Will you buy the galaxy nexus? Or wait for a quad core?

pyroscott

GSIII, FTW!

- Robert

Yes man! I'll be standing in line!

Check out all the name variants of the G Slll ! :D

http://phandroid.com/2012/03/11/samsung-requests-for-trademarks-possibly-for-galaxy-s-iii-us-variants/?utm_source=AndroidDigest&utm_medium=facebook

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

my question is do you really feel the speed of verizons network while using it. I get an average of 1.0mbs down in memphis with my evo and my co worker gets 20+! on his verizon droid razer. You would think it should make a huge difference but does it?

my question is do you really feel the speed of verizons network while using it. I get an average of 1.0mbs down in memphis with my evo and my co worker gets 20+! on his verizon droid razer. You would think it should make a huge difference but does it?

It doesn't really have much to do with the handset. It is almost completely dependant on the tower load, backhaul and signal strength. Sometimes I pull 28 mbps and other times it is 5 or 6 mbps. Even WiMax and HSPA+ are capable of more speed than most people see out of them.

Post 1000, LTE-A baby!

• Like 1

I wanted the Nexus badly until I read the Verizon forums and the issues with dropped signals that the users have been having. My wife has the Nexus S 4G and that phone has signal and GPS issues. I thought there was no way Samsung wouldn't fix these for the new Nexus, so I was surprised to see so many having trouble. From what I've read, it seems Samsung doesn't have the best cell radios in their phones.

It'll be interesting to see how the Sprint version works, but I won't be one of the guinea pigs!

• Like 1

I wanted the Nexus badly until I read the Verizon forums and the issues with dropped signals that the users have been having. My wife has the Nexus S 4G and that phone has signal and GPS issues. I thought there was no way Samsung wouldn't fix these for the new Nexus, so I was surprised to see so many having trouble. From what I've read, it seems Samsung doesn't have the best cell radios in their phones.

It'll be interesting to see how the Sprint version works, but I won't be one of the guinea pigs!

Never had a problem with mine. The most vocal people are the ones who feel dissatisfied or like they were taken advantage of. I'm sure there are lemons in every phone model. My wife had a lemon RAZR MAXX.

I agree with pyro, every model has a few duds, and for those (like me) that just have to have the first generation of a new model, comes the uncertainty of early bugs, or things just not working as they should. Its the nature of the game. But one that I don't mind playing since warranty is my best friend. :)

TS

• Like 1

I agree with pyro, every model has a few duds, and for those (like me) that just have to have the first generation of a new model, comes the uncertainty of early bugs, or things just not working as they should. Its the nature of the game. But one that I don't mind playing since warranty is my best friend. :)

TS

have you read the Verizon forums? I know you can find dirt on any phone, but it seems that the galaxy nexus is in a league of its own.

have you read the Verizon forums? I know you can find dirt on any phone, but it seems that the galaxy nexus is in a league of its own.

That is true and yeah I have. But what they did to the Nexus is wow, just wow. (and not in a good way I might add.) If I was a Verizon customer and wanted the Nexus I would have been fuming. Then again they did basically the same crap with the HTC Incredible. (Its coming out tomorrow, oh wait, the day after, oh wait the day after that. Updates, oh yeah tomorrow, no wait the day after that, bloatware, oh yeah we got that covered too, etc etc) At times I am left to wonder who is the lesser of the two evils, Verizon or AT&T.

Personally I would love for Sprint to have the Nexus with 32GB instead of 16 like Verizon. But historically it doesn't seem to be the case.

TS

• Like 1

I own the nexus

Yeah, some people don't have problems, but it does seem that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is very hit or miss. As you might be aware, there are multiple forums with 20 + pages each dedicated to Galaxy Nexus signal issues.

The promise of timely updates isn't to be believed either. Wife has the nexus s 4g with no official ice cream sandwich while other non nexus phones are being updated, and no, not going to root the wifes phone. Don't know how to, don't care to know how to, and shouldnt have to.

Edited by nels0300

The promise of timely updates isn't to be believed either. Wife has the nexus s 4g with no official ice cream sandwich while other non nexus phones are being updated, and no, not going to root the wifes phone. Don't know how to, don't care to know how to, and shouldnt have to.

Absolutely agree. Nexus S is WAY overdue for an OTA update. There are HTC phones with Sense that have already seen OTAs. There is no reason that people should have to root their phone to get an update, especially when it is part of the sales pitch that you will see updates before any other phone. Google really messed up on this one. Hopefully they learn from it and don't make the mistake with the GNex.

As for the signal issues, you are correct, there are a lot of people that are very vocal about their signal issues. I personally have not had a problem, but I never experienced the LOS on the Samsung E4GT either. Maybe I am lucky or it is a case of "expecting something to happen, and when you see the slightest bit of evidence that may be supporting it, you jump to the conclusion you were expecting." The Nexus S had a lot of people complaining about signal issues, then there was an OTA to correct it. To this day, people call the phone junk, because of the initial problems that it had. I never owned the Nexus S, so I have no first hand knowledge of whether or not it was/is a problem. Has your wife had signal issues?

I see the "signal issues" on the Samsung Nexus phones similar to the "transmission issues" that used to be the stigma with Dodge trucks. Samsung, HTC, Apple, Motorola have all proven that they are the top smartphone makers in the world, just as Ford, Dodge and Chevy have proven that they are the top truck makers in the US. If you expect to see a bad transmission in a Dodge, every bad transmission that you see on a Dodge will "prove your point," but transmissions go bad. They are a mechanical object that is prone to mechanical failure if favorable conditions are not consistantly met, in any vehicle by any carmaker. Now, as far as Samsung's radios are concerned, maybe they are not the best, but I would have to say that they are at least on par with the average of the industry. If they were really as bad as everyone seems to think, they wouldn't be in the top smartphone maker spot in the world http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/samsung-overtakes-apple-as-worlds-top-smartphone-maker/15847 shipping nearly 25% of the world's smartphones. Or at least they will not stay in that spot. For a long time, I thought Samsung feature phones had bad software and bought Sanyo instead. Recently, after owning the E4GT and now the GNex, I am very impressed with where Samsung has gone with their phones.

I'm not saying that what you have experienced with Samsung is wrong, but I have seen a lot of unbased comments regarding the Galaxy Nexus being "junk" because it either doesn't have a qualcomm baseband or has junk radios etc.

Most of the E4GT LOS issues were related to 4G WiMax. If you kept the 4G antenna off, you were rarely affected.

I only had LOS twice before the fix came out. And both times I was in Santa Fe and had my 4G on but not connected.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

After doing a little more research, I found this http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-confirms-Galaxy-Nexus-signal-problems-fix-in-the-works_id24916 and I have loaded the 4.0.4 update, so maybe Verizon issued a fix and that is why I have not seen any issues?

Yes, the wifes phone has signal and gps issues. We both have Sprint, I have an EVO, and when we go camping, I have a signal and she doesn't. I feel bad about it because I talked her into getting the phone, explaining that it was pure Google, it'd get updates, etc. I really don't understand how Samsung can sell so many phones when they have seemingly ongoing signal problems. They look cool though and have nice screens, but I am going to stick with HTC or Moto.

Yes, the wifes phone has signal and gps issues. We both have Sprint, I have an EVO, and when we go camping, I have a signal and she doesn't. I feel bad about it because I talked her into getting the phone, explaining that it was pure Google, it'd get updates, etc. I really don't understand how Samsung can sell so many phones when they have seemingly ongoing signal problems. They look cool though and have nice screens, but I am going to stick with HTC or Moto.

That is a perfectly reasonable assessment. If Samsung is putting inferior radios in their phones and subjecting their customers to signal issues, it will catch up with them eventually. My wife has a RAZR MAXX and I have the GNex, so I will have my own long term study going on here :)

My wife has an Evo and I have a E4GT. She often has more bars in her signal strength indicator, but usually signal strength is roughly the same if you check the dBm's.

The only time we have a difference in signal that's notable is at the edge of service (like in your camping example). However, I just then force roam and go onto VZW 850 at those times when I have a signal worse than -100dBm.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

So when are we going to find out the specs of the GN? Is it really going to have a better camera and faster processor?

One would think that there would be some kind of leak. It is only a little over 2 weeks from the release... They have to be distributing them to stores now or soon at least, someone will leak the specs soon.

• Like 2