Someone else texting from my GV number

SpenceSouth

Thought maybe one of you guys on here could help with this.... And before you read on NO JOKE, this seriously happened.

Today I was texting some guy on Craigslist about trading for an Amaze 4G (not for me). Well to my amazement (pun intended) someone else started texting him from my own Google Voice account. Now I have no idea how this could have happened. All phones that I have GV installed on are accounted for and according to Google, my account has not been accessed at any other location.

How the hell could this have happened, and how can I find out who the person is that is using my number? (For the record whoever is using it doesn't seem to have any idea that I'm having a conversation with someone else)

Any ideas guys?

2012-10-04 21.23.png

2012-10-04 21.27.png

Holy crap. That is awkward and creepy. I have never heard of this or seen this happen before. Wow.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Contact google voice (if you can...google support is not the best) Sounds like they have things crossed somewhere and the other guy texting is merely receiving the texts sent to your number and responding.

Also check the settings in the web version on google voice and make sure no new numbers have been mysteriously added. Somewhere some wires have gotten crossed.

How the hell could this have happened, and how can I find out who the person is that is using my number? (For the record whoever is using it doesn't seem to have any idea that I'm having a conversation with someone else)

Have you checked with your other split personalities, ScottSouth, SarahSouth, and MohammadSouth?

AJ

You said all phones are accounted for? What about all computers? Do you have 2 step verification on

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

According to Google my account hasn't been accessed on any other computers other then my own, so I'm going to assume they weren't accessing it through a computer.

Have you checked with your other split personalities, ScottSouth, SarahSouth, and MohammadSouth?

AJ

Never met them :P

Contact google voice (if you can...google support is not the best) Sounds like they have things crossed somewhere and the other guy texting is merely receiving the texts sent to your number and responding.

Also check the settings in the web version on google voice and make sure no new numbers have been mysteriously added. Somewhere some wires have gotten crossed.

Just checked and there was a number added to my account I didn't recognize and Google was forwarding my text to them. No idea how it got there, but I just deleted it so hopefully this is the last of this problem. Thanks a lot for the tip. I was so flustered last night after this happened that I couldn't think straight about how to figure this out.

It was creepy as hell to say the least.

• Like 1