Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Sorry I meant marker color for 4G/800 but no 3G.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4

So far, we have never received an 800 acceptance for a site that didn't have 3G accepted.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I live in the Northern/ Northwestern Suburb of Oakland (Detroit).   Will this area be getting 800mhz deployment or will it not due to Canada being so close to us?   

I thought I heard that Sprint will not use 800 everywhere but I'm hopeful I will get some in my area, because the 1900 mhz doesn't go far enough for me.   

Nope. The panels that are being installed in our area are not capable of broadcasting 800 MHz. So unless sprint deploys all new panels at every site when Canada gives the ibez(800 MHz exclusion zone) the all clear, we may not ever see 800 MHz here in this part of michigan.

Nope. The panels that are being installed in our area are not capable of broadcasting 800 MHz. So unless sprint deploys all new panels at every site when Canada gives the ibez(800 MHz exclusion zone) the all clear, we may not ever see 800 MHz here in this part of michigan.

Really? I had thought they installed the same panels but in some cases not the RRUs. It seems short sighted of them not to install 800mhz panels along the IBEZ.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Really? I had thought they installed the same panels but in some cases not the RRUs. It seems short sighted of them not to install 800mhz panels along the IBEZ.

Yes and no. I agree with your sentiment. But if Sprint can save a few hundred million dollars for shareholders in the short term, then expect that.

AJ

^ I thought the panels supported 800, but there just won't be any 800MHz RRUs installed.

Depends.  In Ericsson markets I've seen pictures of them installing the standard RFS antenna with the 1900/800/1900 bands.  The 800 side was not connected to anything.  Then we've also seen pictures of installs of antennas with no 800mhz band as well.

Inthink Alcatel-Lucent is blazing through their upgrades. I just wish that they would do 800Mhz in their markets. NYC is only now starting to see 800Mhz. And moat of it is being picked through the testing PRL.

I'm up in the Boston market (also Alcatel-Lucent), and have been impressed with the quick spread of 800MHz availability around here.  None of it is appearing as accepted on the maps here, but it is getting to the point where not being on 800 is a rarity for me.  It's spreading far beyond the city also.. I was in New Hampshire over the weekend and was on 800 for about half the time I was connected to Sprint.

I also haven't heard many gripes about Alcatel-Lucent sites acting wacky like some of the Ericsson ones.  When they flip the switch around here, sites seem to be fully tested and behaving properly.

-Mike

• Like 2

I also haven't heard many gripes about Alcatel-Lucent sites acting wacky like some of the Ericsson ones.  When they flip the switch around here, sites seem to be fully tested and behaving properly.

Ericsson seems to be firing up 800SMR fairly quickly as well.  They had their little outage for 6 days on 800SMR but after that everything has been fine.  They have 4 sites in the Baton Rouge area now, I found 3 to my east in Hammond, and yesterday I found 4 additional sites in the Lafayette area to my west.  It isn't surprising though since it's fairly easy to fire them up since all the equipment is installed already.  I was shocked to find 4 though as the area only has one active LTE site in Lafayette.  The sites I've seen Ericsson fire up 800SMR on are 3G/4G accepted sites.

Now I just want more and more so I can turn off my Airave ;)

• Like 3

^ I thought the panels supported 800, but there just won't be any 800MHz RRUs installed.

Depends on the market and the vendor doing the install.

In the East Michigan market, and in some places in northern Washington state, Samsung has installed PCS only antennas.

In the south Texas market, Ericsson appears to be installing the normal antennas, with no SMR RRU.

AL also seems to be installing the normal antennas with no SMR RRU in southern Arizona and California.

I guess I don't understand?   If Nextel was able to broadcast on that frequency, then why is Sprint not able or willing to?  Canada and or Michigan haven't moved last I looked.   This absolutely is typical Sprint.  Build up hopes only to fudge it up and crush, stamp it like a stale cigarette butt.  

I'm about 1 1/4 miles from one Sprint antenna and about 1 1/2 from the other.   Nextel had one about 1/2 mile away from me.   The Nextel one was decommissioned. (Lucky me!)   and the others have not had 4G installed, but for what ever reason, in the last 2 months, the signal strength has gotten weaker by just enough that I have to be careful where I'm at in my house now to make calls.     Please, someone tell me there is something to look forward to in the near future??!!

I guess I don't understand?   If Nextel was able to broadcast on that frequency, then why is Sprint not able or willing to?  Canada and or Michigan haven't moved last I looked.

Your comparison is off.  iDEN to CDMA2000 to LTE is an apples to oranges to bananas situation.

Because iDEN channels are only 25 kHz in bandwidth, channel usage can be coordinated between the two countries.  CDMA2000 carriers are 1.25 MHz in bandwidth, and LTE carriers vary from 1.4 MHz to 20 MHz in bandwidth.  Those cannot be coordinated effectively between countries as long as one country is still running iDEN.

This absolutely is typical Sprint.  Build up hopes only to fudge it up and crush, stamp it like a stale cigarette butt.

Your assertion above is not constructive -- it just perpetuates tired old pre Network Vision stereotypes.  S4GRU is not a Sprint complaint site. So, we ask that you refrain from making similar statements in the future.

AJ

• Like 7

Disregard last post I'm an idiot. If Louisiana is getting it than there shouldn't be any reason Memphis should not get it. Anyone have a reason for why memphis isn't getting any 800SMR switch flipping yet?

Your comparison is off.  iDEN to CDMA2000 to LTE is an apples to oranges to bananas situation.

Because iDEN channels are only 25 kHz in bandwidth, channel usage can be coordinated between the two countries.  CDMA2000 carriers are 1.25 MHz in bandwidth, and LTE carriers vary from 1.4 MHz to 20 MHz in bandwidth.  Those cannot be coordinated effectively between countries as long as one country is still running iDEN.

AJ

Thank AJ for explaining this.   I appreciate your honesty.   I'm glad Sprint is making what will be huge improvements for us all.  Hopefully I will experience better (if even slightly) coverage in my house soon.  Comm'on 4G!

Disregard last post I'm an idiot. If Louisiana is getting it than there shouldn't be any reason Memphis should not get it. Anyone have a reason for why memphis isn't getting any 800SMR switch flipping yet?

It could be right under your nose and you might not know it.   Are you running stock PRLs?  If so you'll need to do PRL updates to force a GEO rescan to pick up 800SMR.

Is there any ETA with the note 2's prl?! It's been stuck on prl 2000 for months now (I know the reasoning) but I thought the issue would have been fixed by now

Sprint has been quiet about it. I say why wait as long as you aren't in the affected Shentel area, load up one yourself. I use 800smr everyday on my Note2.

Sprint has been quiet about it. I say why wait as long as you aren't in the affected Shentel area, load up one yourself. I use 800smr everyday on my Note2.

I'm in the affected Shentel area and personally I don't have the note 2 I just have many customers that has the phone and its driving them crazy