint has that will run Sprint LTE and Clear WiMax. But nothing runs on Clear LTE. And also currently, no Clear devices run on Sprint LTE.

And furthermore, if you buy a WiMax device right now from Clear, it will not run on Clear LTE that comes out next year. That would require a device upgrade later.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 3

This is why outsourced customer service sucks. No doubt there is some guy sitting in a dingy, poorly lit room in a third world country, halfway around the world pretending his name is "Chris," "Bob" or "Nick" who is attempting to handle your legitimate inquiry with a ready made list of answers that is only 5 or 10 deep (and whose native tongue is CLEARLY not English, pun intended). Ugh....I don't even bother with CSRs anymore, be it via phone or live chat. For all intents and purposes they are essentially useless.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A total technology change has happened in clearwires history already. They had plans for this already and it worked extremely well. They replaced the expedience devices 1-1 with wimax devices and did a rapid change-out.

So "upgraded to work with LTE" is 100% accurate

I can tell you that hardware does exist that can do CDMA (CdmaOne, 1xRTT, EVDO, and SVDO) GSM, EDGE, GPRS, UTMS, iDEN, WiMax and LTE-A as well as non cellular protocols such as DMR, P25, or TETRA. Just don't ever expect to see it in your smartphone unless you're the head of the some shady agency, or the modern incarnate of Howard Hughes. The technology however is called Software Defined Radio or SDR, and uses a FPGA microprocessor to generate the waveform pattern of whatever signaling protocol(s) is installed via software, instead of the standardized hardware implementation we commonly use today. The only people making or using these things are defense contractors for JTRS and ETUS Laboratories for research/scientific applications.

A watered down SDR from ETUS costs around $1500 USD and is limited to 300 milliwatts output. Even die hard Apple iNuts wouldn't pay that for an SDR iPhone, even if it had a GLADDOS style piece of Steeve Jobs soul in it.....
  • Like 2

There is also a couple of SDR's models that are Ham gear also. But they are hf and hf to vhf. There are actually 2 devices that Sprint has to Cover 3g/Wimax/LTE. 1 is mentioned above and the other is a USB dongle.

There is also a couple of SDR's models that are Ham gear also. But they are hf and hf to vhf. There are actually 2 devices that Sprint has to Cover 3g/Wimax/LTE. 1 is mentioned above and the other is a USB dongle.

Flex Rig's I know them. Icom is better lol 73's

This reminds me of the conversation I had with a Sprint rep back in June 2012 when I was upgrading my EVO Shift 4G to the EVO 4G LTE. Despite my knowing otherwise, this woman was very certain that the new LTE device would be able to utilize WiMax while waiting for the LTE upgrade to occur. She was so sure I actually began to research whether she was right. Of course she wasn't, but how many people were disappointed when they realized they lost "4G" in the upgrade?

To the best of my knowledge, most of those are "tweaks" to the underlying chipset on the USB dongles, or stand alone devices. Plus they are limited in the bandwidth that they can utilize. The devices I was making reference to were completely unchained from band limitations due to their designs, and are built from the ground up to for the purpose of being a dedicated SDR.

The new JTRS are surprisingly shoddy though. The only ones said to have been able to operate reasonably are the Thales AN/PRC-148 v2, or the Harris AN/PRC-152 MBITR,.

I can tell you that hardware does exist that can do CDMA (CdmaOne, 1xRTT, EVDO, and SVDO) GSM, EDGE, GPRS, UTMS, iDEN, WiMax and LTE-A as well as non cellular protocols such as SINCGARS, APCO-25, or TETRA. Just don't ever expect to see it in your smartphone unless you're the head of the FCC enforcement agency, or the modern incarnate of Howard Hughes. The technology however is called Software Defined Radio or SDR, and uses a FPGA microprocessor to generate the waveform pattern of whatever signaling protocol(s) is installed via software, instead of the standardized hardware implementation we commonly use today. The only people making or using these things are defense contractors for the US DoD under the JSTARS program and ETUS Laboratories for research/scientific applications.

A watered down SDR from ETUS costs around $1500 USD and is limited to 300 milliwatts output. Even die hard Apple iNuts wouldn't pay that for an SDR iPhone, even if it had a GLADDOS style piece of Steeve Jobs soul in it.....

Or you could just say it's in base stations, but too large to move around. :)