Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

The sponsor area maps in the NV Sites Complete topic are color coded. Blue and Green tags, like it says at the bottom of the maps, have 800 Mhz accepted by Sprint but a few may not yet be accepting connections at 800 Mhz. The latest data right now has been delayed a bit due to the holiday, juniper smoke, etc so the next update may be a big one. Right now most 800Mhz sites are near Waco Tx (where they did the FIT test) and Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that areas like Chicago and Waco are seeing 800mhz rolled out with LTE but other areas are and will be waiting for 800mhz after they receive LTE. What's the criteria for selecting which cities get 800mhz sooner, or is this process controlled strictly by the contractor in the area?

I know that areas like Chicago and Waco are seeing 800mhz rolled out with LTE but other areas are and will be waiting for 800mhz after they receive LTE. What's the criteria for selecting which cities get 800mhz sooner, or is this process controlled strictly by the contractor in the area?

I'm curious about this as well. Obviously NV must be deployed to have antennas capable of broadcasting 800mhz but why are only Chicago and Waco seeing 800mhz 1x and no other areas? As far as I know, the winding down of Nextel should have freed up enough spectrum across the country for 1x?

It was a priority in Chicago because of two factors that aren't affecting any other big markets. Chicago is spectrum-constrained for Sprint, and because of incompatibility between NV and legacy base station equipment, call-dropping became a huge problem shortly after roll out began. Deploying 800 MHz helps both of these problems. The spectrum problem is improved because it adds another 1x carrier on a previously unavailable slice of spectrum. Dropped calls are reduced because 800 MHz has more coverage than 1900 MHz, so handsets can hold a call for a longer duration without needing to switch towers.

If you are able to load a prl on your phone, try loading the custom one in the download section. 800 is all over dc but inaccessible unless you have a prl designed to access it. In Waco and Chicago the prl is set up for them to connect but not anywhere else. In my area which is DC almost every nv tower is broadcasting 800 MHz but isn't shown as complete on the maps.

It was a priority in Chicago because of two factors that aren't affecting any other big markets. Chicago is spectrum-constrained for Sprint, and because of incompatibility between NV and legacy base station equipment, call-dropping became a huge problem shortly after roll out began. Deploying 800 MHz helps both of these problems. The spectrum problem is improved because it adds another 1x carrier on a previously unavailable slice of spectrum. Dropped calls are reduced because 800 MHz has more coverage than 1900 MHz, so handsets can hold a call for a longer duration without needing to switch towers.

I understand Chicago is spectrum constrained and it helps in that regard. Moreover, the question is, seeing as 800mhz will provide a significant decrease in roaming costs within Sprint's footprint, why it isn't being utilized in other areas which are deployed? Also, I know Waco was a FIT, but it still stands to reason that this area isn't spectrum constrained and 800mhz is live.

I understand Chicago is spectrum constrained and it helps in that regard. Moreover' date=' the question is, seeing as 800mhz will provide a significant decrease in roaming costs within Sprint's footprint, why it isn't being utilized in other areas which are deployed? Also, I know Waco was a FIT, but it still stands to reason that this area isn't spectrum constrained and 800mhz is live.[/quote']

What? You answered your own question. The FIT, or field implementation test was built to test how the 1900mhz CDMA, EVDO and LTE as well as 800mhz CDMA would work in the field and not in the lab. It was a test market. Should they turn off the 800mhz portion because they are not spectrum constrained?

What? You answered your own question. The FIT, or field implementation test was built to test how the 1900mhz CDMA, EVDO and LTE as well as 800mhz CDMA would work in the field and not in the lab. It was a test market. Should they turn off the 800mhz portion because they are not spectrum constrained?

I understand the FIT, I get Chicago is spectrum constrained. Why, if 800mhz is being broadcast in other markets will Sprint not deploy a PRL to allow connectivity which would help lower roaming cost? At first thought, I mentioned that perhaps enough 800mhz spectrum wasn't cleared in some markets but the comment was made that 800mhz is in fact being broadcast, only not able to be connected to via the PRL's available. Does anyone know why?

They will add more CDMA 800 soon. They expedited the iDEN channel clearing in some places because of FIT's and call drop problems (ala Chicago). DC and Baltimore have CDMA 800 being deployed now in many places. And this is probably because iDEN is already cleared off Channel 476 in that area. Sprint may have more areas add CDMA 800 now if they get into a pinch. Otherwise, they will probably just wait until July 1st to start turning them on a larger scale.

Robert

They will add more CDMA 800 soon. They expedited the iDEN channel clearing in some places because of FIT's and call drop problems (ala Chicago). DC and Baltimore have CDMA 800 being deployed now in many places. And this is probably because iDEN is already cleared off Channel 476 in that area. Sprint may have more areas add CDMA 800 now if they get into a pinch. Otherwise, they will probably just wait until July 1st to start turning them on a larger scale.

Robert

That's good to hear. Does it specify in sponsor maps whether a site is broadcasting 800?

Sent from a mobile toaster

That's good to hear. Does it specify in sponsor maps whether a site is broadcasting 800?

Sent from a mobile toaster

Broadcasting? No. But it shows whether a site has had CDMA 800 upgrades that have been inspected and accepted.

Robert

• Like 1

I sometimes think that Randall Stephenson doesn't know what he is doing either. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

The only thing that occupies the space between his ears is his insatiable molar grinding desire to make money at any cost.

• Like 1

Have 3-4 bars at the gym now instead of 1-2.

And the bar weighs 45 lbs, so you are getting a better workout...

;)

AJ

• Like 5

I think having the ability to connect to 800 1x voice carriers will help immensely, and potentially allow Sprint to re-purpose space for EVDO carriers, which are, in my opinion, in more demand.

• Like 1

Robert

Robert, Do you know or any of your insiders know if Sprint has any spectrum they can use for 1900/800MHz in say MT, ND/SD, WY, NE in those area so Sprint can reduce their cost of roaming in those areas. I thought the iDEN spectrum had a nationwide coverage that would include those states or so. If that that is the case and if the 1900MHz PCS spectrum that Sprint has, why or what is the reason behind not filling in those areas so Sprint can again reduce the roaming cost there?

Thanks

Robert, Do you know or any of your insiders know if Sprint has any spectrum they can use for 1900/800MHz in say MT, ND/SD, WY, NE in those area so Sprint can reduce their cost of roaming in those areas. I thought the iDEN spectrum had a nationwide coverage that would include those states or so. If that that is the case and if the 1900MHz PCS spectrum that Sprint has, why or what is the reason behind not filling in those areas so Sprint can again reduce the roaming cost there?

Cost/benefit analysis. The cost to deploy in those low population density areas would be immediate. The benefit might not pay off for a decade or longer.

If you dream of Sprint building out a nationwide geographic footprint, dream on. No carrier in the US has ever even remotely accomplished that standard. VZW and AT&T seemingly come close but only because they have bought out numerous other carriers.

AJ

Cost/benefit analysis. The cost to deploy in those low population density areas would be immediate. The benefit might not pay off for a decade or longer.

If you dream of Sprint building out a nationwide geographic footprint, dream on. No carrier in the US has ever even remotely accomplished that standard. VZW and AT&T seemingly come close but only because they have bought out numerous other carriers.

AJ

Thanks AJ for your info or insight on that and gives me a wide eye open on why that is. Who is the main providers for wireless in those areas there?

Thanks AJ for your info or insight on that and gives me a wide eye open on why that is. Who is the main providers for wireless in those areas there?

In those areas, VZW and AT&T are now the main providers, as they have acquired AirTouch, WWC, and Alltel.

AJ