Google Nexus 4 by LG

Mondays In Flames

Just surprising because it wasn't tested with the FCC

LTE operation on the Nexus 4 is also unauthorized, as it is not certified to meet FCC emissions standards. Therefore, I would expect to see a Class II Permissive Change filing with the FCC. If not, LTE band 4 (AWS) stealth capability stands to be locked out in future firmware updates.

Regardless, I have speculated on Twitter that anecdotal evidence coming out of Canada indicates that the Nexus 4 may not support 2x2 downlink MIMO, and that would make the Nexus 4 a less desirable LTE handset.

AJ

• Like 2

yep, I have seen that too when I used Tmobile for a month. H+ was indicated on the phone, but no speed test ever went above 1Mbps, anytime of the day.

These cell companies can have all the spectrum in the world but if they don't have the towers correctly connected to a network, makes no difference.

I tried TMobile for a few days a few years back and their maps were hugely over exaggerated. I had no coverage in lots of places I needed it. They have added a few rural towers in some areas but they are still have huge holes that even Sprint covers. They are even missing the entire home of the Cajun Pawn Stars (hate that show, nothing Cajun about them or that city). Weird priorities on the new towers they recently added. You would think interstate corridors would be first.

Thanks for the review of the device, not a bad price for their plan either!

Sent from my SPH-L900

I find with T-Mobile I only get 3G/4G coverage in their two darkest colors on their maps.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I tried TMobile for a few days a few years back and their maps were hugely over exaggerated. I had no coverage in lots of places I needed it. They have added a few rural towers in some areas but they are still have huge holes that even Sprint covers. They are even missing the entire home of the Cajun Pawn Stars (hate that show' date=' nothing Cajun about them or that city). Weird priorities on the new towers they recently added. You would think interstate corridors would be first.

Thanks for the review of the device, not a bad price for their plan either!

Sent from my SPH-L900

[/quote']

I had T-Mobile for 4 years, and I had dead spots in my home where it wouldn't work at all. It drove me crazy. Then last year i tried to get postpaid with them, and they tried to steal my money. They now refuse to have me for a customer.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Bought the Nexus 4 on launch day and I am on the $30 dollar unlimited plan from T-Mobile. Data speeds have been very good for me, much better than my Evo LTE. Especially when I'm out and about I consistently see better speeds than on my Evo. The problem with my Evo is that I either have 4g or I basically have nothing due to 3g speeds being so spotty. I'm sure that when Sprint finished Network vision in Chicago it will be much better, but I usually have to roam just to get data, I believe I roamed about 600mb last month. For me the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile has been excellent.

So apparently the nexus 4 has lte but it's only picking up band 4 which is only being used in Canada at the moment. And I hear that T-Mobile Will roll out lte on band 4 as well so you can look forward to that.

http://forum.xda-dev.../showthread.php

But it lacks a signal amplifier and a filter. I can't say I understand what that means, but I'm going to guess it degrades the signal quality, and in turn, the speeds on LTE. LG has said the only reason they used the LTE chip was to provide the excellent performance availible on the Optimus G, but for the 3G/HSPA market.

Alex Dobie of Android Central has started the rumor-mongering. Sprint LTE variant coming late Q1 2013 with 32 GB.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/rumored-devices/227371-sprint-nexus-4-a.html

So: is that too soon for band 26? Or Clearwire LTE? I guess it will hinge on if it is truly a fully-customized Sprint setup, or more like what Apple did where they attempt to cover the entire world's networks with as few variants as possible.

Alex Dobie of Android Central has started the rumor-mongering. Sprint LTE variant coming late Q1 2013 with 32 GB.

So: is that too soon for band 26? Or Clearwire LTE? I guess it will hinge on if it is truly a fully-customized Sprint setup' date=' or more like what Apple did where they attempt to cover the entire world's networks with as few variants as possible.[/quote']

That has been what I've been thinking all along. It would only benefit Android and LG by bringing the phone to every carrier possible.

Also, I one of the comments saying something about Sierra Nevada ruthless rye... Very delicious beer, one of my favorites.

So: is that too soon for band 26? Or Clearwire LTE? I guess it will hinge on if it is truly a fully-customized Sprint setup, or more like what Apple did where they attempt to cover the entire world's networks with as few variants as possible.

This is why I will probably switch to a cheap gsm provider for my nexus needs haha.. CDMA always gets things a little late. Then again that is a rumor but if it holds to be true. That will be late release compared to gsm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Didn't the Galaxy Nexus launch on a CDMA carrier in the U.S.? Since LG has such a similar device in the Optimus G, it seems not doing a CDMA version is probably by design by Google. They probably want to see what kind of unlocked GSM only demand they could generate before announcing other variants.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I for one prefer CDMA having used both better building penetration

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

That and a bunch of other qualities like soft handoff for instance. CDMA just works.

I wish all CDMA providers used SIM's, and for that I think CDMA isn't great for a consumer who changes phones, but you cannot question that it's the best thing going for voice.

They probably want to see what kind of unlocked GSM only demand they could generate before announcing other variants.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Considering how the Play Store melted down and shipping times are back, I'm going to guess demand is high.

I don't think Google is going to agree to sell the Nexus 4 on Sprint unless it is a no-compromise device. I bet Google wants no bloat, no carrier branding, and a removable SIM unlike most of the LTE phones on Sprint. People like the Nexus experience. After the whole "Fake Nexus" debacle, I don't think Sprint would want to compromise again. If they compromise, that's not on Sprint at that point, that's on Google.

Sprint wants us to have the "Sprint ID' on all their phones! hahahaha, awful, really.

Is that even on some of the higher end phones? I didn't see the Sprint ID software on the GS3 or EVO. I don't know if it's on the Optimus G, but I didn't see it on there when I demoed it at the store.

Is that even on some of the higher end phones? I didn't see the Sprint ID software on the GS3 or EVO. I don't know if it's on the Optimus G, but I didn't see it on there when I demoed it at the store.

Yeah sprint ID is on my Optimus G

So, looks like the Nexus 4 supports LTE in AWS. Doesn't do a thing for Sprint, but interesting nonetheless. FCC antenna diagrams note two receive antennas for AWS, so this device can do standard 1x2 LTE just like anything else, for full download speeds.

LG is denying LTE stuff up and down, probably to keep the FCC off their backs, but this phone will be able to drop onto T-Mobile LTE once it's out without issue, as well as Verizon LTE in a few years once their AWS network is built out (though coverage will be spotty because I guarantee that VZW won't build AWS LTE out as much as they have done in 700MHz).

Related: anyone want to sell their N4 for what they paid for it? I can wait until Google restocks some phones, but just thought I'd throw that out there...