Should Sprint rename their company NEXTEL

Ryan

I thought i would post the topic cause i really like the name NEXTEL and i wanted to kinda get the feel on where everyone stood on this. Maybe I can get Robert's thought on the idea. The thing is its not a name you see very much of. It's a heavy word in my eyes and i think it would be great, what are your guy's thoughts on it?

BTW, if you guys have any other ideas on names that you think would be fitting for the Sprint, bring it up! :) (all in good fun guys)

It would be a bad move in this area. I have heard people talk plenty bad about Nextel here. If they only knew that Nextel has far greater coverage than Sprint here. ;)

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I thought i would post the topic cause i really like the name NEXTEL and i wanted to kinda get the feel on where everyone stood on this. Maybe I can get Robert's thought on the idea. The thing is its not a name you see very much of. It's a heavy word in my eyes and i think it would be great, what are your guy's thoughts on it?

BTW, if you guys have any other ideas on names that you think would be fitting for the Sprint, bring it up! :) (all in good fun guys)

I like it. I think Nextel has a little more kick as a brand name and the way the logos are stylized. Its always had a bit more of a business geared feel to it.

I like the name better.

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that the Sprint Nextel merger is considered one of the least successful of all time. I can't image they would ever use Nextel.

My opinion is Sprint should remain Sprint. If not that, then they need a completely new name. Now there's a thread to start.

They should name themselves "Revolution wireless" because they are always fighting the "man" in the duopolies. Their logo could be this:

03885.jpg

That logo would not go over well in my area.

• Like 1

Terrible idea of renaming Sprint to Nextel. People associate Nextel with PTT and old ancient iDEN technology that is about to be torn down forever. Not to mention that people think that Nextel was a failure which is why it had to merge with Sprint and how that company has ruined Sprint. To me Nextel gives off a negative connotation as a brand.

Sprint has reinvigorated its brand since Hesse has taken over with being the first carrier to launch 4G, Network Vision, unlimited data. If Softbank and Sprint get a deal for a majority stake, there are way more important things like how to strategize to compete against Verizon and AT&T, infuse a ton of money to speed up Network Vision and Clearwire to help them speed up the TD-LTE buildout. Changing the name from Sprint to Nextel would be a waste of time and certainly unnecessary.

When Cingular bought out AT&T wireless they changed the name to AT&T because AT&T has been a long time established brand in telecommunications. In that case it makes sense.

• Like 3

When Cingular bought out AT&T wireless they changed the name to AT&T because AT&T has been a long time established brand in telecommunications. In that case it makes sense.

And when SBC renamed both itself and Cingular as AT&T, many uninformed consumers assumed that AT&T, as in the AT&TWS that Cingular acquired in 2004, had returned. Many would erroneously think the same about a Nextel rebrand.

Nextel. Done. Dead and buried.

AJ

• Like 2

I believe the Nextel name is as tarnished as Sprint, if not worse. Especially among the bread and butter business segment.

However, I do not believe the Sprint name is too far gone. Remember that their business is still growing. People want Sprint to succeed. They just want Sprint to have a network they can use everywhere they go. This is much more important than a name change.

The loud vocal anti Sprint folks will not go away because of a name change. There is nothing you can do for these people. And there will always be Craig Moffetts and Roger Enters in the world. Sprint needs to strive for excellence and let success silence their detractors.

All hail our new Japanese overlords!

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 6

"I call Nextel NEXT TIME! I call it NEXT TIME because I drop the calls all the time so I tell people ILL CALL YA NEXT TIME"

-actual quote, Sprint Nextel Customer (who will remain anonymous)

I feel Nextel is a better than a name that sounds like a bank, a soft bank.

Oh please...if anyone is seriously thinking that Softbank will rename Sprint to Softbank after the deal is out of their minds. Keep in mind that Softbank wouldn't own Sprint outright since they would only be buying about 70% stake. That shouldn't give them the right to change the name. The Japanese are smarter to not to mess with a brand that is on the uprise and is known in the US.

Even if Softbank could rename the company it would be dumb to put their branding in the US when no one has even heard about Softbank until 2 days ago.

Sorry guys it took me so long to get back to you. I dont have a home computer, and can only post at work. lol so im guessing the consensus is no on NEXTEL. Figured as much, but i still like the name :)