Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

In the ABQ market playbook, it was always labeled "Ground Mount RRU, No 800" for my site, long before S4GRU was a going concern. So I'm chucking it all up to coincidence.

My site is pretty unimportant, all things considered. For me, it's just the convenience of LTE testing. It's not like I need LTE in my home. However, I am concerned about the significant amount of Ground Based RRU's in New Mexico. If all these sites do not get LTE, then that is problematic for Sprint. Especially since Verizon does have their LTE panels on all these sites where they are colocated. Including the one looming over my head.

Robert

Any reason why they are ground mounting the RUU vs. just going with cabinet based radios like Verizon? Also, if you are ground mounting RUUs, why not just mount one more and run the cable for ESMR as well?

In rural locations, it seems like the benefit of ESMR would be the highest.

I mean, the low utilization of the more rural sites must just not justify the large capex associated with deploying ESMR?

Anywho, that's my guess. I am sure sprint calculated the usage on the tower and can't justify spending the amount of money on the site relative to its utilization.

Any reason why they are ground mounting the RUU vs. just going with cabinet based radios like Verizon? Also, if you are ground mounting RUUs, why not just mount one more and run the cable for ESMR as well?

In rural locations, it seems like the benefit of ESMR would be the highest.

I mean, the low utilization of the more rural sites must just not justify the large capex associated with deploying ESMR?

Anywho, that's my guess. I am sure sprint calculated the usage on the tower and can't justify spending the amount of money on the site relative to its utilization.

I hope you are right with the calculated risk. It will be very disappointing if there are many more sites in nm that don't receive lte.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

In the ABQ market playbook, it was always labeled "Ground Mount RRU, No 800" for my site, long before S4GRU was a going concern. So I'm chucking it all up to coincidence.

My site is pretty unimportant, all things considered. For me, it's just the convenience of LTE testing. It's not like I need LTE in my home. However, I am concerned about the significant amount of Ground Based RRU's in New Mexico. If all these sites do not get LTE, then that is problematic for Sprint. Especially since Verizon does have their LTE panels on all these sites where they are colocated. Including the one looming over my head.

Robert

I am also very concerned that Sprint would still use legacy antennas even if it wasn't deploying LTE. I would still think even if they are just deploying just CDMA 1900 that they would want to use the NV antennas since I am sure there are improvements in tilt and capacity that legacy antennas do not provide. Who knows if in the future the opportunity can present where they can add LTE to this site. For gosh sake's the new NV antennas is capable of 800 and 1900 MHz support while the legacy antennas only support 1900 MHz. I assume its a cost savings issue but I still think its worth the investment in the long term. I can't imagine using legacy antennas for the next decade *shivers*

Personally I think Sprint needs to get rid of every single legacy antenna, cabinet, radios, backhaul, etc as if its building an entire cellular network from the ground up.

Just drove past the tower in eubank in between comanche and Montgomery and there was a work van in front of the tower with the gate open. Hopefully I can go back today or tomorrow to snoop around.

• Like 3

Just drove past the tower in eubank in between comanche and Montgomery and there was a work van in front of the tower with the gate open. Hopefully I can go back today or tomorrow to snoop around.

the tower is EP03AL042 if anyone is curious.

the tower is EP03AL042 if anyone is curious.

I just checked that one. It is shown as a Stealth site, but not listed as Ground Mount RRU's. So that's good news for you.

Robert

I just checked that one. It is shown as a Stealth site, but not listed as Ground Mount RRU's. So that's good news for you.

Robert

haha stealth site, the one I saw was clear as day regular tower.

Robert

do you know approximately how many ground mounted towers there will be in abq?

I'll take a few moments and make a market map showing them all for our reference.

Robert

• Like 1

This is an interesting question. I am wondering as well. I was really looking forward to SMR800 in ABQ especially in Rio Rancho.

Since these are the sites that have started here in the North, these are the ones also most likely to start around ABQ, too. I see the one in Rio Rancho way out near the end of Unser at US 550 is a ground mount.

Robert

I'm going to be out in Cuba on Tuesday. I will swing by and check that lone site out there slated to be Ground Mount.

Robert

I'm going to be out in Cuba on Tuesday. I will swing by and check that lone site out there slated to be Ground Mount.

Robert

That is so weird that there are so many ground mounts, do other markets have similar trends?

That is so weird that there are so many ground mounts, do other markets have similar trends?

I've not done an exhaustive review of other markets, but in my general observations I would say no. For instance, the Kansas market has less than five. And the Kansas market has double the sites of ABQ. The ABQ market has 58 ground mount sites. Almost 20% of all sites in the market. The sites with No 800 are all within the 75 mile international boundary and subject to our agreement with Mexico.

I can tell you based on my observations of the Ground Mount sites here in the Los Alamos/Espanola/Santa Fe area, only the Santa Fe Opera, First Baptist Church and the Campground sites cannot support normal mounted RRU's. And the three sites that cannot, are within 30' of the ground and they can be mounted pretty darn close to the panels. In my opinion, they all could support LTE RRU's, if Sprint wanted them to.

Robert

I've not done an exhaustive review of other markets, but in my general observations I would say no. For instance, the Kansas market has less than five. And the Kansas market has double the sites of ABQ. The ABQ market has 58 ground mount sites. Almost 20% of all sites in the market. The sites with No 800 are all within the 75 mile international boundary and subject to our agreement with Mexico.

I can tell you based on my observations of the Ground Mount sites here in the Los Alamos/Espanola/Santa Fe area, only the Santa Fe Opera, First Baptist Church and the Campground sites cannot support normal mounted RRU's. And the three sites that cannot, are within 30' of the ground and they can be mounted pretty darn close to the panels. In my opinion, they all could support LTE RRU's, if Sprint wanted them to.

Robert

You should contact them with your findings/suggestions ;) Thanks for the map! So basically, the no 800 sites are tower mounted rrus but just can't have 800 because of the international laws you mentioned?

You should contact them with your findings/suggestions ;) Thanks for the map! So basically, the no 800 sites are tower mounted rrus but just can't have 800 because of the international laws you mentioned?

Yes, that's correct. But Sprint and the Feds are working with Mexico and Canada to allow them to deploy some 800MHz service in those areas.

Robert

Yes, that's correct. But Sprint and the Feds are working with Mexico and Canada to allow them to deploy some 800MHz service in those areas.

Robert

Thanks for the map. This will help me get to eye the ones that might get work done first.

Also the sites along I25 and I40 really don't need 800. I drive I40 (E and W) for work and I really don't have a problem roaming (only spot I roam is before continental divide for some reason).

With all this being said, it still concerns me that the ABQ market may not see 800.

Thanks for the map. This will help me get to eye the ones that might get work done first.

Also the sites along I25 and I40 really don't need 800. I drive I40 (E and W) for work and I really don't have a problem roaming (only spot I roam is before continental divide for some reason).

With all this being said, it still concerns me that the ABQ market may not see 800.

Really? I drop to one and zero bars, or roam short distance on I-40 East between sites. Especially past Santa Rosa. I think this is a prime area for 800MHz deployment. And service in Tucumcari is especially poor.

Robert

Really? I drop to one and zero bars, or roam short distance on I-40 East between sites. Especially past Santa Rosa. I think this is a prime area for 800MHz deployment. And service in Tucumcari is especially poor.

Yep, if I-40E to the Texas state line is going to be without SMR 800 MHz, Sprint might as well skip LTE 1900 on those sites, too. The Alamosa legacy CDMA1X 1900 coverage on that route is already stretched incredibly thin. LTE 1900 coverage would be like a series of hotspots along the Interstate.

AJ

Robert

I don't got out past Santa Rosa ever. I did when I was traveling to school but I didn't have a smart phone then. I am curious now.

Yep, if I-40E to the Texas state line is going to be without SMR 800 MHz, Sprint might as well skip LTE 1900 on those sites, too. The Alamosa legacy CDMA1X 1900 coverage on that route is already stretched incredibly thin. LTE 1900 coverage would be like a series of hotspots along the Interstate.

AJ

just does not make sense to have all these ground mounted areas. Seems every tower all the way to cruces along the highway is.