Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

Quick question. I know that I have screwed with the sensorly data a little bit. My Galaxy s3 has picked up a lte signal both in Lakeview and in the CBD but have never been able to get data at either location. In fact I have two other coworkers that have been picking up an lte signal in our building right off St Charles and Poydras for weeks but we get no data transfer. We have all turned off the lte signals at this point to force CDMA signals. Signalchecker lite is showing a medium signal strength on lte. Any suggestions or theories. Thanks.

Quick question. I know that I have screwed with the sensorly data a little bit. My Galaxy s3 has picked up a lte signal both in Lakeview and in the CBD but have never been able to get data at either location. In fact I have two other coworkers that have been picking up an lte signal in our building right off St Charles and Poydras for weeks but we get no data transfer. We have all turned off the lte signals at this point to force CDMA signals. Signalchecker lite is showing a medium signal strength on lte. Any suggestions or theories. Thanks.

Post some screenshots of the LTE Engineering screens and we can tell you what's going on and where. Look on my signature if you need help on the engineering screens.

Sent from my little Note2

That's the Tchoup @ Soraparu St site you've been hearing chatter about. -102 signal should be usable with no issues if of course the tower is not having data issues itself. We track all of the sites in a spreadsheet in the sponsor area along with all the site IDs so you can identify which site you are connecting to by the Serving Cell ID number.

It's easy to become a sponsor and helps to keep the lights on at this great place plus you get access to lots of valuable information. Links in my signature.

Welcome to the site!

That's the Tchoup @ Soraparu St site you've been hearing chatter about. -102 signal should be usable with no issues if of course the tower is not having data issues itself. We track all of the sites in a spreadsheet in the sponsor area along with all the site IDs so you can identify which site you are connecting to by the Serving Cell ID number.

It's easy to become a sponsor and helps to keep the lights on at this great place plus you get access to lots of valuable information. Links in my signature.

Welcome to the site!

I don't know if it was me being too close to the site... Right under it actually, but when I was under it with my signal in the high - 60s, I was getting borderline 1 mb speeds download and under a meg upload. Ping was also varying between 100 to 400 ms.

Hopefully the spotty data we've been seeing is a symptom of the unofficial nature of the rollout, and that it will be regularized by the time they make it official. I hope. Oh, Jebus, I hope.

That said, as long as I get a good signal in DC, it's consistently 20+ Mbps down, and that was before the official launch.

• Like 1

Hey guys, showing 4g at my house but getting .01-.05 mb/s and is pretty much unusable. Anything stand out on this screenshot? Located on W Metairie and Transcontinental area.

post-9726-0-96340100-1363048567_thumb.png

Edited by geaux

Not a real strong signal at -102 dBm so data speeds will be slow but I don't think we have gotten a serving cell of 99 yet. Maybe the tower at Clear view and West Metairie went live? Or that could be coming from the tower at Dickory and Earhart. I think we have only gotten the Hex of that one.

-102dBm RSRP is a good mid range signal. I have hit 20Mbps+ with that strength of signal on a well functioning site with little noise.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

-102dBm RSRP is a good mid range signal. I have hit 20Mbps+ with that strength of signal on a well functioning site with little noise.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

You think the low speeds are because we are not officially launched?

The highest I've gotten was about 19mbps and that was right by the tower, in Port Sulphur none the less <_<

Any place else I'm lucky to get up to 13-15 mb

You think the low speeds are because we are not officially launched?

The highest I've gotten was about 19mbps and that was right by the tower, in Port Sulphur none the less <_<

Any place else I'm lucky to get up to 13-15 mb

It's not because the market isn't launched. There has to be a specific problem with the site that is probably still being worked through. And they are probably not in any hurry to fix it because the area is still in prelaunch status.

If you are maxing out at 19Mbps at sites that are completely unburdened (like Port Sulphur), then I guess the backhaul being used there is not any faster than 20-25Mbps.

I encounter this all the time with Verizon. Some rural and unburdened sites max out at 20Mbps, even at 3 AM. Whereas some urban sites can be 30-45Mbps even at peak times. The backhaul being implemented at each site can be vastly different. I'm sure Sprint is the same as Verizon in that regard.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

So does this happen often and is it a big problem?

So many things were discussed, I'm not sure I understand to what your question is pointed.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Taking a look at Sensorly... I see from my place of work on Engineers road in Belle Chasse all the way up Belle Chasse Highway , up Terry, all the way on the CCC to the dome and getting off to Elysian Fields, there is a 4g lte signal . I was wondering if anyone could get me a screen shot of a speed test on the I -10 headed to New Orleans ?

Taking a look at Sensorly... I see from my place of work on Engineers road in Belle Chasse all the way up Belle Chasse Highway , up Terry, all the way on the CCC to the dome and getting off to Elysian Fields, there is a 4g lte signal . I was wondering if anyone could get me a screen shot of a speed test on the I -10 headed to New Orleans ?

Speedtests are really irrelevant at this point unless there is an issue with the site itself. Each sector is going to be able to put out 37 megabits or so with the best signal. As signal degrades so does the speed. But I found even the worse LTE signal is better than the best EVDO 3G signal speeds/latency.

Only time I see speedtests as needed is during the time a site is being confirmed/troubleshot. Drive up to the site..speedtest. 20 megabit or more. Good to go.

I understand man. Just noticed it and since i currently do not have an LTE device yet so i can't join in the fun

The NYC thread has plenty of speedtests over and over and over and over and....

Sent from my little Note2

It's not because the market isn't launched. There has to be a specific problem with the site that is probably still being worked through. And they are probably not in any hurry to fix it because the area is still in prelaunch status.

If you are maxing out at 19Mbps at sites that are completely unburdened (like Port Sulphur), then I guess the backhaul being used there is not any faster than 20-25Mbps.

I encounter this all the time with Verizon. Some rural and unburdened sites max out at 20Mbps, even at 3 AM. Whereas some urban sites can be 30-45Mbps even at peak times. The backhaul being implemented at each site can be vastly different. I'm sure Sprint is the same as Verizon in that regard.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Well that is interesting to know...

Not that I am complaining at all, I'm glad even when I get a weak signal that only gives me a 1 MB download I'm happy, because just like digi just said a couple post up, it is way better than the 3g speed I was getting.

So does LTE have a longer range than the 3g? It would be nice to see a better connection when I'm at my dads house in Lafitte. lol

So does LTE have a longer range than the 3g?

All things being equal in the way they're deployed...no. EVDO has longer range.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Speaking of signal range...we have had a few days of abnormally low humidity for this area. This dry air is allowing LTE signals to travel further than they do when the humidity is higher. I have been picking up towers I have never picked up before at some rather long distances.

At least this is my theory as to why I have been picking up all of these serving cells I have never seen before. I think higher humidity degrades the signal and causes shorter signal ranges as a result.

This may be well known within the industry but I have never heard it before...and I could be completely wrong as well.

• Like 1

Speaking of signal range...we have had a few days of abnormally low humidity for this area. This dry air is allowing LTE signals to travel further than they do when the humidity is higher. I have been picking up towers I have never picked up before at some rather long distances.

At least this is my theory as to why I have been picking up all of these serving cells I have never seen before. I think higher humidity degrades the signal and causes shorter signal ranges as a result.

This may be well known within the industry but I have never heard it before...and I could be completely wrong as well.

Maybe it depends on which way the wind blows. LOL

I remember way back in the 90's, I was at Panama City beach listening to my walkman and I picked up B97 :blink:

But I wonder about your theory. Sometimes I have to be standing at my front door or laying in my bed (which shares the same wall as my front door) to pick up the signal from Lapalco. Sometimes I can be sitting on my sofa and be connected to it.