Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Thanks for clearing it up. I hope Sprint does near 100% 800 CDMA and LTE for NYC and LA as well . I think NYC especially as a city being mostly urban with thick buildings, I think its important to be able to get a signal indoors so hopefully 100% of 800 CDMA and LTE.

In a place like NYC, that's a great example of where Sprint will skip a lot of sites. Unless they need the capacity. Does it matter if your CDMA 800 or LTE 800 signal comes from one block or three? No. The difference in signal will be negligible.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

In Manhattan there is a tower roughly ever 3 blocks. In Midtown Manhattan they have cell sites virtually ever other block. In Brooklyn ibthink every 5 blocks or so. Tower spacing is crazy in NYC.

• Like 1

For places like NYC, what is considered 'close' together cell cites? Are they closer than 1000 ft sometimes?

In Brooklyn and Queens, 1,000 feet separation is probably average. In Manhattan, it's much tighter.

• Like 3

And that site density is necessary because those New Yawkers are stacked so many on top of each other like the dead in a mausoleum.

AJ

• Like 9

In Brooklyn and Queens, 1,000 feet separation is probably average. In Manhattan, it's much tighter.

I had no idea that the sites were that close here.

Good grief, you guys are "blockheads."

lucy-blockhead.gif

AJ

• Like 9

Sprint is deploying roughly 80% 800MHz for budget reasons. They think it's a waste of money to deploy on 100% of sites with 800 as it is more than capable to serve two PCS cells in many urban places. And they will go back and fill in 800 in these 20% when and if extra capacity is needed. So the goal is 100% 800 coverage in urban areas, but not 100% sites having it.

It's not an interference issue, as they can downtilt and reduce power to mitigate interference in most instances.

In some places they are deploying near 100%. Like in Chicago. They desperately need the capacity there. And in other markets, more 800 can be added for capacity as needed.

Since our market is under construction I'll say that 9/10 towers I pass that have upgrades are equipped with 4 rru's per antenna. I can only think of about 3/30 that have 3 or less rru's per antenna.

Since our market is under construction I'll say that 9/10 towers I pass that have upgrades are equipped with 4 rru's per antenna. I can only think of about 3/30 that have 3 or less rru's per antenna.

They may not actually use all of the RRU's.

As I understand it, licensing is a much larger cost than the physical hardware so they can add several RRU's initially and only use two. They save money on the additional LTE license by not using them until they need the capacity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They not actually use all of the RRU's.

As I understand it licensing is a much larger cost than the physical hardware so they can add several RRU's initially and only use two, save money on the 800 LTE license by not using them until they need the capacity.

Yes, I just mean that they are installing all 4 up front so that when they are ready they can turn them on without re climbing the tower.

They may not actually use all of the RRU's.

As I understand it, licensing is a much larger cost than the physical hardware so they can add several RRU's initially and only use two. They save money on the additional LTE license by not using them until they need the capacity.

The additional RRU is actually for the cdma side of things right now. If the site needs more than 4 carriers for evdo/1x then a second rru is installed with an RF combiner to connect the 2 RRUs to the one side of the antenna.

Sent from my little Note2

The additional RRU is actually for the cdma side of things right now. If the site needs more than 4 carriers for evdo/1x then a second rru is installed with an RF combiner to connect the 2 RRUs to the one side of the antenna.

Sent from my little Note2

It was explained to me that on a full build site each antenna holds RRU's 1900 1x & Lte,800 1x & Lte. Most upgraded towers I have seen have all 4 on each antenna panel. I have seen a few with 3 rru's and i swear i saw one the other day and as long as i looked up all i could see was that it has 1 rru @ several wires coming in from the southwest facing sector; I'm not sure if its a splice or what i couldn't make out all the work that had been done up there at the time.

Back to the licensing, I've yet to see any 800 MHZ 1X......and i'm counting down the days till i do. I miss the reliability of the Macro network. My airave 2.0 has been losing gps lock since i put it in this house. Worked fine in my old home last year;I guess i should just move the gps beacon outside.

It was explained to me that on a full build site each antenna holds RRU's 1900 1x & Lte,800 1x & Lte. Most upgraded towers I have seen have all 4 on each antenna panel. I have seen a few with 3 rru's and i swear i saw one the other day and as long as i looked up all i could see was that it has 1 rru @ several wires coming in from the southwest facing sector; I'm not sure if its a splice or what i couldn't make out all the work that had been done up there at the time.

Back to the licensing, I've yet to see any 800 MHZ 1X......and i'm counting down the days till i do. I miss the reliability of the Macro network. My airave 2.0 has been losing gps lock since i put it in this house. Worked fine in my old home last year;I guess i should just move the gps beacon outside.

LTE 800 can be run on the same RRU as CDMA 800. If you see a 4th RRU, it usually means the site has more than four CDMA carriers. Each RRU can handle up to 4 carriers.

In the case of the 800 RRU, it is running only one CDMA 800 carrier and eventually one LTE 800 carrier. They tend to leave LTE 1900 on its own RRU in Ericsson markets. So that is two of the four. The other two are CDMA 1900, for a combination of 1x and EVDO.

• Like 1

LTE 800 can be run on the same RRU as CDMA 800. If you see a 4th RRU, it usually means the site has more than four CDMA carriers. Each RRU can handle up to 4 carriers.

In the case of the 800 RRU, it is running only one CDMA 800 carrier and eventually one LTE 800 carrier. They tend to leave LTE 1900 on its own RRU in Ericsson markets. So that is two of the four. The other two are CDMA 1900, for a combination of 1x and EVDO.

Thank you for clearing that up Robert, i had got a rundown one afternoon while talking to a site crew member when they were assembling the antenna on the ground; albeit his english was not to good, and my 3 years of Spanish are a little rusty. Lo siento mi amigos.

• Like 2

Ah thanks man, i got the channel # and ban d# mixed lol. My channel says 725, So i was curious.

I appreciate it! :D

This is the PCS channel that several months ago I alerted folks in Fort Wayne to be on the lookout for...

The problem with that is that Sprint does not hold the PCS F block license in Fort Wayne. But I did find a new bit of info. Sprint has started leasing the lower 5 MHz of the PCS E block from AT&T. So, Fort Wayne is no longer stuck at only 10 MHz -- the worst of the top 100 markets. Sprint in Fort Wayne is now working with 15 MHz, which has allowed it to deploy one additional carrier, probably EV-DO.

To tack on a quick addendum to my post above, members in the Fort Wayne area should be on the lookout for the PCS 0725 carrier channel assignment (to go along with the existing PCS 0325, 350, 375 assignments).

AJ

• Like 2

This is the PCS channel that several months ago I alerted folks in Fort Wayne to be on the lookout for...

AJ

Well Sorry for me not reading through all the pages. But what's the difference between the channels?