Network Vision/LTE - Providence Market

nooblube

I was told the towers that are on are all the lte we're getting. There's some new bull there shoveling at me about lte spark? Now the completion date is some time in January with activation in February

As long as it's a February 2014 completion. :lol:

i would find it hard to believe that whats on now is all were getting, to be honest LTE is spotty at best right now, I'm not sure about iPhones cause i know they connect to LTE much quicker, but my note 2 will drop out of LTE coverage, and will pass through 3 more known sites (295 between exit 3 and 8) cause it took too long for the phone to switch back to LTE. 

I was told the towers that are on are all the lte we're getting. There's some new bull there shoveling at me about lte spark? Now the completion date is some time in January with activation in February

Your market is nowhere close to having all the towers complete. 7 more have had LTE activated just in the last couple of day.

Once you receive LTE from a tower, that means work has been completed on that tower and (in general) testing has been completed. If you are seeing weaker signal than you expected, usually that means there is another site closer that has yet to be upgraded.

Also note that "launch day" is nothing more than a press release acknowledging that LTE coverage has reached acceptable levels and you're now considered an official LTE market. Coverage does not change from the day before to the day after the "launch."

Spark is another matter, that is related to Clear's WiMax network. Clear/Sprint is in the process of overlaying TD-LTE on top of the existing WiMax network. This is the network that has the potential of delivering 50-70Mbps speeds. The network overlay will largely be complete by early Spring. This is unrelated to the Network Vision PCS LTE rollout.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I called to se why my wife's s3 (on boost mobile) has better reception than my iPhone. They then went on to tell me that RI was set to be updated to Spark and that the normal LTE build out was done, as it may be just not activated at every site yet. She also told me that the s3 is a gsm phone and that's why it had better connection? I do know there's a SIM in my iPhone so wouldn't that be a GSM connection as well? God I don't know why I call them cause every time it's a different line of bull!!

Well I called to se why my wife's s3 (on boost mobile) has better reception than my iPhone. They then went on to tell me that RI was set to be updated to Spark and that the normal LTE build out was done, as it may be just not activated at every site yet. She also told me that the s3 is a gsm phone and that's why it had better connection? I do know there's a SIM in my iPhone so wouldn't that be a GSM connection as well? God I don't know why I call them cause every time it's a different line of bull!!

Yeah pretty much everything there is false.

The LTE build out is nowhere close to done.

"Spark" rollout has just started, and won't be fully complete until Spring.

Your iPhone and the GS3 are both CDMA phones, but they do have nano or embedded SIMs for LTE authentication. That does not make either of them a GSM phone.

Its well known that the GS3 has a pretty darn good LTE radio, and can out perform the iPhone in some cases.

Now, pick up a Nexus 5 off the Play Store and you'll be blown away by the LTE reception it gets.

BTW, I do have access to NV information on a site by site basis, which sites have LTE enabled and which don't, as well as where "Spark" is going online first. I'm just telling you that so you know I'm not trying to blow smoke here.

The reality is its going to take a while to finish building out the network, but realize that's its not even close to complete yet. Any gaps or holes should be filled in by completion, and then some when 800 LTE is activated in your area early next year.

So what's with the tower on centre of New England blvd in Coventry? It was up and working a few months ago then went down all together then came back up with 3G only ??

Well, not sure. Its entirely possible something broke. I don't have my desktop in front of me right now.

Your market is nowhere close to having all the towers complete. 7 more have had LTE activated just in the last couple of day. Once you receive LTE from a tower, that means work has been completed on that tower and (in general) testing has been completed. If you are seeing weaker signal than you expected, usually that means there is another site closer that has yet to be upgraded. Also note that "launch day" is nothing more than a press release acknowledging that LTE coverage has reached acceptable levels and you're now considered an official LTE market. Coverage does not change from the day before to the day after the "launch." Spark is another matter, that is related to Clear's WiMax network. Clear/Sprint is in the process of overlaying TD-LTE on top of the existing WiMax network. This is the network that has the potential of delivering 50-70Mbps speeds. The network overlay will largely be complete by early Spring. This is unrelated to the Network Vision PCS LTE rollout. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

your knowledge is remarkable. thanks for all the insight, I knew something didn't make sense when someone said what we have now is all were getting. Thanks for showing a light at the end of the tunnel

and although you mention launch day is nothing more than a press release, its nice having an idea that were not in limbo wondering anymore.

And the thing that a lot of people misunderstand, is that even after launch, the network still isn't complete. Unfortunately, launch comes when only 40-50% of the market is complete. There will still be sites that are not complete and work continues for many months after launch in most cases.

centre of new England blvd Coventry RI 02816. It's off 95 exit 7 cross street is newlondon turnpike

Ohhh. That's the name of the road.. Wow. Ha.

OK, found the site. It was never 4G complete, it's currently sitting at only 3G which more than likely means that appropriate backhaul is not available.

That must be the issue. It was live with 4g then the signal boosted to get into my work the it went down with issues and came back up 3G. Guess the back haul they had in place crashed the tower cause it was only a few days after it was up that it went down compleatly

• 2 weeks later...

any news on what happens to the tower on Diamond Hill Rd in Woonsocket between Mendon Rd and Wrentham Rd? It launched with LTE about a month ago but its been down to 3g for a few weeks now. it was one of the first towers in the area that had LTE. 

post-10685-0-50108600-1386240221_thumb.jpg

I get lte some days and 3g some days in Warren RI, it's odd. Either a strong 4g signal or none at all.

Still waiting for Portsmouth 02871 (Aquidneck Island) to continue to light up.

i notice that too, i see it a lot on rt 24/495 also, seems anywhere there is sprint LTE sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I had 4g lte for about a month here on Cranston Providence border. Been 3g only past day and even that is spotty. I get 4g when I leave the house so it's not my phone is it?

It's probably just the initial stage of it going live and some subsequent testing and adjustments.

Sent from my S4

Do you think I can expect it to return? I'm not impatient. I just need to know now :)

Of course it will return but it could be a few weeks or even a month or so till it's 100%

Sent from my S4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I live very close to Brown in Providence and am wondering about the state of my service. Am I the only one experiencing all these issues with non-working data?

For example, I was at Providence Place last night and was trying to show my friends Siri. My  phone said LTE on it, but I got no data whatsoever. Nothing worked. I tried turning off LTE, etc. Nothing. I didn't get working data until I went down a few blocks towards Dunkin Donuts center. 

then this morning, I was at home and had the same issues.

I've been driving around Providence all day and the max I've seen on LTE has been about 8-9 mbps. Where's all those 20+ mbps speeds I've seen online here!?

Hello!

I live very close to Brown in Providence and am wondering about the state of my service. Am I the only one experiencing all these issues with non-working data?

Where's all those 20+ mbps speeds I've seen online here!?

Providence has not launched and there are very few accepted sites.

They are most likely in the build/ testing phase of this things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk