Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

Whats the difference on how far EVDO can go compared to LTE? Is it almost the same or is there a big noticeable difference.

What's the location? where is the phone? what kind of phone? how is it being held? How's the weather? What angle is the site to the location? what's the downtilt on the antenna? how's the noise level? which was the wind blowing? what's the barometric pressure? is the user male or female? what is their sexual preference? how old are they?

• Like 1

What's the location? where is the phone? what kind of phone? how is it being held? How's the weather? What angle is the site to the location? what's the downtilt on the antenna? how's the noise level? which was the wind blowing? what's the barometric pressure? is the user male or female? what is their sexual preference? how old are they?

Im guessing ur trying to tell me there is no approximate average, i was look for something like EXAMPLE (EVDO can go a mile LTE can go 1/2 of a mile)

Im guessing ur trying to tell me there is no approximate average, i was look for something like EXAMPLE (EVDO can go a mile LTE can go 1/2 of a mile)

What he's saying is that range is affected by multitudes of different factors depending on the users receiving device (phone), setup of the tower in terms of downtilt and how high up its placed, and environmental things such as topography.

Each site is engineered for special purpose and no two sites are ever identical so estimating a range of a cell site is impossible.

Because the LTE signal is more fragile and cannot push data on a weak signal like EVDO can.

The LTE signal and EVDO signal strength should be the roughly the same at the same distance from the tower (if you are measuring both in RSSI).

However, LTE will stop being effective around -95dBm and EVDO will be able to work until approximately -105dBm. So if you are standing in a place with a -100dBm EVDO signal, you would also have a -100dBm LTE signal. But your device will probably not show LTE in your signal indicator because it cannot connect and be useful at that strength.

Does that make sense?

With LTE 800, the -95dBm threshold will be farther out from the site than LTE 1900, giving more coverage.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I've seen it written somewhere that the maximum anticipated NV gain ever to be experienced in ideal situations is 3dBm over legacy 1x/EVDO to NV 1x/EVDO. Since the maximum threshold between LTE and EVDO is approximately 10dBm (between -95dBm and -105dBm RSSI), this will be far different than the maximum 3dBm difference between legacy and NV. So, therefore, we can anticipate LTE 1900 should offer less coverage than legacy EVDO. If you use Cloud RF to model the difference, in an ideal flat area, you get about a one mile difference on a 300' boomer with no downtilt.

So I think LTE 1900 coverage should be quite good in most urban/suburban locations, except in those places with poor site spacing (like Baton Rouge). But tertiary and rural markets will look like LTE swiss cheese until LTE 800 arrives toward the end of 2013.

I appreciate your offer of being a S4GRU guinea pig.

Robert

I kind of didnt know how to ask they question but this is the answer i was looking for.
  • Like 1

Anyone hear anything about sites in Lafayette going live? I have seen some workers at a couple of towers. And really fast 3g speeds in outlying areas like Opelousas where LTE panels are already deployed.

Yes, we have several listed on the map in the Sponsor section. I wouldn't call them LTE panels but more of Network Vision panels.

Sent from my little Note2

dont know what site is coming from I got the signal at Harrison ave. and wisner blvr. Seems too far to be from that site

No, we have confirmed that that cell ID is N Broad @ Columbus. At -107Dbm you didn't have a great signal and it is traveling across the Fairgrounds and City Park which is a lot of empty air.

• Like 1

No, we have confirmed that that cell ID is N Broad @ Columbus. At -107Dbm you didn't have a great signal and it is traveling across the Fairgrounds and City Park which is a lot of empty air.

Also to double confirm, if you take the decimal cell identity of 94427137 and convert it to hex you get 5A0D801. Drop the sector ID to 5A0D8xx. Cross reference the spreadsheet and that's the N Broad @ Columbus site all day long. That hex address is unique in Sprint's entire network. Plus that's only 1.59 miles away... you guys are spoiled with the close tower spacing ;)

Also to double confirm, if you take the decimal cell identity of 94427137 and convert it to hex you get 5A0D801. Drop the sector ID to 5A0D8xx. Cross reference the spreadsheet and that's the N Broad @ Columbus site all day long. That hex address is unique in Sprint's entire network. Plus that's only 1.59 miles away... you guys are spoiled with the close tower spacing ;)

Beyond spoiled. I just sat in traffic on the interstate right next to Orleans Parish Prison and watched my phone on the Engineering screen bounce around connecting to 4 different towers. All after driving up Airline and watching the hand off from 3 towers. Then I get home and run a Speed Test from my couch and the LaSalle tower is booming. I am the Richie Rich of spoiled today.

Beyond spoiled. I just sat in traffic on the interstate right next to Orleans Parish Prison and watched my phone on the Engineering screen bounce around connecting to 4 different towers. All after driving up Airline and watching the hand off from 3 towers. Then I get home and run a Speed Test from my couch and the LaSalle tower is booming. I am the Richie Rich of spoiled today.

I hope jmuskratt doesn't know where you live ;)

I hope jmuskratt doesn't know where you live ;)

He absolutely does but we are on the same trivia team AND I just gave him a motherboard to build his new rig so I am safe from his ire....for now.

No problem. I post everywhere.

And by the way.. That is called Sensorly pollution. Glad you are not in New Orleans doing that to us.

Sent from my little Note2

Was it a false connection? I will try to check again tomorrow, maybe with a TW rom too.

Has this happened to you before?

Edited by lynyrd65