Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

I haven't noticed 3G being any better in Cary, but man 4G (wimax) is absolutely flying. I don't know how long it's been like this at my new job which gets great wimax reception, but before when I worked not even a minute down the road it was pretty terrible. I was a delivery driver at that job as well so even all over Cary/Apex the speeds were decent but constantly dropped connection. Before it was normally like 2 mbps down. Now my last tests are 12875 kbps, 5714 kbps, 11662 kbps, and 12225 kbps. Not bad! This is making it a little easier to wait on upgrading my phone. I really want the next Nexus and hopefully by then Sprint will have some LTE around here.

• Like 1

Great to see NV Upgrades in my hometown of Salisbury...my family isn't far at all from that tower by the YMCA. Hopefully my area of RDU isn't far behind (airport area).

This has been asked before, but it may vary by market. Will Sprint turn on LTE on a tower-by-tower basis as upgrades are complete, or will they wait for an announcement and flip the switch all at once?

Edited by spotmeterf64

Great to see NV Upgrades in my hometown of Salisbury...my family isn't far at all from that tower by the YMCA. Hopefully my area of RDU isn't far behind (airport area).

This has been asked before' date=' but it may vary by market. Will Sprint turn on LTE on a tower-by-tower basis as upgrades are complete, or will they wait for an announcement and flip the switch all at once?[/quote']

They typically block LTE connections to live sites until a market formally launches. However, there have been exceptions to this rule.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just drove by the tower that was pointed out today in Salisbury (the one by the YMCA). I can confirm better speeds. No LTE yet.

It seems the one by Magic Mart / Ryans was also improved. I am unsure of how many other towers exist in Salisbury.

the one by magic mart was down a few weeks ago (my wife works there and was complaining to me about it for a week). There is also a tower near the old Salisbury Mall where JC Penney's is at, and another tower near the Sprint store on Innes St. The news yesterday about the cities that will be upgraded in the "coming months" coupled with the work i noticed at the tower has me excited that my small town could get LTE pretty soon. I can hope so anyways.

What's the latest on RDU? I see Fayetteville and several other RDU Market areas listed on Sprint's PR yesterday. I don't see Raleigh or Durham...are they still getting NV upgrades soon? LTE is secondary to better voice/3G coverage and reliability to me.

When will I see NV Upgrades in my neck of the woods; by the RDU Airport (Lumley Rd/Brier Creek Ave to be more precise)? I have to use an Airave to get coverage in my apartment right now. Hopefully once NV reaches this zone I can send it back.

Edited by spotmeterf64

You know... work my be going on in the triangle. I'm pretty sure they've applied some band-aid fixes at least. Mid day I can get 3g speeds over 60kB/s down in an area I got 1-5 previously. (Regency Pkwy in Cary) Can't get speeds over the magical 1.544 Mbps though (T1), so they haven't installed fiber at this site.

These guys were working the 'big' tower, that's my tech talk, i mentioned before on Wade Ave and Ridge Rd, Raleigh. You all know more about what this means, if anything, than I. They were specifically working with those large Semi Cylinder 'things' on the top row. This was Thursday 9/13/12.

IMAG0483.jpg

• Like 1

These guys were working the 'big' tower' date=' that's my tech talk, i mentioned before on Wade Ave and Ridge Rd, Raleigh. You all know more about what this means, if anything, than I. They were specifically working with those large Semi Cylinder 'things' on the top row. This was Thursday 9/13/12.

[/quote']

That top rung sure looks like the rounded front AlcaLu panels. I think we may now have a confirmed Raleigh site.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

<br /><br />That top rung sure looks like the rounded front AlcaLu panels. I think we may now have a confirmed Raleigh site.<br /><br />Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Wayyyyy ahead schedule there for that site no, Robert?

Jw if this is an early tower bc of some major issue it had or if you've heard whispers of them rolling out sites earlier in our area here?

Side note.... Silly tapatalk not actually editing my post when I do it in their app. Lol

That top rung sure looks like the rounded front AlcaLu panels. I think we may now have a confirmed Raleigh site.

I may have to go check that out!
  • Like 1

Wayyyyy ahead schedule there for that site no, Robert?

Jw if this is an early tower bc of some major issue it had or if you've heard whispers of them rolling out sites earlier in our area here?

Side note.... Silly tapatalk not actually editing my post when I do it in their app. Lol

The schedule is based on info provided from backhaul vendors as to what sites would be ready and when. Then NV OEM's and Subcontractors took that data and created the schedule. There is likely to be variability where some sites are ready earlier than planned, and some later. This gets more and more complex depending on the number of backhaul vendors there are in a market. Most markets have more than 3 vendors, and some have more than 6. And also, some markets are sticking to the schedule better than others.

However, with so many past due sites in each market, the validity of the initial schedule has been all but completely breached at this point. If there have been updates to the market schedules, I haven't received them.

Robert

The schedule is based on info provided from backhaul vendors as to what sites would be ready and when. Then NV OEM's and Subcontractors took that data and created the schedule. There is likely to be variability where some sites are ready earlier than planned' date=' and some later. This gets more and more complex depending on the number of backhaul vendors there are in a market. Most markets have more than 3 vendors, and some have more than 6. And also, some markets are sticking to the schedule better than others.

However, with so many past due sites in each market, the validity of the initial schedule has been all but completely breached at this point. If there have been updates to the market schedules, I haven't received them.

Robert[/quote']

In other words, no one really knows when/if we're getting LTE?!

Sent from my S-off'd MeanRom EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner!

In other words' date=' no one really knows when/if we're getting LTE?!

Sent from my S-off'd MeanRom EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner![/quote']

What's with all the drama? Don't be ridiculous. Its not an issue of "if.". Only an issue of when. Even Sprint doesn't know the exact time and date markets 3-4 months out will be ready to launch. Just approximations.

Even Verizon didn't announce specific launch dates that far out. They gave generic "end of the year" type projections to give themselves enough room to encounter problems that could arise.

You are not being realistic at all.

• Like 1

What's with all the drama? Don't be ridiculous. Its not an issue of "if.". Only an issue of when. Even Sprint doesn't know the exact time and date markets 3-4 months out will be ready to launch. Just approximations.

Even Verizon didn't announce specific launch dates that far out. They gave generic "end of the year" type projections to give themselves enough room to encounter problems that could arise.

You are not being realistic at all.

Not trying to be dramatic. I hope we all get it soon. But realistically speaking, there were locations slated for 4g but never got it. All I'm saying is that no one truly knows.

Not trying to be dramatic. I hope we all get it soon. But realistically speaking, there were locations slated for 4g but never got it. All I'm saying is that no one truly knows.

Really when? Surely you are not talking WiMAX with that comment?.....if so sorry but the two can't be compared at all in ANY way, as clearwire did the WiMAX and sprint has this particular rollout beast by the horns here.....totally different

The use of the word "if" really isn't needed at all like Robert said. It's When it'll happen. Calm down, its coming.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

These guys were working the 'big' tower, that's my tech talk, i mentioned before on Wade Ave and Ridge Rd, Raleigh. You all know more about what this means, if anything, than I. They were specifically working with those large Semi Cylinder 'things' on the top row. This was Thursday 9/13/12.

IMAG0483.jpg

Well I dunno what speed this thing used to have at this time but I pulled 1.8Mbps DL and 350kbps UL connected to Richmond server at 8am this morning. Though pings were 250ms...

Still had the guide wires hanging off the tower so they are still working on it....whenever I get free this week or next ill try to scoot out of work early and see what exactly is going on here.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2