Network Vision/LTE - Northern Jersey Market

hihater

On 9/3/2018 at 1:40 PM, ingenium said:

Found a ton of the strand mounts from the Altice partnership in your market. They're everywhere around Saddle River.IMG_20180903_092747.jpeg5038e7f4852d86fc150a882a14241ff7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How many sites would you guess and how far is each node from another? Any more pictures? This is an Airspan Airstrand 1300 small cell. There should be close to 15k of these nodes around the US in addition to the pole mounted nodes from Mobilitie. Not sure who is contracted to install these on the strands.

How many sites would you guess and how far is each node from another? Any more pictures? This is an Airspan Airstrand 1300 small cell. There should be close to 15k of these nodes around the US in addition to the pole mounted nodes from Mobilitie. Not sure who is contracted to install these on the strands.
Sorry, no more pictures. I detected most of them at night via SCP. I'd guess there are at least 100, about a block apart.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ejlwireless said:

These are Altice.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Looks like Sprint is finally ripping and replacing Clear sites in Northern NJ.

Here by Weehawken, went from a single carrier Clear site, which did okish during offpeak times(30-50mbs) and (2-10mb peak) to 200mbs+ offpeak and 80mbs+ during peak times.

Good stuff!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jamesinclair said:

The dead zones along the northeast corridor are ridiculous. Speeds are so bad between Elizabeth and Newark I cant even load the app to report slow data.

You can manually report the problem locations in the My Sprint App at a later time by entering the address where it happened.

I've been bugging people I know at Sprint to enable a "pin drop" function on the Map so that you wouldn't have to have an exact address to make a report. Hopefully they do this.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

You can manually report the problem locations in the My Sprint App at a later time by entering the address where it happened.

I've been bugging people I know at Sprint to enable a "pin drop" function on the Map so that you wouldn't have to have an exact address to make a report. Hopefully they do this.

That would be so useful holy crap. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, RedSpark said:

Good to know. As you said, a pin would be even better because being a railroad, there are no addresses. So Ill have to find a nearby property.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Drove out to Mt. Arlington, NJ and Kenvil, NJ and was surprised by how good T-Mobile's coverage was both on the drive there and while out and about. I was on 5G what seemed like 98% of the the drive out there. I only noticed one time when it dropped down to LTE for less than a mile before picking up 5G and staying on it for the rest of the drive. 

I was even more impressed by performance within both towns as speeds and coverage were similar to, if not better than Verizon in most areas I went. This includes indoors. While at a restaurant, Verizon dropped down to 1 bar of LTE and occasionally lost signal completely while my T-Mobile line bounced between 1-2 bars of LTE without ever dropping completely in the same location. Looking at Cellmapper, almost every site in the area has every Band 2/12/66/71 and n71 so T-Mobile has tons of capacity for this area.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

T-Mobile has been doing lots of upgrades in North Jersey to increase density through Sprint conversions and organically building new sites. I've been identifying some on Cellmapper.

Sprint Conversions: 

1. eNB 874744 (Location: 40.884324553470826, -74.06894151337626)
  2. eNB 875135 (Location: 40.87586452482414, -74.06618163727573)

New Builds:

1. eNB 891761 (Location: 40.92465135307351, -73.96688969812453)
  2. eNB 894907 (Location: 40.89930669860068, -73.9708909875452)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hoboken is littered with small cells on all 3 carriers.

AT&T's small cells look similar to what they deploy on utility poles in NYC but performance can be hit or miss. They all have great range, covering up to  similar to what I see in Brooklyn but speeds vary widely. On some, I'll get 110Mbps and on others I'll only get 20Mbps.

Verizon's has blanketed much of Hoboken in small cells as well. Almost every small cell has a combo of mmWave, CBRS, and Band 2/66. Here's what they look like. Like AT&T they have decent range and thanks to how small, dense, and lax w/ regard to small cell regulation Hoboken is, you're never too far from another mmWave node. I was peaking at around 1.4Gbps just driving around the city.

T-Mobile has deployed these Ericsson Band 2/46/66 strand-mount small cells and they're all insanely fast. It's my understanding that newer T-Mobile nodes in NYC are using the same antennas but have them in an RF transparent enclosure due to city regulations. That way they don't have to install an antenna on top of the pole, though they do sacrifice coverage a bit when doing so. Speeds are great on them though, easily over 500Mbps and in some areas so densely deployed that you just hop from small cell to small cell without ever touching a macro. Recently Extenet has also been deploying some new cantenna-styled small cells for T-Mobile in Hoboken. They have really great range like a mini-macro but I didn't get to test performance at all and I'm not certain if they also have LAA.

— — — — —

Here's a pic of a T-Mobile strand mount I connected to along w/ speeds.

PgaC4Or.jpgLZBW5Hv.png

• Like 2