Network Vision/LTE - Riverside/San Bernardino Market (Inland Empire)

Stuntman

Looks like they're finally starting to turn things on. I've yet to get 4G in my area but I've been seeing some error messages on my phone in the morning indicating a data outage overnight. I'll take that as a positive sign that work is being done. :-)

What area are you in??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Cathedral City.  Nearest tower is 30th. Ave. and Landau.

Well your real close to where LTE has been active, I would highly recommend becoming a sponsor, all it takes is a donation and you'll be able to see just how much our Valley has progressed and where LTE is available in other places that still haven't been officially announced.  

I've seen Sensorly's map showing LTE activity on two of the three towers closest to me but standing right next to them only gives me a strong 3G signal.  My take is they once turned it on for a couple of hours for a test, someone mapped it and now it's considered live by Sensorly.  I think they need to filter things like that out to get an accurate picture of actual coverage.

On the other hand, I've had a great 4G signal in Los Angeles so I know it isn't my phone. :-)

I've seen Sensorly's map showing LTE activity on two of the three towers closest to me but standing right next to them only gives me a strong 3G signal.  My take is they once turned it on for a couple of hours for a test, someone mapped it and now it's considered live by Sensorly.  I think they need to filter things like that out to get an accurate picture of actual coverage.

How would they do that? Sensorly doesn't have access to which towers are currently live. We don't even have access to that. Sensorly does what it's supposed to do. When you map an area, it records the data and prints it on the map. When someone else maps the same area, it averages out the data. There's not much else they can do. 

How would they do that? 

That's a very good question.  I've been thinking about it for a while.  They would have to know whose phone is 4G capable but only getting 3G in a particular location.  I think I would filter out those blips that showed 4G in a location weeks (days?) ago and now only shows 3G, especially for those users who have known 4G capability (evidenced by at least one 4G map point for that user anywhere).  As it is now, I think one blip is enough to assume 4G exists there forever, which obviously isn't true.  There may be other ways to detect the phone's LTE capabilities through the OS, the make and model, etc.

Maybe I should start a competing service, but my Android skills aren't quite there yet.

That's a very good question.  I've been thinking about it for a while.  They would have to know whose phone is 4G capable but only getting 3G in a particular location.  I think I would filter out those blips that showed 4G in a location weeks (days?) ago and now only shows 3G, especially for those users who have known 4G capability (evidenced by at least one 4G map point for that user anywhere).  As it is now, I think one blip is enough to assume 4G exists there forever, which obviously isn't true.  There may be other ways to detect the phone's LTE capabilities through the OS, the make and model, etc.

Maybe I should start a competing service, but my Android skills aren't quite there yet.

I would recommend reading up a little bit more on the sensorly thread.  I would also recommend that you pick up the signal app made by a few of our site sponsors.  The thing with sensorly is that while you are mapping, it does not switch from 3g to 4g unless you force the radio of and on again.  If you are searching via sensorly and mapping at the same time, it would be good if you used airplane mode often. 

As i see on your profile, you have the LTEVO which is not the best 4G performer, so that may also be causing the confusion in signal.  Becoming a sponsor here will also give you access to more information to further explain NV.

I would recommend reading up a little bit more on the sensorly thread.  I would also recommend that you pick up the signal app made by a few of our site sponsors.  The thing with sensorly is that while you are mapping, it does not switch from 3g to 4g unless you force the radio of and on again.  If you are searching via sensorly and mapping at the same time, it would be good if you used airplane mode often. 

As i see on your profile, you have the LTEVO which is not the best 4G performer, so that may also be causing the confusion in signal.  Becoming a sponsor here will also give you access to more information to further explain NV.

The problem I'm seeing isn't that Sensorly is missing 4G sites in its maps (which the solution in your response implies), rather that it shows 4G where none exists, on my phone when I visit the cell sites anyway. Maybe my phone isn't the most sensitive, but I've had no problem getting LTE in Los Angeles (in areas with only one or two bars), whereas I've not yet been successful here in the Coachella Valley.  And that isn't just driving by with the Sensorly app. running.  I've stood next to the tower, cycled airplane mode, rebooted, used the app that cycles Airplane mode, etc.  I don't have to do any of these things in LA to get it to work.  It just pops up all by itself even with a marginal signal.

Call me crazy, but my intuition says, given the above data, that LTE is still in the testing stage in my area and just happened to be on when someone drove by and mapped it.  Now it isn't and Sensorily doesn't reflect that.  I wish it did.  I've tried to explain how this could be improved algorithmically by removing blips when 4G capable phones have mapped a site several times and only succeeded in getting 3G. Instead, they appear to just average the 3G and 4G signals separately.  

In any case, watching NV evolve is an enjoyable pastime.  I hope to continue to do so and might even become a site sponsor if I have some spare cash.  Thanks for reading!

The problem I'm seeing isn't that Sensorly is missing 4G sites in its maps (which the solution in your response implies), rather that it shows 4G where none exists, on my phone when I visit the cell sites anyway. Maybe my phone isn't the most sensitive, but I've had no problem getting LTE in Los Angeles (in areas with only one or two bars), whereas I've not yet been successful here in the Coachella Valley. And that isn't just driving by with the Sensorly app. running. I've stood next to the tower, cycled airplane mode, rebooted, used the app that cycles Airplane mode, etc. I don't have to do any of these things in LA to get it to work. It just pops up all by itself even with a marginal signal.

Call me crazy, but my intuition says, given the above data, that LTE is still in the testing stage in my area and just happened to be on when someone drove by and mapped it. Now it isn't and Sensorily doesn't reflect that. I wish it did. I've tried to explain how this could be improved algorithmically by removing blips when 4G capable phones have mapped a site several times and only succeeded in getting 3G. Instead, they appear to just average the 3G and 4G signals separately.

In any case, watching NV evolve is an enjoyable pastime. I hope to continue to do so and might even become a site sponsor if I have some spare cash. Thanks for reading!

Well as of today everywhere sensorly shows LTE in the Coachella Valley I have been able to connect to it using a sprint note2. You should also keep in mind that a tower can send a signal further than another towers depending on the tilt, and builds and nature around it and also depends on your phones radios too, sponsor get to know exactly which tower is active with LTE and u may be at the wrong tower when u try to connect to 4g, keep in mind that if the tower u are closes to is 3g only then your phone will try to stay connected to it since its giving off a stonger signal. A simple donation gives u sponsor statues for six months so give it a try it really helps, also on sensorly the darker the purple is, means that's were the signal is stronger and I have been able to get speeds as high as 27 Mbps down and 12 up so try to check for LTE there

:) .

I have been able to get speeds as high as 27 Mbps down and 12 up so try to check for LTE there

Impressive!  I thought my speed test of 18/9 (down/up Mbps) in LA was good. 

Good point about being next to the wrong tower.  I can see how standing near a 3G site would preclude the reception of a farther away 4G signal.   So far, I've tried to guess which towers are LTE enabled based on where the blue was the darkest on Sensorly's map but no luck yet.  Guess I need to check under the seat cushions for some spare change.  ;-)

The problem I'm seeing isn't that Sensorly is missing 4G sites in its maps (which the solution in your response implies), rather that it shows 4G where none exists, on my phone when I visit the cell sites anyway. Maybe my phone isn't the most sensitive, but I've had no problem getting LTE in Los Angeles (in areas with only one or two bars), whereas I've not yet been successful here in the Coachella Valley.  And that isn't just driving by with the Sensorly app. running.  I've stood next to the tower, cycled airplane mode, rebooted, used the app that cycles Airplane mode, etc.  I don't have to do any of these things in LA to get it to work.  It just pops up all by itself even with a marginal signal.

Call me crazy, but my intuition says, given the above data, that LTE is still in the testing stage in my area and just happened to be on when someone drove by and mapped it.  Now it isn't and Sensorily doesn't reflect that.  I wish it did.  I've tried to explain how this could be improved algorithmically by removing blips when 4G capable phones have mapped a site several times and only succeeded in getting 3G. Instead, they appear to just average the 3G and 4G signals separately.  

In any case, watching NV evolve is an enjoyable pastime.  I hope to continue to do so and might even become a site sponsor if I have some spare cash.  Thanks for reading!

I understand the point you are trying to make and I get it.  I have a similar issue in the OC where I reside.  Now the other issue is that the two markets that we are having issues with are both markets that have yet to be "launched" in which case, the towers can be off and on as they please.  This would indicate the issues you have with the towers that are 4G accepted and 4G transmitting. 

A quick donation, and a little luck that S4GRU is available to upgrade your membership, and you can have access to the data you so desire. 

There has been discussion on the board of phones such as the Nexus that have had a tendency to continue to show 4G data points even though there is absolutely no 4G there.

I agree.  They haven't officially launched yet and certainly don't have an obligation to keep the LTE service active.

One thing I find interesting is the Riverside County area has a relatively large number of NV accepted sites that aren't yet LTE accepted:  59% vs. only 8%.  Whereas for OC it's 51% and 24%.  So we have more completed NV sites yet less are LTE enabled.

One thing I find interesting is the Riverside County area has a relatively large number of NV accepted sites that aren't yet LTE accepted: 59% vs. only 8%

Good to know, this explains why coverage is so in and out for LTE.

60% of the time it works every time!

*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

I agree. They haven't officially launched yet and certainly don't have an obligation to keep the LTE service active.

One thing I find interesting is the Riverside County area has a relatively large number of NV accepted sites that aren't yet LTE accepted: 59% vs. only 8%. Whereas for OC it's 51% and 24%. So we have more completed NV sites yet less are LTE enabled.

It all depends on how fast permits are granted to get the extra needed backhaul that is need for LTE. Every area is different and even then LTE testing is needed with an inspection afterwards to insure that the tower is ready to be LTE accepted, but its good to see that many areas are starting to get LTE even with out a proper soon to be coming announcement from Sprint.

I was visiting from San Diego driving around Desert Hot Springs & Palm Desert, I found this & mapped out some LTE on Portola Avenue & Country Club Drive last night and today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

post-6420-1374281481852_thumb.jpg

I was visiting from San Diego driving around Desert Hot Springs & Palm Desert, I found this & mapped out some LTE on Portola Avenue & Country Club Drive last night and today.

Good deal.  I got my first LTE signal in the Coachella Valley just south of the airport near Gold's Gym yesterday.  17Mbps down, 4 up.  Not bad! 

Also, CDMA voice problems today near my house (30th. and Landau).  Maybe they're switching over to NV hardware??

So recently I've been seeing NV results on my speedtest ( Ping under 100, 1.5 down, 1 up) but only in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was because they were just testing it out at night but it's been every night for weeks and during the day it's basically unusable. Is it because of congestion?

The tower I connect to was 3G approved a couple weeks ago

So recently I've been seeing NV results on my speedtest ( Ping under 100, 1.5 down, 1 up) but only in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was because they were just testing it out at night but it's been every night for weeks and during the day it's basically unusable. Is it because of congestion?

The tower I connect to was 3G approved a couple weeks ago

I dont think so. Because in my house 3G is .50 mbps max for down and up. And at night its usually around 1-2mbps. Its just that at night alot of people arent using the tower because they are asleep.

Saw LTE flickering on and off while watching my son Practice near West Valley High School on the western edge of Hemet.  Signal did not get better as I drove north on Sanderson toward a known Sprint tower.. must have been picking it up from somewhere else...

More LTE in Indio, CA and its safe to say that 3G only phones can finally roam the the wed, youtube, and anyother source that requires internet connection, about 2 weeks ago 3g was literally dial up with pings ranging from 1000 and up and download was at .03Mbps - No connection, same with upload. Here's a pic of the speeds I've seen on 3g

uploadfromtaptalk1374884389143.jpg

Hey everybody i been mapping the area of riverside that i live in and its safe to say that in my part of riverside 4g got cut on yesterday night i mapped some of the area on sensorly for you guys to check out the area is orangecrest /mission grove area i dont know if anybody is familiar with this area but im always connected to 4g lte at my house i havnt mapped the woodcrest area yet but im pretty sure that area has 4g to since the towers that cover orangecrest should cover woodcrest to i was eating some chicken at kfc when 4g lit up and i was like oh shit so i mapped from kfc all the way to mission grove guys check it out on sensorly

My average speed is between 6-10 megabits per second download not bad for the first test phase my upload is between 2-4 megabits per second ima see if i can map the woodcrest area this week hopefully 4g lte spreads all around riverside fairly quickly also i attend moreno valley college and 4g was available there to in some spots not inside the buildings though in the classrooms