Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

smr probably wasn't on the closest tower to the mall but was coming from a distant tower

Perhaps it was live on one of the nearby sites that had LTE live too. the site right next to that mall hasn't been upgraded to LTE yet for whatever reason, though sites close by are.

Perhaps it was live on one of the nearby sites that had LTE live too. the site right next to that mall hasn't been upgraded to LTE yet for whatever reason, though sites close by are.

thats most likely the case because I've noticed in my area almost all nv towers are broadcasting smr even though not reported here

It will connect to 1900 first and once signal strength drops below a certain level, it will start looking for 800 and connect if it is available.

Ahh so its the opposite of what I thought. What about my other question about capacity? If everyone is defaulting to LTE 1900 and it starts to get congested, would any new connections connect automatically to LTE 800 instead?

Ahh so its the opposite of what I thought. What about my other question about capacity? If everyone is defaulting to LTE 1900 and it starts to get congested, would any new connections connect automatically to LTE 800 instead?

I'd say congestion will be a non issue for quite a while. Sprint is deploying 1900 LTE on every tower which means there are more towers for everyone to connect to. It's going to be very hard to bring these new towers down to where LTE 800 will need to be actively used. In fact, if it even gets to that point then I would imagine that Sprint will tell CW to blanket the area with the 2.5ghz LTE goodies which are capable of handling huge loads.

TLDR: Sprint would probably get CW to put 2.5ghz LTE in that area before 1900 LTE gets to the point of bogging down

• Like 4

I'd say congestion will be a non issue for quite a while. Sprint is deploying 1900 LTE on every tower which means there are more towers for everyone to connect to. It's going to be very hard to bring these new towers down to where LTE 800 will need to be actively used. In fact, if it even gets to that point then I would imagine that Sprint will tell CW to blanket the area with the 2.5ghz LTE goodies which are capable of handling huge loads.

TLDR: Sprint would probably get CW to put 2.5ghz LTE in that area before 1900 LTE gets to the point of bogging down

This early in the game, if they have the spectrum, they will deploy another carrier on 1900 A-F first because LTE 800 and 2500 will only work on 2013 devices and the other technologies still aren't ready for deployment.

That's how it should work. In fact, the ideal will be, depending on what Sprint does with Clearwire, if you're in a Clearwire area with LTE, you will be on the LTE 2600, then if you go out of range or there is congestion (unlikely) you will switch to LTE 1900, then as a last option you'll go to LTE 800. Since the LTE 800 signal has better penetration and farther reach, they want to keep congestion on that as low as possible, as it will be serving more people than either the 1900 or 2600 would.

Ahh so its the opposite of what I thought. What about my other question about capacity? If everyone is defaulting to LTE 1900 and it starts to get congested' date=' would any new connections connect automatically to LTE 800 instead?[/quote']

If the 1900 LTE carrier is overloaded it would shunt new connections over to 800 because the asu would drop and the phone would see the 1900 carrier as a poor connection.

SMR was not removed from the latest update.

Depends on the update. It was never in the 55xxx prl for iphone, note 2, etc. It was removed from the 56009 one though.

It is only left in 24009 and 25009. And actually the SMR SID is a higher priority than PCS.

Do you know what SID you were connected to?

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

• Like 1

Depends on the update. It was never in the 55xxx prl for iphone, note 2, etc. It was removed from the 56009 one though.

It is only left in 24009 and 25009. And actually the SMR SID is a higher priority than PCS.

Do you know what SID you were connected to?

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

I didn't catch the SID. Currently at home though my SID is 4384. Not sure why if SMR is a higher priority that I'm not connecting, even though it's been proven a few times that SMR 800 is indeed live... even in places that show SMR as being live on the site map here my phones not connecting. (still on PRL 25009)

Don't forget no device available has LTE 800. They will ship starting sometime next year. The 800 in todays phones is CDMA. Sprint is starting with a single 5x5 LTE for the roll out but can easily go back and add additional capacity without climbing the tower again with other 1900 Mhz carriers/bands. I think here in St Louis they had enough room for 3 total before the USC buyout and one more from that. They will do 800 LTE most places too but everyone will need a new device to use it. All the current LTE phones will work on all of PCS 1900.

EDIT: I remembered wrong. St Louis had room (licenses) for 3 ADDITIONAL 5x5s in St Louis plus one when the USC buy out happens. More of a big deal for Chicago the only had room for 2 more 5x5 before the USC deal but for 4 after the deal is complete just like here in St Louis. Add in one on 800 Mhz LTE and thats 5 more 5x5's after the initial roll out. We will need it too, they expect data use to continue to explode. Then there's the 2600Mhz stuff that will be used for really congested hot zones. Lots of room there but again you will need a phone that's not out till next year. The LTE fun for the phone you have is all PCS 1900.

ref WiWavelength's wall post

http://s4gru.com/ind...road-shoulders/

Edited by DaQue

Galaxy S3.

The reason I ask is I was curious to see what would happen if the PCS scan was removed for the regular Chicago SID. I'm wondering if the tower is handing you off to PCS after connecting to SMR, totally bypassing what's in the PRL, just like how the tower takes over on channels used for EVDO once you connect.

• Like 1

Forgive me if I am repeating something that has already been answered, I thought they were deploying LTE-Advanced on the 800MHz spectrum they had? That's what I remember reading a year ago when they first talked about Network Vision after that disastrous October 2011 investors meeting. Did that change, since everyone here seems to talk about LTE 800, or is it understood by default that LTE 800 is LTE-A 800?

Forgive me if I am repeating something that has already been answered, I thought they were deploying LTE-Advanced on the 800MHz spectrum they had? That's what I remember reading a year ago when they first talked about Network Vision after that disastrous October 2011 investors meeting. Did that change, since everyone here seems to talk about LTE 800, or is it understood by default that LTE 800 is LTE-A 800?

They are still rolling out 1xA on 800MHz. They are also rolling out LTE (not LTE Advanced, at least not initially) on the 800MHz spectrum. Whether or not they roll out LTE or LTE-Advanced doesn't matter so much, because Sprint is eventually upgrading all LTE to LTE-Advanced at the same time over all frequencies. Plus, the upgrade is a simple software upgrade, so it's not really a big deal.

• Like 1

LTE Rel. 10 (advanced) will be a software update which should apply to all carriers (I would think) 1900/800/2500. It adds support for larger (8x8 max) MIMO, carrier aggregation and better small cell and interference management.

In Sprint's case, from what I gleaned that Iyad said

1. 4x4 MIMO - (not 8x8 but a definite improvement from 2x2), this will be the main driver to increase spectral efficiency

- In other words, more speed per hz. LTE in 5x5 at 4x4 mimo will perform like LTE 10x10 in 2x2 MIMO (current implementation for vzw). You won't see any advantage from this until phones support it which may be a while as 4x4 will require more antennas.

2. Interference Management - Sprint cell sites can dynamically increase and decrease power to cover different loads as needed

- Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it. I've never seen much information on this and I'm not sure how well it really works.

3. Better Heterogenous Network Support - This is better support for hand off's between picocells, femtocells and the macronetwork. It allows them to work together.

- Small cells should have a large impact on the network capacity landscape, anything that helps speed up adoption and help the technology work together should be a good thing, hopefully this does.

4. Carrier Aggregation - This binds carriers together increasing the overall speed the end user sees.

- Iyad has hinted that Sprint is experimenting with it but don't count on seeing it for a while. Once again, it will require a compatible phone to take advantage.

• Like 1

LTE Rel. 10 (advanced) will be a software update which should apply to all carriers (I would think)

You are correct about Sprint and T-Mobile. I think AT&T might be in the same boat with LTE rel 10 equipment being deployed. Verizon, however, is not deploying equipment compatible with rel 10 and will need to deploy new equipment to use it.

I could be mistaken, but I thought both Verizon and at&t were deploying LTE using release 8 equipment which will require more than a software update to get to LTE-A.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I could be mistaken, but I thought both Verizon and at&t were deploying LTE using release 8 equipment which will require more than a software update to get to LTE-A.

Could be, I'm not sure on AT&T. Positive on VZW though...

I remember reading that when AT&T first started their rollout.

When I said carriers, I meant spectrum carriers like a 1x carrier or a 5x5 LTE carrier.

I know Verizon's LTE upgrade is just an overlay, For them to upgrade to LTE Advance is (potentially) having to get new antennas that support 4x4 MIMO, and install all new cabinets at the base of the site (a la network vision).

I have no idea what AT&T is doing.

I have no idea what AT&T is doing.

I sometimes think that Randall Stephenson doesn't know what he is doing either. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 4

Will the iPhone 5 be compatible with LTE 800 MHz when it is deployed?

No and no.

Hi,

Could you explain this a little better for me? According to this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ the iPhone 5 does support LTE band 5 (850 MHz).

thanks

edit: I think I may have answered my own question. It looks as though Sprint's 800 MHz spectrum falls in LTE band 18. Is this correct?

• Like 1