Sensorly - New market deployements

I work for DirecTV so I travel all day everyday. A lot of the sensorly data for the Joliet, Bolingbrook,romeoville, Illinois areas are me I try to use it all day since my phone is on the charger allday

Good job!

• Like 1

Has anyone draw a smiley face or write some word on the map? It would be a neat thing to do.

Write something? Maybe like this?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cold-opening/1356709/

AJ

• Like 1

haha .. Why OJ wear a glove doing interview?

Did you watch any TV in 1994-1995?

AJ

• Like 1

No. I did remember Howie Korsel. I dont see the clip of drawing on Sesnorly.

Did you watch the entire clip?

95boj2.jpg

AJ (not OJ)

• Like 3

I didnt. Oh. hahaha That is funny.

If you all write something like on Sensory, please share.

If I can find a field where nobody can get to it, then my track will stick forever.

Maybe I do at Area 41.

Edited by chong67

Ive noticed it usually updates within minutes

What I thought was interesting was one time, a couple weeks ago, when I mapped a trip home from work. Most of the trip data showed up within a few minutes, maybe an hour or so, but there was an entire section from the end of the trip that wasn't updated. I checked it for a couple days, but it didn't get updated, and I forgot about it. A couple days ago, I looked at the coverage map again, and the final part of my trip had been added to the map. It's weird that only part of the trip update was delayed.

Edited by EndlessDissent
  • Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of positive responses & feedback. Thanks !

The maps update super super fast at the moment (like in minutes at all zoom levels). So if data is not visible with 24 hours there's either something wrong or the app isn't giving enough feedback about what's going on.

For example : depending on the version, Galaxy S2 phones will or will not provide usable data. The latest release should make it usable on more version but still... The worst phone is the Galaxy Note which doesn't work at all in Europe but seems to work in it's AT&T avatar.

AT the moment, data is added to the map when your phone is connected to that network because the phone reports LTE as its "telephony network" so we don't know if it's connected to EVDO or 1x..

I added the thread to the market section because I posted market info :)

It's still a little tough to add features fast to the app because of lack of time... be a little patient :)

What I thought was interesting was one time, a couple weeks ago, when I mapped a trip home from work. Most of the trip data showed up within a few minutes, maybe an hour or so, but there was an entire section from the end of the trip that wasn't updated. I checked it for a couple days, but it didn't get updated, and I forgot about it. A couple days ago, I looked at the coverage map again, and the final part of my trip had been added to the map. It's weird that only part of the trip update was delayed.

It's actually pretty hard to do a algorithm that's both very fast and "consistent" in terms of data. Plus there's a little weird bug creeping in the update process that we haven't figured out yet that's delaying some updates to when someone else goes in the same place. We'll get it fixed eventually.

• Like 1

It's actually pretty hard to do a algorithm that's both very fast and "consistent" in terms of data.

No doubt. I learned enough computer science in high school to know that algorithms and programming in general aren't easy, and bugs happen. It wasn't a criticism, just a little oddity I noticed. I had been expecting that the whole trip would update at the same time; I was just wrong.

Quote deleted.

Sensorly's LTE coverage maps are down for all American carriers this morning (including Sprint). WiMax and 2G/3G seem to be working fine. Will this be fixed today?

Robert

BTW, thanks to Sensorly for adding descriptions ("2G-3G", "WIMAX", and "LTE") to the 3 Sprint items in the coverage map list. This makes it much more convenient to find the LTE map.

• Like 7

What happens when users report new data?

IE: Say an area on sensorly says there is wimax, because in 2010, a phone found wimax there.

But then say the tower is broken and clear wont fix it, so when a new user goes by, it reports no signal.

At any point, does the new data replace the old?

Has anyone noticed the new Sensorly coverage map online today? I just noticed it this morning. Instead of just mapping the simple blobs for coverage, there now is shading that purports to distinguish signal strength: The legend says:

Color intensity indicates the expected level of the signal received by the phone: very dark for 5 bars, very bright for 1 bar

Leaving aside the reference to "bars," which I know will not relate to user's experience on my own phone, I didn't think the Sensorly app even collected signal strength. I thought it just harvested a binary Yes/No value for when a certain type of data connection was present.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed the new Sensorly coverage map online today? I just noticed it this morning. Instead of just mapping the simple blobs for coverage, there now is shading that purports to distinguish signal strength: The legend says:

Leaving aside the reference to "bars," which I know will not relate to user's experience on my own phone, I didn't think the Sensorly app even collected signal strength. I thought it just harvested a binary Yes/No value for when a certain type of data connection was present.

It's always said

Color intensity indicates the expected level of the signal received by the phone: very dark for 5 bars, very bright for 1 bar

But it didn't apply for LTE because the signal strength can't be reliably collected. I'm wondering if something just went wrong? It's made it incredibly hard to read. I did notice something weird in Chicago....

10-8-20129-58-28AM.png

It's always said

But it didn't apply for LTE because the signal strength can't be reliably collected. I'm wondering if something just went wrong? It's made it incredibly hard to read. I did notice something weird in Chicago....

I never noticed the legend before. What I first noticed was the map itself and its differentiated coloring. I never knew that they were even collecting signal strength data. I wish this data were made available to the Sensorly user locally so we would know.

I never noticed the legend before. What I first noticed was the map itself and its differentiated coloring. I never knew that they were even collecting signal strength data. I wish this data were made available to the Sensorly user locally so we would know.

Sensorly collects signal strength on 2G/3G connections. That's been available the whole time. I thought it stated that on the app?