Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

to followup with yesterdays post about me spotting 800 1x on actual maine sites...i found another site as well outside of Sanford.  this specific one was brought online within the last day or so because it wasnt seen on Tuesday night.  I will be away next week and with the way they are working I expect to get back into the area and see some significant upgrades.

Can any phone do a handoff between 800 and 1900 w/o dropping a call?

I think that might be more of an artifact of some sites being legacy 1900 and the 800 sites all being network vision. The problem isn't with the frequencies themselves, but with the coordination between the basestations.

Can any phone do a handoff between 800 and 1900 w/o dropping a call?

Absolutely. It's not phone dependent anyway, from what I understand, it's the network. Switching between frequencies shouldn't cause a dropped call. Switching between roaming and non-roaming will.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Absolutely. It's not phone dependent anyway, from what I understand, it's the network. Switching between frequencies shouldn't cause a dropped call. Switching between roaming and non-roaming will.

Thanks for the info.  I was under the impression that it might take a while for the phone's antenna to retune from 1900 to 800 and connect to the tower quickly enough without dropping the call.  

I noticed there hasn't been much info on how the roll out of refarmed 800 mhz is going... are they having problems? Is it a bigger undertaking than they expected?

In the individual market threads a lot of people have talked about connecting to 1x800.  In addition the accepted map is showing more and more 1x800 sites accepted by Sprint. 

If I remember correctly Robert isn't getting the same constant source of 800 activations like he is for 3G and 4G acceptances. So it's entirely possible that there are more 800 acceptances than we realize.

I thought we the people could help him with pictures and proof of a tower with 800 and 4G and ect. But I guess that's not enough lol

I thought we the people could help him with pictures and proof of a tower with 800 and 4G and ect. But I guess that's not enough lol

We could but if the rest of the community is anything like me, they care more about the deployment of 800/1900/2600 LTE more :-)

• Like 1

I'm with Robert on this. It is much better to know the data you're sharing is completely accurate; relying on user reports to confirm 800 acceptance isn't the best idea. It would be very easy for someone with good intentions and a reasonable amount of technical knowledge to think they are connected to a certain site on 800 and be mistaken. Pictures don't mean much; even if there is something 800-specific that could be spotted, nobody is debating that the equipment is there.. it was installed at the same time all the other stuff was. And of course, just because a site is broadcasting something at that moment doesn't mean it bas been accepted. Lots of variables!

-Mike

• Like 6

I'm with Robert on this. It is much better to know the data you're sharing is completely accurate; relying on user reports to confirm 800 acceptance isn't the best idea. It would be very easy for someone with good intentions and a reasonable amount of technical knowledge to think they are connected to a certain site on 800 and be mistaken. Pictures don't mean much; even if there is something 800-specific that could be spotted, nobody is debating that the equipment is there.. it was installed at the same time all the other stuff was. And of course, just because a site is broadcasting something at that moment doesn't mean it bas been accepted. Lots of variables!

-Mike

But see, if someone posts pics of a tower with the ID and it broadcasting 800SMR and a month later. Posts an update and it's still live. I think that is credible enough. But I understand  the whole process.

• Like 1

But see, if someone posts pics of a tower with the ID and it broadcasting 800SMR and a month later. Posts an update and it's still live. I think that is credible enough. But I understand  the whole process.

I have the authority to make CDMA1X 800 acceptance reports and have made plenty in my home state.  So, if you want more CDMA1X 800 acceptance reports, all you need to do is pay me to come to your town because I have the spectrum analyzer, engineering screen know how, and S4GRU street cred.

AJ

• Like 9

But see, if someone posts pics of a tower with the ID and it broadcasting 800SMR and a month later. Posts an update and it's still live. I think that is credible enough. But I understand the whole process.

I hear you, but I think it's very difficult to confirm you are actually connected to the CDMA 800 site you think you are. In my corner of suburbia, I can get strong signals from multiple sites in many areas, especially on 800. I've been parked near a tower that I was convinced I was connected to.. crazy-strong signal, seemed to weaken as I moved away from it.. nope. Figured out it was a totally different site. I'm sure that isn't an issue in less dense areas, but I think overall it's enough of a concern.

-Mike

Particularly if the SID is no longer 22429. Once the site has been broadcasting a market-specific SID for a few weeks, I think it's safe to say it's been accepted.

I hear you, but I think it's very difficult to confirm you are actually connected to the CDMA 800 site you think you are.

You don't trust your app (or rather, the phone) to report accurate 1x site coordinates? It was my understanding that the coordinates reported by NV site sectors are much more precise than legacy sites, whose coordinates were often offset to some degree.

I have the authority to make CDMA1X 800 acceptance reports and have made plenty in my home state.  So, if you want more CDMA1X 800 acceptance reports, all you need to do is pay me to come to your town because I have the spectrum analyzer, engineering screen know how, and S4GRU street cred.

AJ

Oh damn baller. I like your sarcasm.

• Like 1

Oh damn baller. I like your sarcasm.

Well, I am not being entirely sarcastic.  If you want to pay to bring me to Fort Wayne, we could probably do it.  One of my tutoring students just relocated back to Oklahoma City, and I made two 700 mile roundtrips to meet with him over the past week.  So, I do not mind travel.

AJ

You don't trust your app (or rather, the phone) to report accurate 1x site coordinates? It was my understanding that the coordinates reported by NV site sectors are much more precise than legacy sites, whose coordinates were often offset to some degree.

Hah, I wish! Unfortunately, that is not true. Many areas still have the offset, including mine. Around me, many sites have been broadcasting LTE for over a year and they turned 800 on about 2 months ago.. if they were going to change the coordinates, I'm afraid they would have by now. A couple did change slightly, but they did not get any more accurate.. just moved a few small decimal digits over, still nowhere near the site. I have never discovered a site in the Boston market broadcasting its true location. :(

-Mike

I have never discovered a site in the Boston market broadcasting its true location. :(

Bummer. FWIW, the NV sites I've come across in the Chicago, Central and East Iowa markets have always been within a block of where they say they are ;)

Well, I am not being entirely sarcastic.  If you want to pay to bring me to Fort Wayne, we could probably do it.  One of my tutoring students just relocated back to Oklahoma City, and I made two 700 mile roundtrips to meet with him over the past week.  So, I do not mind travel.

AJ

Well Shoot cause I know you love to be here. 700 miles what 200$ gas ? lol

Bummer. FWIW, the NV sites I've come across in the Chicago, Central and East Iowa markets have always been within a block of where they say they are ;)

Yeah, those are some of the few markets that have actually broadcast their locations somewhat accurately. In the Nebraska market, Kansas market, Colorado market, and Missouri market, the locations that sites broadcast, even NV sites, are no where close to correct :(

Yeah, those are some of the few markets that have actually broadcast their locations somewhat accurately. In the Nebraska market, Kansas market, Colorado market, and Missouri market, the locations that sites broadcast, even NV sites, are no where close to correct :(

Have we determined if this is an OEM issue? That is to say, is one of the OEMs updating the broadcast coordinates to be correct and the other two aren't? Or two are and one isn't?

really? Like if a tower is near the interstate, Lol it puts the dot right on the interstate. But it's within 10 ft of being accurate here. It's 99% accurate.