Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

Has no one else seen LTE equipment go up anywhere else? I find it odd that they would be installing stuff on Kauai and no one has seen installations on Oahu. This is the only tower on the island that has been upgraded so far, though. It's definitely not broadcasting LTE anytime soon - this was installed over three weeks ago and no one has touched the tower since. Are they waiting for base station stuff, or what?  <_<

Has no one else seen LTE equipment go up anywhere else? I find it odd that they would be installing stuff on Kauai and no one has seen installations on Oahu. This is the only tower on the island that has been upgraded so far, though. It's definitely not broadcasting LTE anytime soon - this was installed over three weeks ago and no one has touched the tower since. Are they waiting for base station stuff, or what?  <_<

I just said the first Honolulu permit issued last week... they can't do anything without permits.

Funny thing is, since these antennas have been installed, my service has gone to crap. I've always gotten full 6 bars standing 50ft away from this tower, and now I get around 2-3. Service dies about 1/2 mile up the road when before it would die about 2 miles up the road.

I'm not picking up any LTE signals, so I assume they haven't done the work on the ground yet, just mounted the antennas and run the cables. Anyone familiar with the process of installing this kind of equipment - do they usually mount the antennas first and then do ground work later? They left the gate to the tower property open, so I assume they're not done yet.

When they begin the install of NV gear they generally shut down the tower. When it comes back up your service will probably return to normal or slightly better. Also when it comes back up, it probably will not be broadcasting LTE. AlcaLu likes their markets to have a significant number of sites ready for LTE integration before they start that phase, so expect this to be months down the road. They will have almost all of the physical LTE work complete before they leave, but they can't integrate until new backhaul arrives. Watch for a telecom crew trenching for new fiber to the site.

When they begin the install of NV gear they generally shut down the tower. When it comes back up your service will probably return to normal or slightly better. Also when it comes back up, it probably will not be broadcasting LTE. AlcaLu likes their markets to have a significant number of sites ready for LTE integration before they start that phase, so expect this to be months down the road. They will have almost all of the physical LTE work complete before they leave, but they can't integrate until new backhaul arrives. Watch for a telecom crew trenching for new fiber to the site.

any idea which telecom (hawaiian telecom?) and if the site is shared with other providers can they piggy back off their fiber run if they use the same telecom provider?

Well, it's a plus that hawaiian telcom has been running fiber this whole year around Oahu. Hopefully it doesn't take too long after the tower upgrade that the fiber will be hooked up

Just looked at the map. The first permitted site on Oahu is in freaking Mapunapuna! Great for all those warehouses down there...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The first permitted site on Oahu is in freaking Mapunapuna! Great for all those warehouses down there...

You seem annoyed by this, but I fail to understand why.

1: It appears quite a few people work in that area. They'll probably be quite happy to have LTE at work.

2: That permit does not directly translate into a spot in line for LTE. It'll probably get 3G upgrades and the rest of the tower work completed before other sites, but by the time LTE starts rolling out some months down the line there will be dozens of sites on Oahu that are 3G accepted and any one of them could get LTE.

You seem annoyed by this, but I fail to understand why.

1: It appears quite a few people work in that area. They'll probably be quite happy to have LTE at work.

2: That permit does not directly translate into a spot in line for LTE. It'll probably get 3G upgrades and the rest of the tower work completed before other sites, but by the time LTE starts rolling out some months down the line there will be dozens of sites on Oahu that are 3G accepted and any one of them could get LTE.

The fact it is an industrial \ commercial zoning possibly made for quicker permit approval and\or easier access to backhaul. The SAR approval would be significantly easier to obtain. The location will also be significantly easier to obtain landowner permission compared to the roof of an office building or hotel so it could be intentionally first to allow them to 'practice' on a site with less time constraints imposed by land \ property owners. 

The fact it is an industrial \ commercial zoning possibly made for quicker permit approval and\or easier access to backhaul. The SAR approval would be significantly easier to obtain. The location will also be significantly easier to obtain landowner permission compared to the roof of an office building or hotel so it could be intentionally first to allow them to 'practice' on a site with less time constraints imposed by land \ property owners.

Yes, yes but irrelevant, not sure what search and rescue has to do with building permits, probably doesn't matter due to contracts, no.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yes, yes but irrelevant, not sure what search and rescue has to do with building permits, probably doesn't matter due to contracts, no.

Meh meant SMA not SAR :) I should add that I was just thinking out loud. I have some local experience of the permitting process in general, especially SMA from both sides of it but I haven't experience of sprints contracts. 

I just have some questions and am a little confused, so maybe someone can help and clear it up. Why on sprints website does it say that in the last 6 months there have been dozens of data speed improvements on their towers in Honolulu, yet people are saying only one permit has been issued. How could they have been doing these upgrades if only the first permit was issued last week?  

Also in a sprint Community forum:

Thanks for your reply. Judging by what I see we will have LTE coverage on most of the islands by spring of 2014 (this is an estimate), we are already running beta testing LTE towers around the airport and Pearl Harbor. We understand the churn risk while completing the project, but we have to do it and we are not going to sacrifice quality for speed. Our prices beat the competition hands down and we will have broadband speed and crystal clear voice quality once we complete. Please hang in there for us, we will have this finished soon.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

So basically what Im asking is how has only been one permit been issued, when supposedly there are already some live towers with LTE? (has anyone ever picked these up signals? I never have and I've never seen them mapped) As well as all the other supposed upgrades according to the sprint map? If anyone could explain this that would be very appreciated. 

I'm could be wrong but the lte sites active are on federal land and didn't need permits from the state. Also the are continuing to upgrade the '3g' network (more t1s etc) which is why you see their site mentioning upgrades that don't mean network vision / lte.

I'm sure others will be along soon to give a more accurate / complete answer :)

Edit: I suppose, technically they could be upgrades to fractional t3 I can't see multiple or even a single full to being needed but there will bea point where a ft3 is cheaper than multiple t1's.

I guess what Im asking is doesn't sprint need to get permits to upgrade the towers, regardless of whether it is LTE or 3G? If they have had all these upgrades over the past 6 months, and have had access to the towers, why couldn't they have been installing LTE equipment? Or is my thinking just completely off? 

I guess what Im asking is doesn't sprint need to get permits to upgrade the towers, regardless of whether it is LTE or 3G? If they have had all these upgrades over the past 6 months, and have had access to the towers, why couldn't they have been installing LTE equipment? Or is my thinking just completely off?

99 percent of the time, they need permits issued

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

If it is something very minor like an additional t1 which doesn't require electrical or structural changes (beyond perhaps adding a line card) or an increase in commit on a fractional t3 then no permit is needed because nothing really changes in a manner that the county is worried about (visually, electrically, flooding,  sewage, noise etc).  It's like the difference between the Hawaiian tel turning on your phone when you move in vs having dish come and physically install a huge dish. One is a 'soft' change,  the other is a physical change. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First permit issued in Honolulu last week. Have a little water to flush out some of that salt. ;)

How can we search for these types of permits in Honolulu, HI to see where Sprint is at with permits being issued for us here in Hawaii?

How can we search for these types of permits in Honolulu, HI to see where Sprint is at with permits being issued for us here in Hawaii?

The sponsor map thread linked in my sig has the info you seek.

I see LTE in Oahu in the sponsors map. Someone want to map it in Sensorly?

They can't. It's inside a Sprint Data Center. And the building is behind a locked gate and security fence.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

They can't. It's inside a Sprint Data Center. And the building is behind a locked gate and security fence.

Someone who works for Sprint is such a tease to map that on Sensorly. :P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How is there an LTE speed test in Waipahu?

Posted Image

post-13269-13894647255_thumb.jpg

How is there an LTE speed test in Waipahu?

Posted Image

It has to be coming from a site. It is not coming from the TOY CELL accepted complete inside the 4G core in Pearl City. Hopefully that is a good sign of a Hawaii LTE site acceptance soon.

• Like 1