Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I live in the Nashville market and we have many, I mean many 8T8R site's. I'm rarely not on band 41 outside.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I had band 41 most of the time too. My problem was that in the part of town i was in, it was all clearwire 41. Do u know whos band 41 u were connected too

I had band 41 most of the time too. My problem was that in the part of town i was in, it was all clearwire 41. Do u know whos band 41 u were connected too

Ideally this would be discussed in the Nashville thread...

Sent from my LG G4

Detroit's in the primary IBEZ (100km or less from Canadian border), and so far nobody has found 800 in this zone, only the secondary boundary is known to have it so far. It's still better than the whole IBEZ+20km that Sprint had imposed for the longest time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I have a question that might stir up a little chatter here. 800 is known to obtain usially better distances than the 1+GHz. I'm curious about approximate maximum distances and locations of connections that others have attained made either with LTE or 1x800.

My personal best happened a couple days ago in the morning via 1x800. I connected to an 800 site just north of Pittsburgh, PA metro from approximately 30 miles east of Cleveland, OH. I crunched some numbers with the coordinates I had of the site (likely an offset, but probably not an enormous difference) and of my device and it came out to a little over 70 miles away. I was cheating a little. I learned years ago that morning propogation enhancement on VHF/UHF frequencies via tropospheric ducting often occurrs in my area. And it is often times even more enhanced in the spring and fall months. :)

So I have a question that might stir up a little chatter here. 800 is known to obtain usially better distances than the 1+GHz. I'm curious about approximate maximum distances and locations of connections that others have attained made either with LTE or 1x800.

My personal best happened a couple days ago in the morning via 1x800. I connected to an 800 site just north of Pittsburgh, PA metro from approximately 30 miles east of Cleveland, OH. I crunched some numbers with the coordinates I had of the site (likely an offset, but probably not an enormous difference) and of my device and it came out to a little over 70 miles away. I was cheating a little. I learned years ago that morning propogation enhancement on VHF/UHF frequencies via tropospheric ducting often occurrs in my area. And it is often times even more enhanced in the spring and fall months. :)

I've actually gotten B41 (from a Clear site no less!) over a further distance than 1x800. I've connected to a site about 10 miles away on 1x800 (physically in Ohio, but the site was in Pennsylvania). On B41 I've connected to and used a site 13.2 miles away. 

• Like 1

I've actually gotten B41 (from a Clear site no less!) over a further distance than 1x800. I've connected to a site about 10 miles away on 1x800 (physically in Ohio, but the site was in Pennsylvania). On B41 I've connected to and used a site 13.2 miles away.

How even!!!??? B41 doesn't even go a mile here in Seattle!

The site is on top of a large hill, and most of the distance was across open water (SF Bay). There are a couple buildings between the bay and where I was at, but it's close to line of sight. I quit connecting to it once local B41 sites started coming online, but it still shows in my neighboring sites in SCP with a signal of around -115.

Sent from my Nexus 6

It just sucks that San Bernardino County can apparently prevent San Diego from getting B26 even though the IBEZ issues with the Mexican government have been presumably? resolved and the former is fairly far of a drive from the latter. On a recent trip to the Bay Area I almost never dropped down to 3G or 1X (the latter happening in one possibly shielded room in an office building), whereas drops to 3G happen extremely often here in SD.  :( Hopefully the densification effort will help.

Yeah, it doesn't travel that far here either.

Different sites, different equipment, different setups, different geography, atmospheric effects, etc... 

You can't generalize like that. I am sure there are sites that have wider footprints than that.

Cells are much, much smaller and tighter in dense urban environments.  If a Band 41-equipped tower attempted to cover a cell with a radius of 13 miles, centered on downtown Seattle, it would have a potential poulation to cover of several million people.  That is clearly absurd and, not to mention, absolutely impossible.  So the cells are tuned to cover manageable potential populations, translating into a very small geographic footprint in a highly populated area.

• Like 4

It just sucks that San Bernardino County can apparently prevent San Diego from getting B26 even though the IBEZ issues with the Mexican government have been presumably? resolved and the former is fairly far of a drive from the latter. On a recent trip to the Bay Area I almost never dropped down to 3G or 1X (the latter happening in one possibly shielded room in an office building), whereas drops to 3G happen extremely often here in SD. :( Hopefully the densification effort will help.

It does suck majorly that SB county has been dragging ass on their reband effort because sprint has been hampered from deploying 800 cdma and LTE all of So Cal and Vegas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have seen the long range B41 sites too when you drive along I-15 before and after you pass the tower in Primm, NV. My guess you hold on to the signal for about 8-10 miles in each direction. There is nothing blocking the signal.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have experienced B26 for the first time in my life as of like 2 days ago because I am staying at my aunts house in Houston for a thanksgiving family reunion :). What I've noticed is that B26 dies when EVDO is still at -98 or so dBm (my aunts house I either get -114 to -118 B26 or EVDO). Is this B26's full potential ot is it just not optimized? I've seen videos of B26 eclipsing the range of EVDO by a lot (

) but my experience just hasn't patched up...Shats going on here?

So I have experienced B26 for the first time in my life as of like 2 days ago because I am staying at my aunts house in Houston for a thanksgiving family reunion :). What I've noticed is that B26 dies when EVDO is still at -98 or so dBm (my aunts house I either get -114 to -118 B26 or EVDO). Is this B26's full potential ot is it just not optimized? I've seen videos of B26 eclipsing the range of EVDO by a lot (

) but my experience just hasn't patched up...Shats going on here?
In my experience that's about where it drops off and goes to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 6P