Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

It'll be done site by site as an integration team rolls by to install digital unit cards for lte 800 and set up the software parameters for the site. Before that can happen they'll need to physically replace a lot of the original lte 1900 only antennas for dual band 800+1900 one which they're slowly doing now.

If past history is any indication it will not be stronger than b25 initially or.. Ever.

Sent from my LG-H790

Do the new dual band 800+1900 antennas provide any better range/coverage than the existing 1900 only ones?

No real change other than the addition of 800 support. Both antennas are built to Network Vision standards.

Well there is no such thing as Network Vision standard. It just means modern off the shelf equipment that's newer than 10+ year old designs.

No custom made equipment other than the 2.5 Equipment. Pretty much all off the shelf type of stuff for 800/1900.

Sent from my LG-H790

Well there is no such thing as Network Vision standard. It just means modern off the shelf equipment that's newer than 10+ year old designs.

No custom made equipment other than the 2.5 Equipment. Pretty much all off the shelf type of stuff for 800/1900.

Sent from my LG-H790

Point taken. But they wouldn't be used if they didn't meet some standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Correct on your device assessment. The HTC One (M7) is a single band device, it is only equipped to use Band 25 (1900 LTE). Any device from the HTC One (M8) on (2014 & 2015 flagships) is considered a Spark (or Tri-band) device which means it supports Band 26 and Band 41. Flagship devices from this year also support Carrier Aggregation on Band 41 which doubles the theoretical top speed for B41 to 160Mbps.

Sprint uses their SMR 800 spectrum to broadcast one 5x5 LTE carrier, and one or two 1xRTT carriers.

Thank you all for the information!   Greatly appreciated.   I have a question;   I can get a new Galaxy S6 for under a hundred bucks at my Sam's club.   Should I get it?   It's Tri-Band, with Carrier aggregation, correct?   Or should I wait a little longer?  I can use my 2 year contract update for it, but don't know how long Sprint will still do contracts...   Confused.. don't know whether to get it or wait for something better?  Is there something better to take advantage of all the latest signal technology?

Edited by dro1984

Thank you all for the information!   Greatly appreciated.   I have a question;   I can get a new Galaxy S6 for under a hundred bucks at my Sam's club.   Should I get it?   It's Tri-Band, with Carrier aggregation, correct?   Or should I wait a little longer?  I can use my 2 year contract update for it, but don't know how long Sprint will still do contracts...   Confused.. don't know whether to get it or wait for something better?  Is there something better to take advantage of all the latest signal technology?

The only real changes will be 3xCA sometime next year. But if you like Samsung devices, I see no reason not to get the GS6. Sprint will not be kicking you off your contract anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the new dual band 800+1900 antennas provide any better range/coverage than the existing 1900 only ones?

The only thing is that 800 MHz signal will travel further than 1900 MHz and would have better in-building penetration... So if you are in buildings where your phone drops to 3G, you would probably be able to stay on LTE B26 ....

• 3 weeks later...

FYI  Sprint LTE connectivity issues in Farmington Hills, around 12 Mile and Halsted Rd.

Numerous Sprint phones can't connect to LTE. 3G is weak.

I had been out of the area for a little while but discovered today that a long time 3G-only site near M-5 and 14 Mile was finally pumping out (weak) LTE.

I'm thinking the LTE outage you noticed in the area was related. Often saw something similar when the initial NV upgrades hit our area ~3 years ago. I don't remember exactly anymore but I believe Sprint temporarily turned off LTE from peripheral sites when bringing a new LTE site online for tuning purposes.

• Like 2

Sprint is now tied for third place in the Detroit area according to RootMetrics. This is impressive given their lack of Band 26. I don't have time to read through the last few pages of this thread but how is everyone's experience here? Is reliability increasing or are there still an insane amount of LTE drop offs?

• Like 2

Sprint is now tied for third place in the Detroit area according to RootMetrics. This is impressive given their lack of Band 26. I don't have time to read through the last few pages of this thread but how is everyone's experience here? Is reliability increasing or are there still an insane amount of LTE drop offs?

My experience has been good when I'm not in a building, but the moment I walk into a building I drop to an unusable 3G or 1x. Really would like B26 to show up soon but it'll be a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I thought everything was clear with the FCC and Canadian border rebanding now? Anyone know when we might start seeing B26?

US side Is cleared. FCC has no authority over the Canadian holders who are taking their sweet sweet time. Optimistically we're looking at a 3x3 lte 800 carrier on the Canadian border being activated region by region mid to late 2016.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty amazed so far... I just bought a new Galaxy Note 5 and I have B41 all around my house!  I can actually get a decent signal inside.     I have downloaded Signal Pro and from my town's maps, I am pulling in old Clear Towers nearby.   The Sprint towers are all about 1.5 to 2 miles each, away from me.  The Clear tower that is about 10 blocks away!    :)    Lets see a Note 5 for $49 bucks/2year contract and a strong signal in the house.   Merry Christmas to me!!!

• Like 2

That is theft! $49!!! How did you do it? Does the 2 year contract cover the phone cost?

Was a weekend special at Sam's Club only.   They also waved the activation fee.   Couldn't pass up the deal.   Iphones and Sumsung Galaxy models were all included, but at different prices.

Does anyone know if Sprint is still adding Band 41 coverage and updating radios at it's towers around Detroit area?   I can get band 41 around my home, but if i go into town more, or travel around, it's still mostly Band 25 (1900 mHz)?