Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

LOL I just saw that myself  right before I saw that u replied   like I said in the 1st post I signed up awhile back and at the time was on Verizon I switched to Sprint on Oct 31st/Nov 1st cause I got tired of paying $80 for 500MB when I could pay the same price to Sprint for unlimited and have the iPhone 5c now tbh I don't like it lol

Well it is tricky to connect to 800 mhz voice unless you have a 800 prioritized prl installed. Otherwise you probably won't connect to 800 voice unless you are on the fringe of the signal area from that site.

Were you somehow able to get the Droid DNA on Sprint? Your device on your profile says DNA and I didn't think that was a Sprint device.

And really tricky.. Downright impossible to connect to 1x800 in most Ericsson markets since they have them all blocked.

Why do they have them blocked if they are adding to them? just wondering

Some areas didn't have enough sites and it created small islands of voice networks. Other areas were covered enough but they blocked them anyways. It's an Ericsson thing you'll never understand.

Some areas didn't have enough sites and it created small islands of voice networks. Other areas were covered enough but they blocked them anyways. It's an Ericsson thing you'll never understand.

created small islands?    not sure what ya mean    like they had alot of  networks instead of 1 whole network?  as for the not enough sites  I do know what ya mean by that  my WHOLE county only has 4 towers on Sprint

• 3 weeks later...

I looked around and didn't see any baton rouge forums but, I think b.r. has been considered part of the nola market. Direct me to the correct forum if this is not the correct one.

I just got a gs4. This is my first foray into lte. My speedtests have been alarming.

Unless my expectations are monumentally off, these numbers seem horrifically low. Aside from the 16, I'm averaging 2 down over the last 48 hours. The tests were from various locations and at various times. I have a coworker on another carrier who routinely gets 15 and up, as high as 20. I was expecting something comparable.

Am I missing some configuration on the phone?

I looked around and didn't see any baton rouge forums but, I think b.r. has been considered part of the nola market. Direct me to the correct forum if this is not the correct one.

I just got a gs4. This is my first foray into lte. My speedtests have been alarming.

Unless my expectations are monumentally off, these numbers seem horrifically low. Aside from the 16, I'm averaging 2 down over the last 48 hours. The tests were from various locations and at various times. I have a coworker on another carrier who routinely gets 15 and up, as high as 20. I was expecting something comparable.

Am I missing some configuration on the phone?

First off welcome to S4GRU and yes you are in the right spot as the Baton Rouge area is consider the New Orleans market.  What general area were you in?  There's still a few towers in Baton Rouge that do not have LTE yet.  Some areas you can see 20 megabit downloads and some are you can see you get the 0.1.  You didn't miss any configuration on the phone as there really isn't any as long as you seeing the 4G LTE indicator on your phone.

The tests were primarily from 4 areas; millerville, lsu, airline@i12 and college@i12.

Just to make sure I understand, there are 4G towers in b.r. that are pushing less than 1m down?

Edited by bfniii

The tests were primarily from 4 areas; millerville, lsu, airline@i12 and college@i12.

Just to make sure I understand, there are 4G towers in b.r. that are pushing less than 1m down?

I hope you meant College @ I-10.  That area has been pretty decent but it's tower is just a rooftop at the Embassy Suites there.  I can understand the Airline @ I-12 as that's really a poor coverage area for Sprint there especially with a nearby site on Sherwood not having LTE yet.  

It's not that they are pushing 1 megabit down it's they are overloaded in some areas.  If you become a sponsor to the site you can see all the maps and spreadsheets we have for the area of all the sites and ways to determine which site you are connecting to.  There's always the Sensorly app as well to help determine your LTE coverage in the area as we've mapped out mos of the sites in Baton Rouge.

http://www.sensorly.com/iframe/s4gru.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=Baton+Rouge%2C+LA

Just ran a test at Perkins and essen. 18 down which beats the 14 my at&t coworker got at the same time. That's a good sign. I'll test college Dr again.

LTE speed is very signal dependent. There's a site with both AT&T and Sprint on it near that intersection.

i ran 2 college dr tests at 4:30. I got 2.3 and 5.6 down.

just tested millerville, 6pm. 2 and 2.9

at millerville, streaming video is problematic. this is disappointing. I certainly hope sprint continues to work on these areas.

although I don't like it, I can understand that trying to stream video at an lsu event is a losing proposition. but, I didn't expect to have this much trouble at millerville.

serving cell is 250 band: 25

rsrp is 105

i ran 2 college dr tests at 4:30. I got 2.3 and 5.6 down.

just tested millerville, 6pm. 2 and 2.9

at millerville, streaming video is problematic. this is disappointing. I certainly hope sprint continues to work on these areas.

although I don't like it, I can understand that trying to stream video at an lsu event is a losing proposition. but, I didn't expect to have this much trouble at millerville.

serving cell is 250 band: 25

rsrp is 105

I know 250 well as that was one of the first LTE sites in Baton Rouge. It is Flannery and Old Hammond. That area is complete for the LTE rollout on band 25.

I'm getting less than 1m down on Bluebonnet at the interstate. An at&t family member is getting 7.5 down. Obviously, I can't stream much of anything or surf the web. What's the story for this location?

serving cell - 84

band - 25

rsrp - 109

I'm getting less than 1m down on Bluebonnet at the interstate. An at&t family member is getting 7.5 down. Obviously, I can't stream much of anything or surf the web. What's the story for this location?

serving cell - 84

band - 25

rsrp - 109

109 isn't that great of a signal but definitely capable of more than 1 meg down. As stated before that site is pretty congested there. Maybe when band 26 rolls out it will be better there a bit but that's only for the newer devices that support it.

Areas such as that just need additional sites built and that might be a couple years out before they could possibly do it.

Email Dan@sprint.com and let them know of your problems. The only way to make it a problem on their radar is to have tickets opened.

so, since fri, I've tested 7 sites. 1 site got 15+, 1 site got 2-5 and the others have all been BELOW 1m down.

honestly, I feel like I'm paying for something that doesn't work right. I'm told there is an lte network but, what good are the credentials when I'm getting speeds that aren't even acceptable for 3g? this was after 2 years of dealing with 3g speeds that weren't acceptable for 3g.

it's congested? why do the other carriers not have this problem? so sprint installed equipment that was immediately inadequate for the workload? I understand that sprint might be better than the other carriers depending on the site but, that has not been my experience so far. and the lte service didn't just go up yesterday. if indeed the problems are as bad as they seem to me, why haven't they been addressed by now? I couldn't even view pictures on fb in a reasonable amount of time. I don't expect it to be instantaneous but, more than 30 seconds is just unacceptable for the amount of money I'm paying for data service.

apparently, my expectations are WAY off because i don't see anyone in this market complaining about it in this thread. now I'm stuck with 2 years of snake oil.

so, since fri, I've tested 7 sites. 1 site got 15+, 1 site got 2-5 and the others have all been BELOW 1m down.

honestly, I feel like I'm paying for something that doesn't work right. I'm told there is an lte network but, what good are the credentials when I'm getting speeds that aren't even acceptable for 3g? this was after 2 years of dealing with 3g speeds that weren't acceptable for 3g.

it's congested? why do the other carriers not have this problem? so sprint installed equipment that was immediately inadequate for the workload? I understand that sprint might be better than the other carriers depending on the site but, that has not been my experience so far. and the lte service didn't just go up yesterday. if indeed the problems are as bad as they seem to me, why haven't they been addressed by now? I couldn't even view pictures on fb in a reasonable amount of time. I don't expect it to be instantaneous but, more than 30 seconds is just unacceptable for the amount of money I'm paying for data service.

apparently, my expectations are WAY off because i don't see anyone in this market complaining about it in this thread. now I'm stuck with 2 years of snake oil.

While I do not feel those results are what should be expected, please keep in mind that the network upgrades are not complete. They are still upgrading and tweaking the network. Unfortunately, what you have in that area is where it is at the moment. Also, the other carriers do have congestion problems. No carrier is immune to that, it just depends on the location. If there are sites you know are having major problems, be sure to report them to Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I looked around the forums for a few minutes but, didn't find an answer to this question about sensorly. how does the expected level of the signal correlate to the download speed? from what I've read on the board so far, data load is more of a factor on throughput than intensity of signal. intensity seems to relate more to obstruction, rfi, etc.

Any timeline for Spark or 800 rollout in New Orleans yet?

Haven't heard anything. When 1x800 starts popping up 800 LTE should be with it.

It will be a while before 2600 Spark gets here as WiMax was never rolled out here which means it will be a brand new cell site network getting rolled out.

Haven't heard anything. When 1x800 starts popping up 800 LTE should be with it.

It will be a while before 2600 Spark gets here as WiMax was never rolled out here which means it will be a brand new cell site network getting rolled out.

We shouldn't expect the WiMax signals in the CBD to be switched over sooner rather than later? I'd imagine they'd want the capacity for outdoor events on ASAP. I guess, do we even know where those antenna are located? I only know my Nexus S 4G picked up a good WiMax along Poydras and down Magazine all the way to about Felicity. Basically everywhere the Sensorly map showed.

http://sensorly.com/map/WIMAX/US/USA/Sprint_Wimax/wimax_310sprint#q=New+Orleans%2C+LA+70115%2C+USA

We shouldn't expect the WiMax signals in the CBD to be switched over sooner rather than later? I'd imagine they'd want the capacity for outdoor events on ASAP. I guess, do we even know where those antenna are located? I only know my Nexus S 4G picked up a good WiMax along Poydras and down Magazine all the way to about Felicity. Basically everywhere the Sensorly map showed.

http://sensorly.com/map/WIMAX/US/USA/Sprint_Wimax/wimax_310sprint#q=New+Orleans%2C+LA+70115%2C+USA

It's just one site though. Not going to help the many needed across the metro area.