Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

I am ok with my home coverage... I think outside I get between 2-3Mbps  as long as I can stream music while I mow I am good.

My issue, which is getting better is speed/signal strength at my office.  when I have an LTE signal I get 2-3Mbps, but when it drops to 3G I am getting less than 500Kbps.

I honestly think that Tampa Bay has a disproportionately high number of Sprint users too. Anecdotally, my family, my family's friends, my friends... Everyone in my break room at work... Mind you, most everyone I named has LTE iPhones on Sprint, including me.

Even with 2.5 GHz and SMR band, we could still use an additional PCS carriers for all the single band devices. Yesterday I was at a bar and couldn't even send an iMessage on LTE. It took a good two minutes.

If you have wifi this shouldnt matter. I have a wifi ac router and love the increased speeds from the G2.

I got wifi. I just find it funny that my wimax photon beat my sg3 in a speed test. I'm going to hang out to see how this sparkthing pans out. On the up side, I've never had a dropped call from either phone. I find that amazing considering all the work going on.

• Like 1

Could simply be due to the number of people riding Sprint's single LTE carrier.  Good news for you guys is that Band-41 is live and well in Tampa.  A triband phone will give you all the capacity you need and 40+ mbps speedtests to boot.

How is the N5 performing in your area? I know your not in Tampa anymore, but I was thinking about picking it up.

How is the N5 performing in your area? I know your not in Tampa anymore, but I was thinking about picking it up.

It's on the way so I haven't gotten it yet.  Ordered on the 9th and it's supposed to ship on 12/3.  If you are going to order from the Play Store go for the white version- they seem to be shipping out much faster.

All in all the reports from tri-band devices up here are pretty good.  There are a couple of locations where people have reported some issues, but that's it.  I'm sure you have seen the comments yourself, but everyone has just been raving about the RF performance and the folks up here confirm that.

When I get the phone I'll follow up with you and let you know how it is. 

It's on the way so I haven't gotten it yet.  Ordered on the 9th and it's supposed to ship on 12/3.  If you are going to order from the Play Store go for the white version- they seem to be shipping out much faster.

All in all the reports from tri-band devices up here are pretty good.  There are a couple of locations where people have reported some issues, but that's it.  I'm sure you have seen the comments yourself, but everyone has just been raving about the RF performance and the folks up here confirm that.

When I get the phone I'll follow up with you and let you know how it is.

Thank you. Check out the Sprint coverage on Sprint.com. They have a Sprint Spark coverage overlay on the coverage map now for the Tampa area. They also added a "Turbo" overlay if you zoom in for some of the Spark area. Some Sprint Spark areas have Turbo, some don't. I posted a screenshot in the Sprint Spark thread.

Thank you. Check out the Sprint coverage on Sprint.com. They have a Sprint Spark coverage overlay on the coverage map now for the Tampa area. They also added a "Turbo" overlay if you zoom in for some of the Spark area. Some Sprint Spark areas have Turbo, some don't. I posted a screenshot in the Sprint Spark thread.

Ah I didn't know about the Turbo areas.  I am interested as to what the performance difference is between the turbo and non-turbo areas.  Going to go catch up on the Spark Thread now lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you guys haven't picked up the Nexus 5 yet, then I would highly recommend it.  The phone is top notch all around.  The camera and sounds issues were never really as bad most were leading them on to be, but have since been addressed in the latest update.

The performance of this phone in an area with as much LTE, not to mention band 41 LTE, should make you guys pretty happy.

If any of you guys haven't picked up the Nexus 5 yet, then I would highly recommend it. The phone is top notch all around. The camera and sounds issues were never really as bad most were leading them on to be, but have since been addressed in the latest update.

The performance of this phone in an area with as much LTE, not to mention band 41 LTE, should make you guys pretty happy.

Have you been able to test the n5 in the miami/ft lauderdale area?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Have you been able to test the n5 in the miami/ft lauderdale area?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

No I've haven't been farther south than Tampa in awhile, but there is no reason it won't perform anything less than spectacular down there as well.

If any of you guys haven't picked up the Nexus 5 yet, then I would highly recommend it.  The phone is top notch all around.  The camera and sounds issues were never really as bad most were leading them on to be, but have since been addressed in the latest update.

I am on the bubble between the Nexus5 and the g2.

I am on the bubble between the Nexus5 and the g2.

Can't go wrong with the G2 considering the battery life it has.  Only place where the N5 doesn't keep up.  Not to say that the N5's battery life is bad, but it's about equal to my old Evo LTE.

If you are buying off contract though the N5 is surely the only way to go.

Can't go wrong with the G2 considering the battery life it has.  Only place where the N5 doesn't keep up.  Not to say that the N5's battery life is bad, but it's about equal to my old Evo LTE. If you are buying off contract though the N5 is surely the only way to go.

I'm actually out of contract now so I'm a little gun shy on which phone to get. Has Sprint put out the spark update on either phone yet? I think that might be my deciding factor.

I'm actually out of contract now so I'm a little gun shy on which phone to get. Has Sprint put out the spark update on either phone yet? I think that might be my deciding factor.

Nah not yet, but you can enable Band 41 manually.

Ok, I know it was some time ago that Tampa International Airport showed as “in progress.”  However, the only progress I have seen on the main site, where all the other carriers are on the hotel near the old rotating restaurant, seems to have been all of the other carriers.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, after a long time of no activity, I started seeing folks on the roof working.  It has been hard to see what they have been working on as my vantage point has been lower and only seeing some movement and the door open for access to the roof. 

Today however something occurred that you could not miss, that being a large crane quickly erected in the middle of the airport (hard to miss a large crane in the middle of the airport).  It went up quickly and in the end, some new cabinets were put in place on the roof, and old ones removed.  The crane was quickly taken down once they moved items from the ground up to the roof.

I didn’t see any cabinet activity when the other carriers did their upgrades and I am hoping that the cabinets that went into place are for Sprint.  I’ll keep an eye out, but folks have been commenting that they hope to see Sprint improvements at the airport and I’m hoping that what is going on right now is related to Sprint with the new cabinets installed there today.

• Like 1

Ok, I know it was some time ago that Tampa International Airport showed as “in progress.”  However, the only progress I have seen on the main site, where all the other carriers are on the hotel near the old rotating restaurant, seems to have been all of the other carriers.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, after a long time of no activity, I started seeing folks on the roof working.  It has been hard to see what they have been working on as my vantage point has been lower and only seeing some movement and the door open for access to the roof. 

Today however something occurred that you could not miss, that being a large crane quickly erected in the middle of the airport (hard to miss a large crane in the middle of the airport).  It went up quickly and in the end, some new cabinets were put in place on the roof, and old ones removed.  The crane was quickly taken down once they moved items from the ground up to the roof.

I didn’t see any cabinet activity when the other carriers did their upgrades and I am hoping that the cabinets that went into place are for Sprint.  I’ll keep an eye out, but folks have been commenting that they hope to see Sprint improvements at the airport and I’m hoping that what is going on right now is related to Sprint with the new cabinets installed there today.

I chuckle a little reading this post. Wild, this site is your white whale. It seems like you have been watching this site for at least 6 months. Glad to see is finally paid off

I chuckle a little reading this post. Wild, this site is your white whale. It seems like you have been watching this site for at least 6 months. Glad to see is finally paid off

Yes, I see it every day since I work at the airport and see it from the tram as I move between the landside and airside areas.  I have seen tweets as well of people complaining about Sprint at the airport and it will be nice to see an improvement there.  My other colleagues are on AT&T and their upgrades there are done and they get great service.  Network Vision at the airport will be a welcome amenity at the airport for travelers.

• Like 1

I just read that Sprint is coming out with a triband gs4 in a week or two. I think that's gonna be my next phone.

That is definitely going to be a crowd favorite.  The only question is if it will be spark enabled out of the box or not.

That is definitely going to be a crowd favorite.  The only question is if it will be spark enabled out of the box or not.

Look like I have a little more reading to do. But I do know its going to cost me $199. with a new contract. A bit more than the g2 or nexus5.