Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

Okay not to get anyone in the Tampa Market excited but I saw tower guys in my area this morning. I'm on my phone so I can't tell you if it's a Sprint site or not but it looks like the tower guys were a outfit out of Sarasota called New Tech I think. When I worked for Goff Communications I had heard of them. It was the first day of school here and I was in an area I would normally not be in, and I was with my girlfriend who unfortunately does not share my obsession with this thing we do but I will try to sneak away either later today or tomorrow to scope it out. The panels that were on the ground looked similar to the ones we have seen in the Homestead videos

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

I'm so mad. I drove by again this afternoon to pick up the boy and they were still out there but again I was with my GF and running late. I'm almost positive it was the Sprint site they were working on. This is what I get for taking my vacation with her..Tomorrow I should have time to stop and ask the tower guys what they are working on.

I'm so mad. I drove by again this afternoon to pick up the boy and they were still out there but again I was with my GF and running late. I'm almost positive it was the Sprint site they were working on. This is what I get for taking my vacation with her..Tomorrow I should have time to stop and ask the tower guys what they are working on.

What is the closest business address to the tower??

Ok so I'm actually at the site now and spoke to the guys.. I asked if they were working on Sprints site and they said no they were working AT&T at the top. This may be true but I'm not sure. They had the tower rigged not at the top but just above the bottom site. If I were still doing tower work that is where I would rig to pull panels to that bottom site. I also see thay there has been some digging at the site and red tape where something has been brought into the site (backhaul?)

Ok now a AT&T guy showed up and the tower tech went to the top and rigged another line so maybe it is a AT&T site? Could AT&T be the backhaul guy.. At this point I'm not sure..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

If he said At&t, I would assume that he was not lying to you. And At&t might have brought in backhaul for their new LTE if they service the area, but I would assume that it is not the backhaul for Sprint. The answer is usually the simple one, sprint has not started NV there yet... I do hope that it gets better for you though, the band-aid fixes should be rolling out if you are not in immediate NV roll out areas.

If he said At&t, I would assume that he was not lying to you. And At&t might have brought in backhaul for their new LTE if they service the area, but I would assume that it is not the backhaul for Sprint. The answer is usually the simple one, sprint has not started NV there yet... I do hope that it gets better for you though, the band-aid fixes should be rolling out if you are not in immediate NV roll out areas.

AT&T is also a backhaul provider for Sprint Network Vision in a few markets. But I don't believe that to be the case around Tampa.

Robert

AT&T is also a backhaul provider for Sprint Network Vision in a few markets. But I don't believe that to be the case around Tampa.

Robert

I know that it is possible, but since he had said that there were panels that looked similar to NV, I assumed they were just all connected.

I didn't think that At&t had a all fiber network anyway, not saying that they couldn't/wouldn't run fiber for larger projects, but sprint would probably only be purchasing fiber for backhaul because of the need for speed. I know for their u-verse tripple play they use a combination of fiber and DSL lines to offer TV/internet/phone, and the highest speed I saw advertised on their website was 12Mb/s!... if they do provide backhaul for sprint would/could they guarantee a min speed that would make sure that we have a good experience on LTE?

I know that it is possible, but since he had said that there were panels that looked similar to NV, I assumed they were just all connected.

I didn't think that At&t had a all fiber network anyway, not saying that they couldn't/wouldn't run fiber for larger projects, but sprint would probably only be purchasing fiber for backhaul because of the need for speed. I know for their u-verse tripple play they use a combination of fiber and DSL lines to offer TV/internet/phone, and the highest speed I saw advertised on their website was 12Mb/s!... if they do provide backhaul for sprint would/could they guarantee a min speed that would make sure that we have a good experience on LTE?

It is my understanding that the RFP Requirements for Backhaul was 250Mbps, and must be scalable for more upon request. There are some less than 250Mbps, when the local area cannot provide those speeds. Sites have a backhaul capacity field in our master schedule database. They say 250, 95, 55 or 50. I assume these are backhaul speeds being offered from the backhaul vendor. About 50% of them are blank. And approximately 25% say 250. About 10% say 95 and 55. Less than 5% say 50.

Robert

• Like 2

I think that ATT or anyone else for that matter will run the fiber....as long as you pay the contruction costs that is and it's a somewhat reasonable distance from where the main trunk is running.

We're in the process of getting an Opt-E-MAN circuit from ATT. We had to pay construction charges since they had to run about 750' feet of fiber to the building, since there isn't any currently.

I think that ATT or anyone else for that matter will run the fiber....as long as you pay the contruction costs that is and it's a somewhat reasonable distance from where the main trunk is running.

We're in the process of getting an Opt-E-MAN circuit from ATT. We had to pay construction charges since they had to run about 750' feet of fiber to the building, since there isn't any currently.

This is very true. Imagine multiplying that by 38,000 sites. It becomes easy to see why Sprint is going with AAV/microwave in many places over fiber in Network Vision.

Robert

• Like 1

Robert

Robert, do you have any idea when the first tower will be up in the area? We are all getting extremely anxious for it now lol.

Robert, do you have any idea when the first tower will be up in the area? We are all getting extremely anxious for it now lol.

According to the Premier Sponsor schedule of the Tampa market, it looks like the first LTE sites will not be live until Mid October in the Tampa market.

Robert

According to the Premier Sponsor schedule of the Tampa market, it looks like the first LTE sites will not be live until Mid October in the Tampa market.

Robert

Well that's not too far off, but at least for the meantime I'll try not to get too excited whenever I see people working near the cell towers lol. Thanks Robert!

• 1 month later...
Anything. New for Tampa on when we might start to see some of the LTE goodness

The crickets are chirping in Florida. Lots of activity spotted and confirmed at sites. However, Sprint hasn't accepted any sites as complete in Florida outside of work associated with the DNC and a couple of COW's.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Anything. New for Tampa on when we might start to see some of the LTE goodness

The only thing I am seeing is better pings than in the last few months, speeds are still what they are but for some reason my ping times have decreased in some areas by as much as a few hundred ms..

The only thing I am seeing is better pings than in the last few months, speeds are still what they are but for some reason my ping times have decreased in some areas by as much as a few hundred ms..

Might be those little fixes from Ericsson aka bandage fixes.

2 things..I know this is a pro Spint site, but I ran into another AT&T crew yesterday installing new panels. Same company that I saw that originally started this thread..AT&T in this area is busy.

Seecond, might be a little more subjective. I lost data this morning heading to work hard. Nothing was loading. Then just as suddenly it came back. I have always had a issue sitting at my desk at work with data it just crawls. So far today has been an exception. My Google+ app NEVER, NEVER loads the pics that are in the post and today handled it with just a slight hiccup, same for my YouTube app. I didnt play video because that would just be silly but the previews loaded pretty quick. Been at this location for since 2004 and so far today having my best data day.