Google Nexus 4 by LG

Mondays In Flames

So, looks like the Nexus 4 supports LTE in AWS. Doesn't do a thing for Sprint, but interesting nonetheless. FCC antenna diagrams note two receive antennas for AWS, so this device can do standard 1x2 LTE just like anything else, for full download speeds.

I had this discussion on Twitter with AnandTech's Brian Klug. The Nexus 4 supports W-CDMA Rx diversity, but that is not the same as MIMO diversity and did not guarantee LTE MIMO capability. My first suspicion was that the Nexus 4 did not support LTE MIMO, as evidenced by early speed test results coming out of Canada. But more recent speed test results show without a doubt that the Nexus 4 -- with current firmware, mind you -- is fully functional as an FCC unauthorized Category 3 UE for LTE band 4 (AWS).

AJ

I had this discussion on Twitter with AnandTech's Brian Klug. The Nexus 4 supports W-CDMA Rx diversity, but that is not the same as MIMO diversity and did not guarantee LTE MIMO capability. My first suspicion was that the Nexus 4 did not support LTE MIMO, as evidenced by early speed test results coming out of Canada. But more recent speed test results show without a doubt that the Nexus 4 -- with current firmware, mind you -- is fully functional as an FCC unauthorized Category 3 UE for LTE band 4 (AWS).

AJ

Yeah; from what I've seen, the current crop of LTE devices only actually support 2x1 MISO anyway...two Rx streams but only one Tx stream.

Mind linking to the more recent speed tests? The fastest one I've seen so far IRL is 15 Mbps or so in both directions. Maybe a few Mbps more.

Mind linking to the more recent speed tests? The fastest one I've seen so far IRL is 15 Mbps or so in both directions. Maybe a few Mbps more.

Yeah, I believe I saw the same speed test. And that led me to conjecture that the Nexus 4 could be gimped by no MIMO, as that would limit it to roughly 18 Mbps downlink throughput on a 5 MHz FDD carrier.

But none other than Howard Chui himself, of HowardForums fame, has demonstrated undeniably MIMO enhanced Nexus 4 LTE throughput:

AJ

Yeah, I believe I saw the same speed test. And that led me to conjecture that the Nexus 4 could be gimped by no MIMO, as that would limit it to roughly 18 Mbps downlink throughput on a 5 MHz FDD carrier.

But none other than Howard Chui himself, of HowardForums fame, has demonstrated undeniably MIMO enhanced Nexus 4 LTE throughput:

AJ

Wow. That's all I can say to those speeds, especially on an "unsupported" device

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I just got an email from google:

Nexus 4 will be available for purchase later today!

Order yours from Google Play starting today, November 27 at 12:00 noon PST (U.S. only).

Canceled my order since I had no idea when it would ship (said 3 weeks, originally). Going to try and order (again) today.

• Like 2

Wow. That's all I can say to those speeds, especially on an "unsupported" device

To be clear, those peak speeds are possible on a 10 MHz FDD LTE carrier -- twice the bandwidth that Sprint is initially deploying.

AJ

I enjoyed bringing along my Nexus 4 to my trip to Wichita Falls. It performed admirably in Santa Fe, Amarillo and Wichita Falls. Averaging about 5Mbps DL and 1Mbps UL. Peaked at 21Mbps at one spot in Amarillo. However, Tmo 3G coverage is so bad just 5 miles out of the cities. It's unfortunate I cannot access engineering screens on this thing.

I did appreciate that you can access the Hotspot on the Nexus 4 for no additional cost. It is normally $15 additional per month with Tmo. But with the Nexus 4, they offer it for no additional cost. The data just comes out of your allotment. And thats the way it should be with tiered data.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I enjoyed bringing along my Nexus 4 to my trip to Wichita Falls. It performed admirably in Santa Fe, Amarillo and Wichita Falls. Averaging about 5Mbps DL and 1Mbps UL. Peaked at 21Mbps at one spot in Amarillo. However, Tmo 3G coverage is so bad just 5 miles out of the cities. It's unfortunate I cannot access engineering screens on this thing.

I did appreciate that you can access the Hotspot on the Nexus 4 for no additional cost. It is normally $15 additional per month with Tmo. But with the Nexus 4, they offer it for no additional cost. The data just comes out of your allotment. And thats the way it should be with tiered data.

I really hope that I get it this time around. I was rather frustrated with how they handled the process last time. I'm rather urban in Boston, so I am hoping for great coverage.

• Like 1

By my estimation, they must have sold out of the 16GB within 1 minute. This Apple-style artificial scarcity is really annoying...

Update: well, it's been bouncing back and forth between available and sold out. I haven't successfully checked out with one yet though.

Update 2: finally got an order through tonight about 15 minutes ago. The trick is to just keep clicking on the "Proceed" button once you have one in your cart until it goes through.

• Like 2

This launch is a train wreck. David Ruddock of Android Police sums it up with 100% accuracy.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/27/no-nexus-4-you-anatomy-of-a-smartphone-launch-disaster/

Launching without an LTE model was a mistake. The other mistakes were worse.

The battery life on the Nexus 4 is fantastic in standby mode. It will drop only 25% in a full day of no use. However, battery life while actively using drops faster than any device I've had since the Galaxy Nexus. It's not on par with Sprint LTE devices since the EVO. Definitely a step down. It could be the quad cores, I suppose. It could just be LG. However, the quad cores on the Note 2 feel like they have no effect on battery life.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The battery life on the Nexus 4 is fantastic in standby mode. It will drop only 25% in a full day of no use. However, battery life while actively using drops faster than any device I've had since the Galaxy Nexus. It's not on par with Sprint LTE devices since the EVO. Definitely a step down. It could be the quad cores, I suppose. It could just be LG. However, the quad cores on the Note 2 feel like they have no effect on battery life.

The battery life on the Gnex is the reason I returned mine. I am loving the gs3 battery life. Not only that, but I got a huge 4400mAh battery for on the go so I will always have juice in case I find LTE anywhere!

I do wonder why Nexus devices suffer from battery drain more than the other bloated up devices.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This guy was selling phones out of the trunk of his car in McDonald's parking lot. I got a great deal on an Ng Lexus 4. I think it is made in Vietnam.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

This guy was selling phones out of the trunk of his car in McDonald's parking lot. I got a great deal on an Ng Lexus 4. I think it is made in Vietnam.

;)

AJ

Hows the battery life? Can you access qooqle plae on that?

I was scared two days ago when I first went and got my nexus from Sprint because I steady saw poor battery life reviews but so far I'm so glad I chose to find out for myself because I've been on lte since I bought it and had good battery life so far to have been on 4g the whole time tomorrow I'm gonna test WiFi only

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Wrong thread, mellimel.

AJ

Can you blame that on poor signal strength though? I know you said t mobile has poor coverage in your area.

Can you blame that on poor signal strength though? I know you said t mobile has poor coverage in your area.

They have poor HSPA/HSPA+ coverage in my area. They have very good EDGE coverage. At my home and office I have a strong "E" signal. However, most of my Nexus 4 use is on WiFi.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I have intentionally not accepted updates to my Nexus 4 because I knew this was going to happen. I'm keeping my LTE capability until they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

I have intentionally not accepted updates to my Nexus 4 because I knew this was going to happen. I'm keeping my LTE capability until they pry it from my cold dead hands!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

How is speeds??

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

How is speeds??

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't been able to use LTE on it yet. But I do not want it taken away from me either.