Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

YESSSSSS!!!!! THIS DAY HAS BEEN AWESOME. First Google Fiber, now eHRPD. My life is complete. But seriously, as a person living on fringe LTE, I have almost started firing phone calls off to Ericsson about eHRPD. And even though I know it is unlikely that Google Fiber will be in my neighborhood, it will probably force TWC and Windstream into high gear. Windstream has a fiber loop, why stop at VDSL2? I want them to do FTTH. And now they might have to. Best day evar.

Anybody here familiar with any tower updates in South Charlotte. Our tower is still 3G and my friends phone switches between 3G and LTE constantly. I don't understand why they have ignored our tower for a LTE update. We are in the densely settled and mostly affluent Ballantyne area. (I am not affluent haha). The tower is behind a Harris Teeter at the intersection of Johnston Road and Lancaster Highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Djjim

Anybody here familiar with any tower updates in South Charlotte. Our tower is still 3G and my friends phone switches between 3G and LTE constantly. I don't understand why they have ignored our tower for a LTE update. We are in the densely settled and mostly affluent Ballantyne area. (I am not affluent haha). The tower is behind a Harris Teeter at the intersection of Johnston Road and Lancaster Highway. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The backhaul supplier probably hasn't run the backhaul to the site yet. Without proper backhaul, LTE cannot be turned on for that site. Trust me, Sprint isn't ignoring it, it's the stubborn backhaul suppliers that are ignoring it.

-Anthony

Weird, because AT&T, Verizon and Tmobile all have LTE broadcasting from the same tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that you can't have 4 different operators broadcasting LTE off of the same backhaul. There just isn't enough bandwidth. All 4 operators are using separate backhaul for their respective LTE networks on that site.

-Anthony

Anybody here familiar with any tower updates in South Charlotte. Our tower is still 3G and my friends phone switches between 3G and LTE constantly. I don't understand why they have ignored our tower for a LTE update. We are in the densely settled and mostly affluent Ballantyne area. (I am not affluent haha). The tower is behind a Harris Teeter at the intersection of Johnston Road and Lancaster Highway. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live a bit closer to the city (near highway 51) and there are a few sites around here that have been ready for months (equipment, backhaul, everything, I've seen it all myself) and are still 3G-only. The good news is, I picked up LTE for the first time at one of those towers, which means there is an integration team on the move in Charlotte. If said tower has all equipment and backhaul ready, it could be live soon. The bad news is, if backhaul is still not there, it is up to the backhaul people as to when it gets done.

Backhaul has been ready at the site near my home in Conover (I-40, exit 132, between Hickory and Statesville) for 7 months and though it's marked as being 3G/4G accepted, it is still strictly 3G and is not showing 2 Data Speed upgrades on network.sprint.com.  I am patiently waiting for the site to be complete.

As someone who lives in an condo that includes TWC in my monthly bill I am stuck with it...  I do have my own cable modem and frankly gets decent speed for myself so I'm not really complaining...   Most of the apartments and condos around town have a similar deal since they don't want multiple wires in builidings...  There has been a fair amount of new multi-family construction recently but I wonder if they have missed an opportunity to get them???  Cord cutters would certainly be interested...   Meanwhile, the LTE in close in Charlotte has been getting better and better..  I now get it in my unit when I turn off WIFI...    Location is Queens/Providence corner..

• 2 weeks later...

CR03AW150 went live with LTE in Conover this afternoon.  While sitting down to open my mail, SignalCheckPro made the familiar sound when the phone switched to LTE.  I immediately checked my phone in disbelief.  -89 to -92dBm inside and 1x800 voice is at -58dBm.  I've been waiting for this since the initial projected NV date of October, 2012.  Life is good!

• Like 3

Just wondering if any of you guys have driven around the Charlotte Motor Speeway area lately?  There appears to be what looks like a new cell tower on Pitts School road (in between Pitts School Road Elementry and Morris Glen).  No antennas on it yet, just curious if anyone has heard if it might be a Sprint tower? The surrounding Harrisburg area and neighborhoods on Pitt School Road could definitely use it!!

I just saw what you're talking about the other day. That would help, since the tower @ Pitts School & 29 doesn't reach much past the high school and the Roberta Rd / 49 tower doesn't reach much past the park...or into Harrisburg for that matter. 

I visited Concord Mills yesterday and I had LTE the entire time. This was nice compared to the Hickory area where the tower/site spacing is sparse and you're lucky to have LTE indoors anywhere.  Data was quite slow and it timed out a number of times.  My lowest signal was around -101dBm.

From what I was told, the mall was extra busy due to the CIAA event in Charlotte.  Let's just say that I couldn't wait to get out of that place due to the crowds and disrespectful clientele.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Worker trapped at top of cell tower at the 3800 Block of Shamrock Dr. in east Charlotte

http://www.wbtv.com/story/25218063/man-trapped-at-top-of-cell-tower-in-east-charlotte?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

25218063_BG1.jpg
No mention if he was working on a Sprint project, but as of right now, the story is just breaking.

It sure looks like A/L RRU's and Sprint antennas on the top tier:
IMG_20140410_181232.jpg
This site shows 2 Data Speed upgrades on network.sprint.com. It is 3G/4G accepted.

• Like 1

Worker trapped at top of cell tower at the 3800 Block of Shamrock Dr. in east Charlotte

http://www.wbtv.com/story/25218063/man-trapped-at-top-of-cell-tower-in-east-charlotte?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

25218063_BG1.jpg

No mention if he was working on a Sprint project, but as of right now, the story is just breaking.

It sure looks like A/L RRU's and Sprint antennas on the top tier:IMG_20140410_181232.jpg

This site shows 2 Data Speed upgrades on network.sprint.com. It is 3G/4G accepted.

Woah. I was at that site about a week ago. I hope everything is OK.

Edit: read the article. Glad he's safe.

Hey guys, wondering if anyone is seeing any band 41 or 26 in Charlotte. Im going to be up there Sat. for the Zmaxx Drags.

I am connected to band 41 right now in Uptown Charlotte, near the Holiday Inn on College St. Have been getting it here since my g2 was spark enabled a couple months ago. It's the only spot I have noticed though.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I am connected to band 41 right now in Uptown Charlotte, near the Holiday Inn on College St. Have been getting it here since my g2 was spark enabled a couple months ago. It's the only spot I have noticed though.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I guess I'll have to see if my M8 gets any when I'm at Zmaxx tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One M8

I guess I'll have to see if my M8 gets any when I'm at Zmaxx tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One M8

While at Zmaxx, you'll definately get Band 25, as there is a tower right across the road and through a couple trees from the drag strip. I'm not exactly sure about Band 41, even though there is Clearwire equipment on the same tower. I'm not exactly sure if it has been upgraded to Band 41 yet, mostly because I only have my dual band 5S. As for Band 26, you won't see any of that around here, and not even 1x800 either.

-Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 1X800 today in Monroe and it held all the way home in Indian Trail. I tried a phone call while connected and it was good and clear. I'm on the stock PRL.

This has got to be the first sighting of 1x800 in NC...I have a buddy down there that has been bitching about voice signal for a little while, hopefully this will help relieve some areas.

This has got to be the first sighting of 1x800 in NC...I have a buddy down there that has been bitching about voice signal for a little while, hopefully this will help relieve some areas.

Yes this is huge. Haven't seen anything yet myself but very hopeful

Sent from my LG-gee using Tapatalk

Not the first sighting, but I'm glad to see it coming online in more areas.  We've had 1x800 in the Hickory, NC area for at least the past 6+ months.  It is not yet optimized, but my phone will always connect to 1x800 when I make or receive a phone call, despite my being less than a 1/2 mi. from the site and have a -58 to -62dBm 1x800 signal there, which is nice.  For comparison, LTE on 1900 is around -85 to -91dBm when I'm at home.

• Like 2

My house today in high point. It came on last night.avetuvar.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

What device is this? Are you running a modified ROM? I see you have the spark logo, but also have both voice and data simultaneously which is impossible on a triband device.
  • Like 1