Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

Yep I actually left sprint because

I was using an airave device. Which

Would always send 10 of the same text messages to whomever I text and then would lock up my phone. Sprint sent me a return box to which I mailed out the very next day. Anyways they told me that they needed the package back in 7 days. Sprint received the packed 4 days later per tracking. But they took another week to process the package to with I was charged about 110 dollars. I went back and forth for about 3 frustrating weeks trying to get

A refund. But in the end they said sorry... They cannot reverse the charge. So with the slow data Speeds here plus what Sprint did to me after 13 years of loyalty?

I had to move. Simply put

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

I have the sneaking suspicion that T-Mobile will change back to their throttled data crap after they see all the money they could make nickel and diming their unlimited customers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I have the sneaking suspicion that T-Mobile will change back to their throttled data crap after they see all the money they could make nickel and diming their unlimited customers

Plus when it was with Sprint my monthly bill was 160.00.

Yup who knows? What T mobile has in store later. But as of now I am not locked in any contract. I can bail if they get greedy.

As it is. I enrolled into that jump program. Which allows me to upgrade my phone every 6 months.

My bill for 2 lines unlimited talk text wifi calling, one line unlimited data and the other with 2.5GB.

Is 128.00 total with insurance.

Plus in Honolulu. T-mobile just bumped up their lte speeds.

I almost got 60MB down today.

With average speeds almost 50MB

DL.

Edited by HawaiiD

Every now and then, the map starts showing NV only updates. Usually, after a while, it goes back to showing NV and Legacy updates. 

Thank you.  Looked today, and it's back up to 36.  At least it's nice to see that they do have NV updates.  It's progress.

Bill, I give you mad props for waiting out Nv for Hawaii.

I left for T-mobile 3 months ago.

I couldn't be happier.

I just couldn't handle the slow

Roll out coupled with the slow data

Speeds we have here in Hawaii.

Hopefully, Sprint will finally get things

Done sooner than later though.

Actually, I just started with Sprint.  I was with Mobi, who has no announced plans for any LTE service.  After several years of dealing with Craigslist and flashing semi-obsolete phones instead of using Mobi's totally obsolete phones I had enough.  Sprint had the best promo offer, and for a family of 4, the monthly bill is not much higher than what we paid for Mobi.  Overall I'm happy with Sprint.  And since I'm a new customer, I'm perhaps a bit more patient than the long time customers. :)

Bill, I give you mad props for waiting out Nv for Hawaii.

I left for T-mobile 3 months ago.

I couldn't be happier.

I just couldn't handle the slow

Roll out coupled with the slow data

Speeds we have here in Hawaii.

Hopefully, Sprint will finally get things

Done sooner than later though.

This is trolling. I'm sorry, but your response to the quoted post had nothing to do with his question. He didn't even complain. We will not allow you to crap on everyone from Hawaii who posts in our forums. Since you offer no posts that offer any value to the discussion, this will be your final warning.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oahu better have some LTE by the time I go again next June!

Here's a good sign. From the Sprint Forums:

Thanks for the additional info. Both towers that support you, one near WAIMANU STREET and the other near KAPIOLANI BLVD are scheduled to have tower replacements conducted within the next 180 days. We will be installing Network Vision towers that will supply increased coverage, improved voice quality, 3G data enhancements and 4G LTE.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

They are now giving timeframes and dates. It's coming.

Here's a good sign. From the Sprint Forums:

Thanks for the additional info. Both towers that support you, one near WAIMANU STREET and the other near KAPIOLANI BLVD are scheduled to have tower replacements conducted within the next 180 days. We will be installing Network Vision towers that will supply increased coverage, improved voice quality, 3G data enhancements and 4G LTE.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

They are now giving timeframes and dates. It's coming.

Does it say where on Kapiolani Blvd? That's one long Blvd.

From almost downtown to Kaimuki.

WAIMANU is pearl city?

Edited by HawaiiD

Does it say where on Kapiolani Blvd? That's one long Blvd. From almost downtown to Kaimuki. WAIMANU is pearl city? Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

That statement was in response to a poster who gave their location as:

My home located at the cross-section of "Kawaiahao St" and "Kamakee St".  Thanks

So That means downtown.

Of course it's coming or they wouldn't have building permit applications in... But those permits are the real deciding factor now. They could easily spend the next 180 days continuing to wait for the permits and not get any tower work done.

Of course it's coming or they wouldn't have building permit applications in... But those permits are the real deciding factor now. They could easily spend the next 180 days continuing to wait for the permits and not get any tower work done.

Hawaii is a very slow state my friend, they process things VERY slow

Hawaii is a very slow state my friend, they process things VERY slow

Yes. Hawaii is the example of the worst case scenario for project speed. I have yet to find another area where a permit taking over a year to process is not surprising. When compared to Hawaii, everyone else loses their right to complain. :P

Yes. Hawaii is the example of the worst case scenario for project speed. I have yet to find another area where a permit taking over a year to process is not surprising. When compared to Hawaii, everyone else loses their right to complain. :P

nTelos.

nuff said!

Are you here for nTelos or sprint?

this reminds me of HawaiiD always dropping T-Mobile this T-Mobile that.

Markjcc if you go back to page one of this thread I had a lot to say about Sprint. Until that is...

Are you here for nTelos or sprint?

this reminds me of HawaiiD always dropping T-Mobile this T-Mobile that.

Sprint quite obviously. The context of that post is that you said, "Compared to Hawaii, everyone loses their right to complain". My statement was meant to show that, that isn't the case. Those who live in nTelos area (A Sprint Partner) are having an even harder time with this. Hawaii is Sprint corporate so you'll have LTE surely. nTelos land is not even sure if they'll get LTE.

• Like 2

Sprint quite obviously. The context of that post is that you said, "Compared to Hawaii, everyone loses their right to complain". My statement was meant to show that, that isn't the case. Those who live in nTelos area (A Sprint Partner) are having an even harder time with this. Hawaii is Sprint corporate so you'll have LTE surely. nTelos land is not even sure if they'll get LTE.

ah okay i get it 

By look at the time it took for a permit for the NV 3G conversions from IDEN to go through the permit Apr 2012 through Nov 2012, and issued on the Jan 2013 it looks like the same time table for a lot of 4G permits.  SO sprint will not start until Feb 2014.  I like to know why sprint decide to start so late with just applying for the permits?  They should of known from past experiences.  The company just not care about there customers.  But all the other carriers are doing the same thing here in Hawaii.  Sprint could have been ahead of the game if they submitted the permits earlier.   

By look at the time it took for a permit for the NV 3G conversions from IDEN to go through the permit Apr 2012 through Nov 2012, and issued on the Jan 2013 it looks like the same time table for a lot of 4G permits. SO sprint will not start until Feb 2014. I like to know why sprint decide to start so late with just applying for the permits? They should of known from past experiences. The company just not care about there customers. But all the other carriers are doing the same thing here in Hawaii. Sprint could have been ahead of the game if they submitted the permits earlier.

They had to wait until ALU was complete with the RF design to a start permitting. And obviously Hawaii was a lower priority. Sprint already has WiMax there.

They had to wait until ALU was complete with the RF design to a start permitting. And obviously Hawaii was a lower priority. Sprint already has WiMax there.

How can be Hawaii be a lower priority, its a major tourist destination, we even have a disney resort here!!

Sprint is the last carrier in Hawaii to start out its LTE build

T-mobile is started on the west side of Maui (Honolulu done)

AT&T is Done

Verizon is way done before.

• Like 1

How can be Hawaii be a lower priority, its a major tourist destination, we even have a disney resort here!!

AT&T is Done

Cost (shipping of components isn't cheap and usually comes from the mainland... plus, everything has to go through Oahu ports first before heading to any of the neighbor islands, which adds to the time/cost) , (possible) lack of experienced/trained local contractors (just my guess) , & (most definitely) the red tape to get proper permits. As a business, Sprint needs to make sure the markets with the most subscribers are taken cared of first. Maybe Sprint isn't so popular there... A lot of my family and friends there use Verizon/AT&T.

Like I said a few months ago... Hawaii is usually always last to get stores, services and in this case LTE from Sprint. Sure the competition has LTE there, but I'm sure they focused mainly on the mainland first before heading here. At least, quoting Robert, there is Wimax to use in the meantime.

If anyone here was expecting a quick LTE expansion there then well... I'd say history is repeating itself as the Wimax launch was sluggish and it looks to have happened again with LTE. Let's hope the quoted Feb 2014, hopefully sooner, is really when things start happening.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4.

Cost (shipping of components isn't cheap and usually comes from the mainland... plus, everything has to go through Oahu ports first before heading to any of the neighbor islands, which adds to the time/cost) , (possible) lack of experienced/trained local contractors (just my guess) , & (most definitely) the red tape to get proper permits. As a business, Sprint needs to make sure the markets with the most subscribers are taken cared of first. Maybe Sprint isn't so popular there... A lot of my family and friends there use Verizon/AT&T.

Like I said a few months ago... Hawaii is usually always last to get stores, services and in this case LTE from Sprint. Sure the competition has LTE there, but I'm sure they focused mainly on the mainland first before heading here. At least, quoting Robert, there is Wimax to use in the meantime.

If anyone here was expecting a quick LTE expansion there then well... I'd say history is repeating itself as the Wimax launch was sluggish and it looks to have happened again with LTE. Let's hope the quoted Feb 2014, hopefully sooner, is really when things start happening.

So you're telling me to go back to my gs2 with spotty wimax service? I hope they get some lte installed and accepted on Oahu before December...I'd be a nice Christmas gift

AT&T is Done

How? It is. Somewhere had to be last. Sprint chose Hawaii to be in the final round. I would have too. If you don't like how bad bureaucracy is in Hawaii, start a grassroots organization and do something about it. But you are the victims of your own government inaction.

You can blame Sprint and say they should know how awful Hawaii is and they should have started sooner. You can say that Sprint's Network Vision planning is awful because Hawaii takes double to quadruple the time of even incompetent stateside governments to issue permits. Or you can acknowledge that complacent Hawaiians who do not hold their government accountable is the real issue here.

The bottom line is Hawaii is a tough place to do business. It's a place where things are expensive and competition is strong. Sprint also likely has a low market share there. So with all this together, why would Sprint make it a priority? It is what it is.

I live in a final round market too. No LTE in my area yet either. In a lot of ways New Mexico is like Hawaii. An inept government full of bureaucracy and a citizenry that is complacent and overly dependent on government. Permitting and planning here started the same time as Hawaii. But we have NV sites In Progress.

New Mexico and Hawaii deserved to be in the final round for Sprint. It makes sense all things considered. We also were near the end of Verizon's LTE deployment. AT&T just recently launched LTE in only one of our cities. So the other carriers also considered us last. Sprint is just starting later, and we all knew that even two years ago that Sprint was starting last.

But the difference between New Mexico and Hawaii's deployment of Network Vision is the degrees of their government bureaucracy. New Mexico is one of the worst states in the Union to do business. Hawaii just managed to find a way to be even much worse than that. It's something I'm sure you've dealth with your whole residency in Hawaii and it's not limited to just how it impacts your Sprint service. And it will not be going away as long as you live there.

So you're telling me to go back to my gs2 with spotty wimax service? I hope they get some lte installed and accepted on Oahu before December...I'd be a nice Christmas gift

If you truly want faster Internet than 3G and can manage to hold a steady Wimax signal, I'd say sure, go back to the GS2. I used to switch from my Note 2 and GS2 all the time for the same reason. It doesn't cost you to switch phones if it's been activated on the account previously. But now, mainly stick to my Note 2 cause the battery life is a lot better and most places I'm at (work, home, public Wifi, etc) already have Wifi to use. If you're worried about security, setup a VPN... that's what I do.

Sure, it'd be nice to listen to online radio or my online music storage using LTE instead of the car radio, but that's just how things are. Born and raised there, you definitely get used to waiting and waiting. If you can't wait it out, then there are other providers that can satisfy that need for LTE.