Google Nexus 4 by LG

Mondays In Flames

There must be something wrong about the storage specs. To have a top end flagship phone with only 8GB and 16GB internal storage, with no MicroSD slot? That cannot be right. People are not going to buy a high end smartphone with so little storage. Makes no sense.

There must be something wrong about the storage specs. To have a top end flagship phone with only 8GB and 16GB internal storage, with no MicroSD slot? That cannot be right. People are not going to buy a high end smartphone with so little storage. Makes no sense.

Unless it sells for $300 off contract to disrupt the postpaid market.

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

There's been so may rumors that came out last week about this phone. This is the nexus I've been waiting for but I really hope its got more than 16 GB of storage, I would prefer 32. Other than that its about perfect, just hope it looks good.

Hasn't LG been trying to get into the nexus family for the last 2 or 3 iterations? Hopefully they can do better on the software end with their own devices with some nexus experience

Sent from my CM9 Galaxy S2 using Forum Runner

Am I correct that the Galaxy Nexus sold through Google's Play Store is only available in a 16GB configuration? Yet LTE carrier variants have 32. I assume that's what is going on here, for some reason people are acting like this leaked device will be the only version available.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

• Like 1

The LG Nexus was "reviewed" by a Belarusian blog. The software was buggy, and the camera's not great, but it's a pre-production model, so it should be expected. The production model should be improved.

As for the lack of storage space, there's a good chance that only the prototypes are getting such low amounts of storage since they don't need any more than that. So, hopefully, the production models will have a 32GB option.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-prototype-reviewed-unsurprisingly-found-have-software-issues

Edited by EndlessDissent

The LG Nexus was "reviewed" by a Belarusian blog. The software was buggy, and the camera's not great, but it's a pre-production model, so it should be expected. The production model should be improved.

As for the lack of storage space, there's a good chance that only the prototypes are getting such low amounts of storage since they don't need any more than that. So, hopefully, the production models will have a 32GB option.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-prototype-reviewed-unsurprisingly-found-have-software-issues

Yea, I'm really hoping they will offer 32 gb with LTE. Google couldn't be stupid enough to release a flagship nexus at the end of 2012 with no LTE. Also hoping the camera is quality... I'm not sure why they ditched the 13 mp from the Optimus g.

Yea' date=' I'm really hoping they will offer 32 gb with LTE. Google couldn't be stupid enough to release a flagship nexus at the end of 2012 with no LTE. Also hoping the camera is quality... I'm not sure why they ditched the 13 mp from the Optimus g.[/quote']

Kind of like they did with the Galaxy Nexus, where it had a lesser camera than the GS2. I thought that was a lame move.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Kind of like they did with the Galaxy Nexus, where it had a lesser camera than the GS2. I thought that was a lame move.

The cameras seem to be the lowest priority for these OEMs, especially Google since it considers the Nexii to be developers' phones, meaning they don't have to have the best hardware; they just have to showcase Android's abilities sufficiently for software development across the platform. Fortunately, the phone camera situation as a whole seems to have improved with HTC's move to make the One X camera the best on the market. Then, Samsung upped the game in the GS3 (or at least matched the One X camera; it's all subjective). Now, it's up to LG and Google to catch up to the big dogs. Eventually, if Google doesn't put a good camera in the Nexus, it will go from being a joke to being a serious point of contention for a lot of people. The mass market wants good cameras in their phones, even if the developers don't care - and heck, I'd bet a lot of developers would love a usable camera in the Nexus. Google can only benefit from improving the Nexus' camera.

The cameras seem to be the lowest priority for these OEMs, especially Google since it considers the Nexii to be developers' phones, meaning they don't have to have the best hardware; they just have to showcase Android's abilities sufficiently for software development across the platform. Fortunately, the phone camera situation as a whole seems to have improved with HTC's move to make the One X camera the best on the market. Then, Samsung upped the game in the GS3 (or at least matched the One X camera; it's all subjective). Now, it's up to LG and Google to catch up to the big dogs. Eventually, if Google doesn't put a good camera in the Nexus, it will go from being a joke to being a serious point of contention for a lot of people. The mass market wants good cameras in their phones, even if the developers don't care - and heck, I'd bet a lot of developers would love a usable camera in the Nexus. Google can only benefit from improving the Nexus' camera.

One of the reasons that Samsung and HTC and Apple have such great cameras is due to the software used to process the images. All of the software used is either proprietary or licensed from a outside source (very likely Sony due to the fact that most OEMs use Sony optics). Because the software used is not owned by the OEM or Google it can not be used in a Nexus device. If it was used in a Nexus device it would have to pushed out in the AOSP source code. I don't think any of the OEMs want to open source the secrets that make their cameras so great.

Sent via CleanROM DE using Tapatalk 2

One of the reasons that Samsung and HTC and Apple have such great cameras is due to the software used to process the images. All of the software used is either proprietary or licensed from a outside source (very likely Sony due to the fact that most OEMs use Sony optics). Because the software used is not owned by the OEM or Google it can not be used in a Nexus device. If it was used in a Nexus device it would have to pushed out in the AOSP source code. I don't think any of the OEMs want to open source the secrets that make their cameras so great.

Yeah, in the flagship phones, the software is proprietary, and I understand that they don't want their secrets in AOSP, but it's not just software that's the problem. Google didn't exactly go all out to get the best camera hardware in the Galaxy Nexus, and it shows. Even just better hardware will make a big difference. Plus, the software is almost always optimized for the hardware, so if the Nexus uses different hardware than the OEM phones, it will need its own optimized software, anyway. And are you really sure HTC, Samsung, LG, and Google would all sacrifice their integrity and brand image by crippling the camera in the Nexus just so they can keep their camera optimizations secret? Well, Samsung might, but LG can't afford that. They need to bring their A game at all levels here, and that includes the camera.

And as for the Sony camera software, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony just put all its code into AOSP eventually. There is already a push by Google and Sony to get Sony code added to AOSP. It's just a matter of time.

Yeah, in the flagship phones, the software is proprietary, and I understand that they don't want their secrets in AOSP, but it's not just software that's the problem. Google didn't exactly go all out to get the best camera hardware in the Galaxy Nexus, and it shows. Even just better hardware will make a big difference. Plus, the software is almost always optimized for the hardware, so if the Nexus uses different hardware than the OEM phones, it will need its own optimized software, anyway. And are you really sure HTC, Samsung, LG, and Google would all sacrifice their integrity and brand image by crippling the camera in the Nexus just so they can keep their camera optimizations secret? Well, Samsung might, but LG can't afford that. They need to bring their A game at all levels here, and that includes the camera.

And as for the Sony camera software, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony just put all its code into AOSP eventually. There is already a push by Google and Sony to get Sony code added to AOSP. It's just a matter of time.

Samsung has already released a Nexus with a below average camera ;)

I think Sony makes money (from HTC and Samsung) from the camera software being licensed. It wouldn't make sense to give it away to the competition for free. It would be nice, I am just not seeing it in the near future.

My hope/theory is that Google will license some software and create a Google camera app that will be bundled with the other Google apps like Gmail and the others. It would not have to be released into AOSP because it is not a part of Android but a proprietary Google app. AOSP would still keep the crap stock app. But Google certified devices (those allowed to ship with Google apps) would be allowed to install the Google camera app.

Frankly, I thought that the Nexus's 5 MP camera's photos tended to look sharper than, say, the Photon's 8, the EVO's 8, the GS2's 8...

But of course, that's all subjective.

From everything I have been hearing about the Nexus 4 not having LTE and being sold only unlocked with GSM, I might end up buying the Optimus G for Sprint off contract. I can't believe Google would take a step backwards with no LTE, when it has the capability built in (unless they actually changed out the modem for the Nexus model, but as far as I know it uses the same integrated modem as the G does). ATT prepaid is WAY too expensive considering how much data I use, and T-Mobile has atrocious coverage around my area.

I was waiting all year for this phone and it's perfect in every way except you won't be able to get it on Sprint, or even Verizon but I refuse to pay the ridiculous amount Verizon charges. If I buy the G off contract, I won't be stuck if LG keeps up its record of not updating their phones. Also I want to be able to buy a phone next year that supports all of the LTE frequencies Sprint will be utilizing for network vision (1900 mhz in addition to 800 and 2500 which no phones currently support).

Guess my decision will be made October 29th when Google officially announces the Nexus 4.

From everything I have been hearing about the Nexus 4 not having LTE and being sold only unlocked with GSM, I might end up buying the Optimus G for Sprint off contract. I can't believe Google would take a step backwards with no LTE, when it has the capability built in (unless they actually changed out the modem for the Nexus model, but as far as I know it uses the same integrated modem as the G does). ATT prepaid is WAY too expensive considering how much data I use, and T-Mobile has atrocious coverage around my area.

I was waiting all year for this phone and it's perfect in every way except you won't be able to get it on Sprint, or even Verizon but I refuse to pay the ridiculous amount Verizon charges. If I buy the G off contract, I won't be stuck if LG keeps up its record of not updating their phones. Also I want to be able to buy a phone next year that supports all of the LTE frequencies Sprint will be utilizing for network vision (1900 mhz in addition to 800 and 2500 which no phones currently support).

Guess my decision will be made October 29th when Google officially announces the Nexus 4.

The current Google Nexus doesn't have LTE.

There will most certainly still be carrier subsidized models that run on the carrier's LTE network.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Frankly, I thought that the Nexus's 5 MP camera's photos tended to look sharper than, say, the Photon's 8, the EVO's 8, the GS2's 8...

But of course, that's all subjective.

Having gone from the E4GT to the GNex, I would say that the picture quality was slightly better on the E4GT, but the Nexus DESTROYED the E4GT overall with the zero shutter lag. Low light situations were all E4GT though, it was not even close.

Personally, I would rather see the manufacturers do more with a lower megapixel than keep slaming higher and higher megapixel cameras in phones. I really don't need to blow up the stupid pictures I usually take with my phone and print them as a poster.

The current Google Nexus doesn't have LTE.

There will most certainly still be carrier subsidized models that run on the carrier's LTE network.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The unlocked version doesn't, but they still offer a CDMA/LTE variant for Sprint/Verizon. I hope you're right though. Nearly everything has been leaked about the Nexus 4 and I haven't heard a peep about LTE, in fact I've heard the opposite in that it won't have LTE. Android and Me has been pretty spot on with all of their information so far. Also the Nexus 4 supposedly went through the FCC already, with GSM bands but no LTE. But I know nothing is certain until Google announces it officially.

No matter what happens, I am 100% sure Google wouldn't announce a phone in today's society without LTE. That would be such a disappointment. Only problem for me is, is that every lg phone I've owned had serious problems.

No matter what happens' date=' I am 100% sure Google wouldn't announce a phone in today's society without LTE. That would be such a disappointment. Only problem for me is, is that every lg phone I've owned had serious problems.[/quote']

I'm no LG cheerleader, but my LG Viper has been pretty solid. Except for some strange reason the 1x signal is usually 10dBm weaker than EVDO. Even in a remote location, with only one site for miles and I am standing next to it. Wait...maybe my Viper hasn't been so solid? :P

• Like 1

My LG Xenon from at&t in 2009 was a decent phone except for the slowdown in the touchscreen response. Unfortunately, LG never fixed it. It was the first LG phone I owned. The 2nd one I got was the LG Neon, and let a friend of a friend use it. He never had any trouble with it. Then I got the Viper and after 2, I won't go back to an LG ever again.

I'm no LG cheerleader, but my LG Viper has been pretty solid. Except for some strange reason the 1x signal is usually 10dBm weaker than EVDO. Even in a remote location, with only one site for miles and I am standing next to it. Wait...maybe my Viper hasn't been so solid? :P

Sometimes my 1x signal is as high as 30dBm weaker than my EVDO signal. In Bakersfield yesterday, 1x peaked at almost 30dBm weaker.