Sprint to take control of Clearwire

Boosted20V

I'm sure Sprint would love more spectrum in the SMR band but that isn't gonna happen (I always thought they should offer cut-rate service to all existing public safety users in exchange for getting another chunk of SMR... Basically take over the building of a nationwide public safety network, but that depends on the cost).

I wish Sprint could get more spectrum in the SMR band. I would love at some point for Sprint to basically get the entire SMR band would be nice from 806-824 MHz. However I think it is only a pipe dream until all public safety can all be converted to LTE and migrated to the 700 MHz public safety band. If that ever does happen, I think it would be wise for Sprint to go after the 806-816 MHz, 851-861 MHz spectrum to bolster their SMR band spectrum holdings.

SoftBank does not rule out the possibility of goings after MetroPcs.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/softbank-doesnt-rule-out-possibility-metropcs-deal/2012-10-19

Also something very interesting from the same article:

"As we noted before, Sprint would be wise to take control of Clearwire sooner rather than later to accelerate deployment and prevent any interlopers rather than just building up extra insurance," wrote BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk. "Their purchase of Eagle River helps in a competitive bid for Clearwire, but a deal like that would have been difficult anyway given Sprint's existing board seats and the size of Clearwire. The reality is that if Verizon bid $6 for Clearwire and Clearwire's board of directors did not act in their fiduciary duty to accept the offer, it would end up in the courts. More importantly, according to Sprint CFO Joe Euteneuer, there does not appear to be a way for Sprint to block a spectrum sale by Clearwire to Dish or AT&T despite the incremental purchase of Eagle River."

I live in a one cell tower town ( Sprint only has one). But we have a raceway here and I hope they will put up clear LTE so I can have ok speeds at my house.

Back in the day, the expression spoke of a one-horse town.. my how times change

SoftBank does not rule out the possibility of goings after MetroPcs.

http://www.fiercewir...deal/2012-10-19

Also something very interesting from the same article:

"As we noted before, Sprint would be wise to take control of Clearwire sooner rather than later to accelerate deployment and prevent any interlopers rather than just building up extra insurance," wrote BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk. "Their purchase of Eagle River helps in a competitive bid for Clearwire, but a deal like that would have been difficult anyway given Sprint's existing board seats and the size of Clearwire. The reality is that if Verizon bid $6 for Clearwire and Clearwire's board of directors did not act in their fiduciary duty to accept the offer, it would end up in the courts. More importantly, according to Sprint CFO Joe Euteneuer, there does not appear to be a way for Sprint to block a spectrum sale by Clearwire to Dish or AT&T despite the incremental purchase of Eagle River."

If Verizon or ATT tried to buy Clearwire, I believe it would be free breakup fee money. I really do not think either would get FCC clearance to buy clearwire. Tmobile could, but I doubt DT wants to fork over that kind of money.

• Like 1

If Verizon or ATT tried to buy Clearwire, I believe it would be free breakup fee money. I really do not think either would get FCC clearance to buy clearwire. Tmobile could, but I doubt DT wants to fork over that kind of money.

Pretty sure that Sprint has the right of first refusal on the spectrum that Sprint brought into the venture. It might cost them some money, but they would get the money back from the sale of Clearwire.

• Like 1

And now Sprint wants to claim they don't have control of clearwire.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-despite-majority-stake-we-dont-control-clearwire/2012-10-22?utm_campaign=LinkedInEditor-FierceWireless

We're back to this game again. Sprint wants control of the Company, but doesn't want Clearwire's finances to hit its balance sheet.

• Like 1