Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

is there a tutorial for sensorly? I don't quite understand the correlation between signal strength and throughput.

I was at Sherwood and coursey last night. 2 speed tests, both less than 1m down, AGAIN.

serving cell - 419

rsrp - 119

so that's 6 sites I've tested in a week that are getting less than 1m down.

that's what I don't understand about sensorly. it shows a decent signal strength right at walkon's, where I was at.

also, I was at millerville and the interstate (south side) getting 3g when sensorly shows that area is lte.

that's what I don't understand about sensorly. it shows a decent signal strength right at walkon's, where I was at.

also, I was at millerville and the interstate (south side) getting 3g when sensorly shows that area is lte.

Make sure you are on the Sprint 4G map and stick to the two darkest purple shades as strong signals. 

Closing out the year... 

In Progress    3
Legacy    27

Decommissioned    2

3G    8
3G/4G    177
3G/800    1 (800mhz blocked)
3G/800/4G    14 (800mhz blocked)
4G    114

Completion Estimates based on December 2013 install/upgrade rates:

RRU Install    6/13/2014
3G Accepted    6/6/2053
4G Accepted    8/24/2014
1x800 Accepted    10/23/2103

I was at a site that had "3 bars" according to the sensorly signal strength.

I'm still looking for an answer the question of how sensorly signal strength correlates to data throughput. I see decent speeds around town on the maps but, when I run speedtests, I'm getting less than 1m down almost every time on a brand new gs4.

I was at a site that had "3 bars" according to the sensorly signal strength.

I'm still looking for an answer the question of how sensorly signal strength correlates to data throughput. I see decent speeds around town on the maps but, when I run speedtests, I'm getting less than 1m down almost every time on a brand new gs4.

I would go by your own signal strength and not Sensorly.

I know I am posting this in the New Orleans market...but...maybe you guys can answer a question I have.  I was reading back in your posts about WiMax and it got me thinking.  Where I live there is one protection site that was added which sits in the middle of town and has been avoided with NV upgrades, is this because it has the WiMax equipment?  And will the Sprint Spark sites get 1900 LTE as well?

I know I am posting this in the New Orleans market...but...maybe you guys can answer a question I have. I was reading back in your posts about WiMax and it got me thinking. Where I live there is one protection site that was added which sits in the middle of town and has been avoided with NV upgrades, is this because it has the WiMax equipment? And will the Sprint Spark sites get 1900 LTE as well?

I doubt that is the reason it was skipped. No idea on the 2.6 question as the site spacing really isn't there for us on 1.9 sites. Since work has almost stopped in the market in the past few months we are still looking at the 1.9 LTE rollout and hoping the 1x800 rollout starts soon. 2.6 just seems to far off to worry about at this point.

I doubt that is the reason it was skipped. No idea on the 2.6 question as the site spacing really isn't there for us on 1.9 sites. Since work has almost stopped in the market in the past few months we are still looking at the 1.9 LTE rollout and hoping the 1x800 rollout starts soon. 2.6 just seems to far off to worry about at this point.

Hmm...wonder why it was skipped.  The WiMax site is co-located with Sprint's 1x and 3G EVDO equipment, curious if they would NV this site and add 1900 LTE tor wait until contractors install Spark equipment.  One thing I notice about Ericsson around here anyway, they seem to avoid the sites that cover downtown districts.  If you look at the Nashville market map, preferably Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol you can see where sites are missing from the NV sites completed.  Have you seen this down your way, since Ericsson is your vendor as well?

Hmm...wonder why it was skipped. The WiMax site is co-located with Sprint's 1x and 3G EVDO equipment, curious if they would NV this site and add 1900 LTE tor wait until contractors install Spark equipment. One thing I notice about Ericsson around here anyway, they seem to avoid the sites that cover downtown districts. If you look at the Nashville market map, preferably Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol you can see where sites are missing from the NV sites completed. Have you seen this down your way, since Ericsson is your vendor as well?

Absolutely, the downtown area is the least worked on and most sparse NV area in the market. At least this is true for New Orleans. I think the Baton Rouge crew would agree also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me why work here has slowed down so much?

No one knows. I am guessing there was some subcontractor firings or personnel relocations going on due to the rather abrupt change in work pace. All I can find are VZW and AT&T crews building new sites or doing their 2nd LTE rollout around town lately. Been many months since I have seen a work crew for Sprint.

No one knows. I am guessing there was some subcontractor firings or personnel relocations going on due to the rather abrupt change in work pace. All I can find are VZW and AT&T crews building new sites or doing their 2nd LTE rollout around town lately. Been many months since I have seen a work crew for Sprint.

Do you think work will pick back up and get back to normal?

Edited by teamgs3

Do you think work will pick back up and get back to normal?

I did spot some workers at a tower near my home a couple days ago. It is the first activity at a known Sprint site in a long time.

So maybe a crew is sniffing around doing something. Maybe not. We shall see.

They wont. I live by a protection site co-located with sprint 4g lte only and they left wimax un touched.

Hmm...wonder why it was skipped. The WiMax site is co-located with Sprint's 1x and 3G EVDO equipment, curious if they would NV this site and add 1900 LTE tor wait until contractors install Spark equipment. One thing I notice about Ericsson around here anyway, they seem to avoid the sites that cover downtown districts. If you look at the Nashville market map, preferably Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol you can see where sites are missing from the NV sites completed. Have you seen this down your way, since Ericsson is your vendor as well?

Absolutely, the downtown area is the least worked on and most sparse NV area in the market. At least this is true for New Orleans. I think the Baton Rouge crew would agree also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

On the fixed wireline broadband side of the house, there are many FCC initiatives for providers to start with rural areas, it turns into priority deployments, I wonder if it is the same on the wireless side. Here in NC, I noted that a drive through the country yielded LTE service, where some of the higher population areas barely had 3G

• 3 weeks later...

Status update for the New Orleans market January 2014:

Known RRU/Cabinet installs: 1

4G acceptances: 3

3G acceptances (adds to existing 4G only sites): 17

1x800 acceptances: 0

Completion Estimations based on Jan-2014 completion rates:

RRU Install - 4/17/2016
3G Accepted - 9/20/2014
4G Accepted - 2/8/2015
1x800 Accepted - 3/1/2104

Does anyone know why it seems like 3g is getting more work than lte right now, shouldn't have 3g been like that in the beginning?

Just the way Ericsson does things. Do the 4g one day, come back later and do the 3g another, then roll back and do the 800 stuff later.

Better than nothing as we haven't really seen them installing new cabinets or other upgrades of legacy. They have quite a few 4g only sites to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Status update for the New Orleans market Feb 2014:

Known RRU/Cabinet installs: 1
4G acceptances: 3
3G acceptances (majority are adds to existing 4G only sites): 41
1x800 acceptances: 0

Completion Estimations based on Feb-2014 completion rates:

RRUs Installed - 1/30/2016
3G Accepted - 4/28/2014
4G Accepted - 1/3/2015
1x800 Accepted - 7/7/2104

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone having issues with LTE? I work out in belle chasse and it does not connect anymore near Engineers Road. I also carpool to work and on the way to work I noticed I was not getting any LTE on the I-10 to New Orleans.  I called Sprint yesterday and she mentioned they were upgrading towers in my area, but I  am sure it can't be every tower.  Even did a hard reset and still having LTE trouble.