CLEAR Spot Voyager

danielholt

It seems technically possible that perhaps a TDD WiMax only device may be able to be software manipulated to run TD-LTE on the same EBS/BRS frequencies. Although it seems like a tall order. But it may be feasible.

At least it's not of the same ilk as the folks who were claiming that their Sprint WiMax devices could run on Sprint LTE at 1900. Being that it was a different frequency, and FDD instead of TDD, I knew that was never going to happen. Yet I had that argument here in our forums and on our social media sites for almost one year!

Robert

It seems technically possible that perhaps a TDD WiMax only device may be able to be software manipulated to run TD-LTE on the same EBS/BRS frequencies. Although it seems like a tall order. But it may be feasible.

At least it's not of the same ilk as the folks who were claiming that their Sprint WiMax devices could run on Sprint LTE at 1900. Being that it was a different frequency, and FDD instead of TDD, I knew that was never going to happen. Yet I had that argument here in our forums and on our social media sites for almost one year!

Robert

I would reactivate mine in a heartbeat if it can do LTE. Especially at $50 for unlimited.

1) It's perfectly safe to leave it plugged in 24/7.

2) The Clear modem with wifi has a better antenna than the Voyager. It has been proven in the past. Don't remember where the post is regarding it though.

Well, I got the Clear Hub Express as a replacement for the Clear Spot Voyager, and I'm quite happy. Very stable and strong 4G signal (5 bars), and I can leave it plugged in 24/7 without worry. Download in my house is just over 1 Mbps. You can tell I'm a novice, but I thought the stronger the signal the faster the speed without limit. It finally came through to me that my PLAN dictates the maximum speed. I'm not paying $10/month more for 2-4 Mbps unless my VoIP call quality gets bad. Edited by biff

Regarding LTE upgradability, I doubt it, but I guess it depends on how close tdd-lte is to iee802.16e implementation of the device.

IMW-C910W is a portable WiMAX to Wi-Fi Router which is fully compliant with Mobile WiMAX Wave2 profiles based on the IEEE 802.16e-2005 standard.

This device lets the users of Wi-Fi devices connect to a WiMAX Network. And it support USB Tethering mode (RNDIS), it support to connect to a WiMAX Network by USB.

It supports the 2.5GHz frequency band and offers high speed access in the Mobile WiMAX Network. Using this device, it makes multiple users access to the internet.

http://registry.wimaxforum.org/certification/403

• 3 months later...

So, that's a little disappointing that speeds really are that much lower with the voyager hot spot. I got routinely around 3-9 on my Evo. I did have a question though, as I upgrade my phone here soon, I am contemplating a clear spot until NV 3g/LTE upgrades hit my area. How does the hot spot do with handoffs? My drive to work has me going into and out of service 2-3 times. With my Evo, it's pretty easy to force a rescan and reconnect. Thanks!

the hotspot handles 4g to 4g handoffs with no interruption however since this device is 4g only, if you are in between 4g service areas, then obviously you will lose service.

That said, it does seem to hold on to, and re-gain service a little better than my evo 4g/3d does. There is no manual rescan, that I have noticed, but it seems to be always scanning anyway if not already connected.