LG Optimus G

khammondnm

I went into a Sprint store today to burn an upgrade on the $50 dollar SGSIII deal they have going, but when I saw the LG Optimus G in person and had the opportunity to compare it to the SGSIII side by side, I left empty handed. I have to reconsider now. I know everyone "rags" on LG because of their history but, if you look at Samsung's history, it sucked until recently, too. My brother is currently using the original Epic/Galaxy S and, what a piece of junk that is. One thing people need to realize is, things can change. If Samsung can go from pathetic radio performance and delayed upgrades to leading the pack, why cant LG? I'm a car fanatic so, I'll use that as another example; I would have never considered Hyundai 10 years ago but, now they impress, just look at the Sonata, Genesis, or Equus. So, I ask, why cant LG do the same as Hyundai and Samsung have? With the Optimus G, I think they just did.

Edit: On another note, all 4 corporate Sprint stores within reasonable driving distance of my home in Phx had sold out of the SGSIII by noon today. The one I went to said they had 14 in stock. However, they were still allowing purchase of the phone at the 50 dollar price and guaranteeing delivery within 5 days. :tu: But, after seeing the LG Optimus G, I still had to reconsider.

I went into a Sprint store today to burn an upgrade on the 50 dollar SGSIII deal they have going' date=' but when I saw the LG Optimus G in person and had the opportunity to compare it to the SGSIII side by side, I left empty handed. I have to reconsider now. I know everyone "rags" on LG because of their history but, if you look at Samsung's history, it sucked until recently, too. My brother is currently using the original Epic/Galaxy S and, what a piece of junk that is. One thing people need to realize is, things can change. If Samsung can go from pathetic radio performance and delayed upgrades to leading the pack, why cant LG? I'm a car fanatic so, I'll use that as another example; I would have never considered Hyundai 10 years ago but, now they impress, just look at the Sonata, Genesis, or Equus. So, I ask, why cant LG do the same as Hyundai and Samsung have? With the Optimus G, I think they just did.

Edit: On another note, all 4 corporate Sprint stores within reasonable driving distance of my home in Phx had sold out of the SGSIII by noon today. The one I went to said they had 14 in stock. However, they were still allowing purchase of the phone at the 50 dollar price and guaranteeing delivery within 5 days. :tu: But, after seeing the LG Optimus G, I still had to reconsider.[/quote']

When I went in tonight to get my Galaxy Nexus, the corporate store in Fresno said every Sprint store in Fresno was out of the GS III. I'm not surprised. And I agree that the LG Optimus G is the best I have seen from LG. Very sturdy phone. Just too bad there isn't LTE in my area to test it out.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner.

• Like 1

I'm at a standstill right now. I think the LG Optimus has better radios than the GS3 and faster CPU/GPU combo. I also think it's beautiful but the lack of SD card makes me hesitant. I'd have to play around with the LG more. The LG's UI is also pretty, while one can argue that the Samsung's Jellybean one is...not so much.

Hey guys i just bought the optimus G and its great coming from the evo 3d / photon 4g. ive been messing around with the bsr timer settings and i need the default values. you can find them by entering ##data# in the dialer, Under Advanced at the bottom. I need the following values. Next LTE Scan, BSR timer, BSR max time. Thanks

stealth, will you please post screen caps of any Optimus G engineering screens? Thanks...

AJ

you mean like the debug screen?

Yep. We have examples of the debug/engineering screens for all other Sprint LTE handsets. Screen caps make great references for explaining LTE signal strength to members.

AJ

So, I was cruising craigslist and saw an ad for a new LG Optimus for $125 and was going to snatch it up, no matter the esn status... until the guy emailed back and said it was the optimus s, new in the box... um, no, not interested. Although, a optimus s new in the box might have some value as an antique.

Let me know if this works.

Excellent! We appreciate it. I know that Robert and others will share my interest that the LG engineering screens almost exactly mirror the HTC engineering screens. That leads me to believe that Sprint, not the OEMs, is the driving force behind those largely consistent engineering screens.

AJ

• Like 1

The optimus g and mach use LTE signal for their bars and db levels unlike most of the other phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that the Viper does too, however, I was never able to do enough testing to confirm as such.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

The optimus g and mach use LTE signal for their bars and db levels unlike most of the other phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Really? Robert told me that it uses 1X signal to display bars just like all the other phones.

I was able to confirm this past weekend that the LG Viper does indeed show LTE signal strength in the indicator while doing testing in Wichita Falls. I was next to a Sprint site that the Viper was connected to 1x with a RSSI of -80, but connected to a weak distant 4G LTE site with a -114dBm and it showed zero bars. When it increased to -107dBm, it went up to one bar.

I assume, after all, that the LG Optimus G will also show LTE just like the Viper. The Viper must have received this capability in the ICS update. I was not able to do this exact same thing back on Labor Day when testing in Waco with the Viper. It would show the 1x signal strength.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

I was able to confirm this past weekend that the LG Viper does indeed show LTE signal strength in the indicator while doing testing in Wichita Falls. I was next to a Sprint site that the Viper was connected to 1x with a RSSI of -80, but connected to a weak distant 4G LTE site with a -114dBm and it showed zero bars. When it increased to -107dBm, it went up to one bar.

I assume, after all, that the LG Optimus G will also show LTE just like the Viper. The Viper must have received this capability in the ICS update. I was not able to do this exact same thing back on Labor Day when testing in Waco with the Viper. It would show the 1x signal strength.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Yeah the Optimus G does show lte in bars when connected to lte, same for evdo/ehrpd. 1 bar on optimus G lte starts at 97, 2nd at 95.
  • Like 1

Ive been rocking the Optimus G for about 10 hours. Im really loving it so far it feels snappier than my gnex and i really like LGs UI. Not sure how its battery life and LTE signal is. Ill have to give some feed back in a few days.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

They said its coming before years end

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

The Stock Jelly Bean update is to be out before years end. LG will then send it to sprint to put their final touches on it before it comes OTA

I just got this phone on Monday. The service in low signal areas works remarkably well, I way out in the country and my HTC Evo 3D had some issues out there, this LG is a champ and have yet to have one issue with it.

I totally Recommend this phone to anyone. it may still have ICS on it but i hope and pray that LG holds their word to have JB on it by end of year

This is great to know. I can't stand losing signal on my way to work every day (and I am in a very urban area on a major street).

For anyone looking - I've seen a few pop up on eBay new or near new for about 350 no contract. I snagged one up.

I was going to do the Nexus 4 but got burned pretty hard on the preorder, twice, so I went this route.

• Like 1