Can Softbank do to Verizon and AT&T what it did to NTT and KDDI?

kckid

"So you could argue that SoftBank’s ability to smack down bigger rivals like NTT-DoCoMo and KDDI did not hinge on the one-time surprise attack it staged in 2007. SoftBank has been able to keep its bigger rivals on the defensive through half a decade, introducing a variety of new pricing and marketing strategies."

"If SoftBank does acquire Sprint (S) and/or Clearwire (CLWR), the obvious U.S. analogs to NTT-DoCoMo would be AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ)."

http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/12/softbank-sprint-acquisition-analysis/

Keep in mind that SoftBank by itself is still the #3 Japanese mobile carrier. For the past several years, it has beaten the new sub adds of the big boys, NTT DoCoMo and KDDI, but has not surpassed them in total subs. And during much of that growth, SoftBank -- à la AT&T here in the US -- had a national exclusive on the iPhone. Coincidence or not?

AJ

• Like 1

I don't believe in coincidences! Life is simply a string of unsolved mysteries.

i think sprint is doing fine by itself. sprint needs to focus on deploying NV. better service/coverage & quality handsets will get sprint new subs. the knock on sprint has always be services / coverage. NV fixes that :)

the knock on sprint has always be services / coverage. NV fixes that :)

I think pricing is a huge plus for them too. My belief is that people stay with Sprint because the plan pricing is so good. I also believe that if they were to change that no matter how good NV makes the network subs will leave.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I think pricing is a huge plus for them too. My belief is that people stay with Sprint because the plan pricing is so good. I also believe that if they were to change that no matter how good NV makes the network subs will leave.

sprint has already changed that when they launched wimax. remember the 10 dollar premium data add-on, pre wimax that was not there. when people would complain about it i would say to them ok, go to at&t or verizon pay 30 dollars over there, and sprint got more subs during that time then ever, mostly due to the HTC evo (great phone) lasted me up till about a year ago before the processor overheated and just went on a boot loop non stop 

I think they will be a great #3 option for years to come although T-Mobile will best them in terms of LTE deployment for at least the next 6 months to a year.

Everyone knows I am no fan of T-Mobile but I can't believe Sprint is allowing them to run neck and neck and in some cases even best them in LTE deployments and performance.  Which Sprint executive was asleep behind the wheel when T-Moble was getting fiber ethernet to their cell sites? 

sprint has already changed that when they launched wimax. remember the 10 dollar premium data add-on, pre wimax that was not there. when people would complain about it i would say to them ok, go to at&t or verizon pay 30 dollars over there, and sprint got more subs during that time then ever, mostly due to the HTC evo (great phone) lasted me up till about a year ago before the processor overheated and just went on a boot loop non stop

You... do realize the post you quoted is from 10 months ago, right?

I think they will be a great #3 option for years to come although T-Mobile will best them in terms of LTE deployment for at least the next 6 months to a year.

Everyone knows I am no fan of T-Mobile but I can't believe Sprint is allowing them to run neck and neck and in some cases even best them in LTE deployments and performance.  Which Sprint executive was asleep behind the wheel when T-Moble was getting fiber ethernet to their cell sites? 

Sprint was too broke after the Nextel merger and had depended on Clearwire with the Wimax deployment.  Clearwire ran out of money and Sprint decided to go LTE which then kicked off the Network Vision project in 2010-2011? First site didn't go live until 2011-2012.

T-Mobile benefitted from being about three years later to the party than VZW and Sprint.  T-Mobile looked really shabby 2005-2008, as VZW and Sprint quickly rolled out EV-DO, AT&T more slowly deployed W-CDMA.  Meanwhile, T-Mobile had nothing but GSM.  That said, wireless data had not become the cause célèbre that it has today, so it bought T-Mobile some time to retool and survive.

As for Sprint, it hitched its wagon to Clearwire, which did obtain advanced backhaul for its high frequency, high density sites.  And high frequency, high density sites are the way of the future.  Sprint and Clearwire were ahead of the curve.  But that has been a problem for Sprint -- it has been so proactive (e.g. Nextel merger, Clearwire WiMAX) that it has often gotten out over its skis and lacked the balance to recover gracefully.  But no one who knows what he/she is talking about can fault Sprint for not trying.

AJ

• Like 1

Topic necromancy should be banned.

We've discussed it in the past. However, the majority felt that we should allow it as it seemed better to revive an old topic when something new comes up on a subject than for someone to open yet another new topic. In cases where we don't want a thread to ever be posted on again, we are supposed to lock it.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1