Google Nexus 4 by LG

Mondays In Flames

I'm thinking of picking up the Nexus 4 and getting a cheap prepaid GSM SIM card for a few months. Maybe Straight Talk running on Tmo. Maybe not even activate it and just run it on my VZW hotspot. I'm not sure yet. I finally got paid on an old invoice that I never expected getting, and I'm thinking of doing this with that money.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'm thinking of picking up the Nexus 4 and getting a cheap prepaid GSM SIM card for a few months. Maybe Straight Talk running on Tmo. Maybe not even activate it and just run it on my VZW hotspot. I'm not sure yet. I finally got paid on an old invoice that I never expected getting, and I'm thinking of doing this with that money.

If you have DC-HSPA+ in your area, the 30/month prepaid 4G plan with 5GB data + 100 minutes plan on T-Mobile is pretty compelling.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

There was an interesting article on The Verge on why Google elected to omit LTE. After reading it, it made total sense. $299 unclocked for a flagship device would never happen if the carriers were playing interference.

I am really eager to try out the Nexus 4.

If you have DC-HSPA+ in your area' date=' the 30/month prepaid 4G plan with 5GB data + 100 minutes plan on T-Mobile is pretty compelling.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

There was an interesting article on The Verge on why Google elected to omit LTE. After reading it, it made total sense. 299 unclocked for a flagship device would never happen if the carriers were playing interference.

I am really eager to try out the Nexus 4.[/quote']

That's a great deal. For me, it would not be my primary phone. Tmo HSPA+ service is pretty spotty in my area. But for $30 a month, it's affordable for a second account to play with.

• Like 1

For those who have been noisily clamoring for a quad core smartphone, the performance gains are underwhelming and at the expense of battery life. Watch what you ask for -- you just might get it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

AJ

The Nexus 4 has done very poorly on benchmarks for some reason. The Optimus G which has the same internals has dominated everything. The S4 Pro in the G typically scores 7500 in quadrant, making it much faster than the exynos 5. Battery life doesn't seem to take a hit either, as most sites say they are getting a days use out of it which is average.

The Nexus 4 has done very poorly on benchmarks for some reason. The Optimus G which has the same internals has dominated everything. The S4 Pro in the G typically scores 7500 in quadrant, making it much faster than the exynos 5. Battery life doesn't seem to take a hit either, as most sites say they are getting a days use out of it which is average.

Newer version of Android is probably to blame.

I think I have talked my wife into allowing me to get the Nexus 4. She says it will be my Christmas gift if I do it. And I'm OK with that.

If I pull the plug on Tuesday and proceed, I will likely do the Tmo $30 off contract SIM card. AT&T has much better service in my area, but I hate those bastards. I really won't be using the phone much except perhaps in slow data areas of ABQ and Santa Fe. And I will likely only pay for service a few months. This is just for fun.

• Like 1

If I pull the plug on Tuesday...

I do not know how this post escaped my watch. No, Robert, do not pull the plug. We would miss you too much!

pull_the_plug_25.jpg

AJ

I do not know how this post escaped my watch. No' date=' Robert, do not pull the plug. We will miss you too much!

AJ[/quote']

I'm not going anywhere. It would just be a superfluous device. Tmo coverage is so poor in my area outside of Santa Fe and ABQ, that it will not even be remotely tempting to leave Sprint. But I am curious about this whole "buy unlocked from Google" concept now that there are viable ways to get inexpensive prepaid data plans via SIM only. I probably will only pay for prepaid service for a few months, and then my Nexus 4 will go into my dusty device bag.

I'm even considering a Sprint LG Optimus G purchase and doing a side by side comparison article. But don't tell my wife. She is just barely on board with the Nexus 4 idea. She thinks I have a device problem. I can quit anytime I want. ;)

I'm not going anywhere.

Oh, I know. I am just riffing on your use of "pull the plug," which has become associated with dying. I think the idiom you intended more was "pull the trigger."

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Oh, I know. I am just riffing on your use of "pull the plug," which has become associated with dying. I think the idiom you intended more was "pull the trigger."

AJ

Hmmm. I always find it amazing how many people screw up common expressions. I usually laugh at them. I think in this instance, I am the idiot. I have often used that expression "pull the plug" in this manner. It is stuck in my mind that way, even though not proper. DOH!

On another note, I tried buying the Nexus 4 the moment it went on sale at 10AM MST. It would let me put it in my cart, but not check out with it. I tried about 5 times. I gave up and came back 30 minutes later, and then it says it is not available and to put my name on a notification list. Now there are news reports that they are selling out. Bummer.

Robert

On another note, I tried buying the Nexus 4 the moment it went on sale at 10AM MST. It would let me put it in my cart, but not check out with it. I tried about 5 times. I gave up and came back 30 minutes later, and then it says it is not available and to put my name on a notification list. Now there are news reports that they are selling out. Bummer.

I guess Google and all the other interested buyers happened to "pull the plug" on your plans.

AJ

I guess Google and all the other interested buyers happened to "pull the plug" on your plans.

AJ

Actually, I just got through and made the purchase. However, Tmo will not allow me to buy a Micro SIM card online from them. They don't like my physical address, they say it's not a real address. LOL

Looks like I will have to go to Walmart and pick up a Tmo SIM card today.

Robert

I kid, I kid. I have had the same thoughts about the Nexus 4. I am currently down to just my longterm Sprint line, but I would like to add another carrier for diversity. I refuse to do business with anti competitive asshats VZW and AT&T, so that leaves me with T-Mobile or various MVNO/prepaid carriers. The price is right, and the Nexus 4 could be a nice fit for a 3GPP based MVNO/prepaid. However, it reportedly lacks access to any RF engineering screens. That rules it out for me.

AJ

However, it reportedly lacks access to any RF engineering screens. That rules it out for me.

AJ

WHAT???? That's just stupid. YEEARGH!!! :mad:

Robert

WHAT???? That's just stupid. YEEARGH!!! :mad:

Yep, I asked Brian Klug at AnandTech last week. No dice. I was disappointed.

AJ

Hmmm. I always find it amazing how many people screw up common expressions. I usually laugh at them. I think in this instance, I am the idiot. I have often used that expression "pull the plug" in this manner. It is stuck in my mind that way, even though not proper. DOH!

Robert

I ended up ordering two (only because the checkout thing was freezing and I didn't know if my first one went through).

If you want it, let me know.

I also ordered two sims (one needs to be cut down though). I can send that along as well, I have no use for it.

• Like 2

Whew got it ordered by DDoSing google.

DDoS'd is the new "rained blows upon him."

AJ

• Like 2

Hmmm. I always find it amazing how many people screw up common expressions.

Robert

I used to have a boss that used to screw up every common expression. In his defense, he was not born in the United States...

He used to say things like:

Ain't no nothing fo free, no even lunch.

We need to literally jump through our asses on this one.

It is a big dog gentlemen, it will eat our lunch.

Then when we would laugh at his utter butchery of these common expressions, he would respond with:

You are treading the fence!

• Like 1

I ended up ordering two (only because the checkout thing was freezing and I didn't know if my first one went through).

If you want it, let me know.

I also ordered two sims (one needs to be cut down though). I can send that along as well, I have no use for it.

I picked up one at a Tmo store earlier today. Thanks for the offer.

They tried to get me to activate at the store. I explained I was doing the web only $30 per month plan with 5GB of data. They said there was no prepaid plan like that. I had to show them online. They were blown away. They were mad that they are not allowed to sell it. They said with a deal like that they cannot compete in store.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

They tried to get me to activate at the store. I explained I was doing the web only $30 per month plan with 5GB of data. They said there was no prepaid plan like that. I had to show them online. They were blown away. They were mad that they are not allowed to sell it. They said with a deal like that they cannot compete in store.

so what's the verdict on the phone???

It blows my mind how little store employees know. Not just T-Mobile, but all the carriers. When I was at ATT a few weeks ago, I asked the guy if they happened to have a demo unit of the Optimus G and he had no idea when it was even going to launch. I told him Nov 2nd because it was like publicized knowledge. And I'm always having to explain things about phone/network specifics because they just don't know.

It blows my mind how little store employees know. Not just T-Mobile, but all the carriers. When I was at ATT a few weeks ago, I asked the guy if they happened to have a demo unit of the Optimus G and he had no idea when it was even going to launch. I told him Nov 2nd because it was like publicized knowledge. And I'm always having to explain things about phone/network specifics because they just don't know.

I am not surprised. Most store employees do not eat, drink, and breathe wireless the way that many of our members do. For most store employees, it is just a job, and one that they may not particularly like. But it is a means to a paycheck.

AJ

so what's the verdict on the phone???

I ordered the phone from Google. Should be here Thursday. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I was only speaking about activating the SIM card.

One thing I was kind of blown away by the Tmo store was how it focused on a brand experience. I felt like I was in a trendy place and Tmo was the coolest club in town. You felt immersed in the brand everywhere, from the lighting to the displays. It was like I walked into a Tmo smartphone. It seemed like Carly was going to pop out of the back at any moment and everyone was going to cheer her and a round of drinks were on the house. Music would start pumping and the disco ball would drop from the ceiling.

Nothing like going to a Sprint store at all. Sprint stores are boring vanilla and very corporate feeling. I assumed all wireless carriers were that way. The Tmo store set up doesn't really appeal to me, but I can see why it would to so many. It definitely is more "cool."