Sign in to follow this  
chappo2000

USA Today: Sprint buys majority control of Clearwire

Oops, sorry for the repost. :-(

Sprint buys majority control of Clearwire

Top Stories | Updated 1h 56m ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Sprint is buying out the founder of Clearwire to gain majority control of the wireless network operator.

Sprint's move follows a pledge by Japan's Softbank to infuse Sprint with cash by buying a majority stake in it.

In a regulatory filing Thursday, Sprint Nextel said it will pay wireless pioneer Craig McCaw and his holding company $100 million for a 5 % stake in Clearwire, pushing Sprint's stake above 50%.

Clearwire has the right to use a large share of the nation's airwaves, but lacks the money to renovate and expand its network.

Sprint has been struggling financially too, and hasn't been in a position to invest in Clearwire until Monday's announcement that Japanese cellphone company Softbank would buy 70% of Sprint for $20 billion.

Source: http://usat.ly/RGrULb

Edit: Nvm there's already a couple threads going on this.

Oops. Just noticed someone had already posted the same story. lol

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By KnarfOH
      I am presently customer of the old Clearwire for home internet service.  By twist of fate, there are no other high-speed internet providers in my area - NOTHING! - unless you consider satellite services.  Clearwire was reluctant to give me a CLEAR EXPRESS HUB and sign me up originally because my home is literally shown to be in a marginal area of service.  My lot was shown to be covered but not the adjacent lots (not sure how that happens?).  Anyway, they gave me the modem and I experience around 6 Mbps downloads and 1 Mbps uploads (with an outside antenna).  For someone coming off dial-up and satellite (Wildblue) these speeds were terrific!  I am happy!  I understand my service is not as good as many others, but for this area it is fabulous!   With the recent announcements that Clearwire's Wimax service will be phased out by the end of 2015 - I am on pins and needles waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I live in Canal Winchester (suburb of Columbus, OH) and would be devastated If I lost my Clearwire service and we are not part of some Sprint LTE upgrade that will allow us to obtain high-speed internet when Clearwire goes away   Why isn't Sprint more open about their future plans to provide service to areas they acquired from Clearwire, including types of services and time frames other then generalities that I sometimes see published.  The tower I ping off of is located in Columbus (moderate density housing) and I have to believe that Columbus (15th largest city in the USA) would be near the top.  The tower is 3 to 4 miles away.  

• By bandwithhog
      I received an email from Clearwire today that my old $37.50 rate per device (I have two) will increase by $5 on my next billing cycle. Okay, I have been (Ab)using Clear for many years and the $10 or $120 a year a still better compared to other wireless providers.
    • By newyorker
      On my Netgear Zing when I scan for available netwotks manually "CLEAR 4G" comes up as an optipn to select. Is Clear going to offer it's customers the option of seitching to LTE?

• By bandwithhog
      I found this while looking at FreedomPop's site and followed some of the links. It seems like that FP is part of connect2compete.org and they offer services for schools and other non-profits via mobilecitizen.org.

Now I found this on their website:

Mobile Citizen's wireless broadband is powered by WiMAX, a 4G technology from CLEAR. In 2006, CLEAR entered into a 30-year excess capacity agreement with the five EBS licensees which established Mobile Citizen. This agreement allows Mobile Citizen to offer advanced mobile broadband service exclusively to schools and nonprofits, helping to further learning and productivity by providing internet access beyond the classroom or office. Mobile Citizen has been providing its low-cost mobile Internet services since 2009.

----

Now their prices are really great and $120 for unlimited Internet is not bad. But will they transistion to LTE eventually or will Sprint / Clearwire keep some WiMax runnung which covers their EBS licensees?

• By xrayman
      Yesterday I noticed workers up on a tower out in the south part of the KC area. 
      I took some photos that show what must be an upgrade to TD-LTE at the Clear site.
      Bill