Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

Did a little mapping in Ballantyne at lunch. Looks like some others picked it up on I-485 as they were driving by too.

i noticed you have a Gnex, did you have to do anything to pick up 4g like airplane mode, or did it automatically pick it up?

i noticed you have a Gnex, did you have to do anything to pick up 4g like airplane mode, or did it automatically pick it up?

It was completely automatic. There is a little lag time when entering an area w/LTE but it seems to find it faster than WiMax used to.

• Like 2

Did a little mapping in Ballantyne at lunch. Looks like some others picked it up on I-485 as they were driving by too.

Edit: Just saw the poster above. It was you!!!

yeah I saw that purple blip in Ballantyne this morning and I had to go check it out ! I see you headed down Johnston Rd a little farther than I did, I was running out of time. I'm going to run it on the way home tonight and see how far it goes down I-485 towards Matthews, heading the other way it didnt drop off till I was coming up on Carolina Place Mall.

Not found anything in Uptown yet... I was over by the Convention Center/Hall of Fame today and still 3G... I'm going head back to my home from Plaza/Midwood today to see how it goes... According to the network.sprint.com site, there should be data speed updated towers on my route.. we'll see if the 4G turns on...

I did notice again that if I am constantly using 3G by say streaming audio etc... that the 4G does not kick in just like I experienced back in August driving through Atlanta..

I can see using this App why unlimited data helps.. it sure uses a lot!!! I don't care... nice to see 4G usage...

I've turned into a wireless dork as Robert says! I skipped lunch to map LTE in Charlotte!

Had to toggle airplane mode to pick it up but once it locked it stayed connected very well. Hopefully JB will fix the initial connection issues.

Welcome to the club. Your life will be forever changed. :hah:

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Welcome to the club. Your life will be forever changed. :hah:

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

I showed the LTE speedtest and my Sensorly map that I posted the other night to my wife and all I got was " it's just a phone..ring ring ring-hello-goodbye thats all I care about" HAHAHA !! :rolleyes:

to say the least she's not converted yet !!

• Like 1

I showed the LTE speedtest and my Sensorly map that I posted the other night to my wife and all I got was " it's just a phone..ring ring ring-hello-goodbye thats all I care about" HAHAHA !! :rolleyes:

to say the least she's not converted yet !!

HAHA, I texted my wife that LTE was active and her response was, "Wow that's great! What's LTE again?"

Slightly OT, but I was at the Sprint corporate store in the Promenade (South Charlotte off Providence/485) this morning checking out the Note 2, and while none of the phones were able to connect to LTE, I was getting great WiMax coverage with my SGS2 and had a speed test of over 10mb down/1.5mb up. It has typically been 3mb at the most.

3G was still around 250 kb/s, though.

Mapped a little more on the way home tonight. Picked it up in the same area as earlier today and held on to it till just short of Rea Rd. I let it try to connect on its own but had to airplane toggle a few times to make the connection.

I was able to run a speed test as well, got 27 down 13 up ping 52

• Like 1

I find just like when I'm streaming, running Sensorly actively makes the 3G hang longer.... When not running anything that actively hits the network constantly, it seems to pick up 4G right away when it can... In the morning when leaving the WIFI in my apartment ( why I should use it I now question since LTE is faster there!!!), goes right to 4G and it hangs till I move beyond the signal of that tower.. I haven't done a real changeover test yet..... I do have other things to do than be a tester for Sprint!!! But I do feel special that I now have a 4G LTE near where I live in Charlotte!! Ha Ha Now let's get going Jacksonville, FL!!!! Saw Ehrpd there the last time I was home 3 weeks ago..

I see a new blip on the Sensorly map, just southeast of Gastonia, NC. Alcatel-Lucent is definitely moving at a good pace it seems. I'd like to see them move north a bit though. :lol:

I see a new blip on the Sensorly map, just southeast of Gastonia, NC. Alcatel-Lucent is definitely moving at a good pace it seems. I'd like to see them move north a bit though. :lol:

You just barely beat me to this (I didn't know Gastonia HAD an airport, lol) AND to the same thought, move NORTH! :D I'd settle for the whole Kannapolis / Concord / University area of CLT though. :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they are doing more work on the tower or they are intentionally blocking the LTE but it looks like the Ballantyne tower is back to 3G only. :(

Edit: There are some offices in my building that are line of sight to the tower and I can pick up a 4G signal there, but the speeds are way down from earlier just like kendokken3 said below. I previously had full signal <-93dBm of LTE in most of my building so they must be doing something to limit the signal.

I went by that tower on the way to work this morning around 6am and was able to connect to LTE at that time. I ran a couple of speedtests and speeds were down compared to last week. It also dropped back to 3G alot quicker as I was only several hundred feet past it on I-485. I was able to stay connected last week till I was almost to Carolina Place Mall..I sure hope they dont start blocking LTE access, I say if it works then let customers use it !

as a side note I upgraded to JB this weekend and it seemed to switch to LTE pretty good on it's own, previously I usually needed to toggle airplane mode to make the connection. I have also noticed this morning that the transition from 1xRTT to eHRPD is MUCH better, it re-establishes connection right away.

Edited by kendokken3
  • Like 2

I haven't been connecting to the NV tower in Ballantyne at all today. Netmonitor shows me connecting to the tower near Carmel Road and Pineville-Matthews Rd. which hasn't had any backhaul enhancements yet. My speeds went from 25+mbps down 8+mbps up last week to 0.25mbps down and 0.10mbps up this week.

I also havent seen eHRPD at all on my phone today, makes me wonder if they had to take it off line for some behind the scenes tuning??

i've noticed on my nexus that it won't connect to ehrpd automatically but if i cycle airplane mode it'll connect to it. It's been that way since i first noticed ehrpd connectivity a few weeks back.