Network Vision/LTE - Central and South Jersey Markets

mrradic

Thanks for the quick response. The tower your referring to is "Garfield Ave". It was broadcasting 4g, this past winter. All winter I called Sprint and told them I did not think that tower location would give me, and the rest of the North part of the island adequate coverage. According to the executive office at Sprint they accepted it, and they are now fine tuning the site.  The site is only broadcasting very weak LTE in the early morning hours. 

I do have to say, everywhere but where I live here at the shore seems to have LTE. The LTE in Cape May is pretty good. I am just hoping that someone from Sprint reads this, and looks into it. My view is the vendor is either lying to, or greatly exaggerating what is going on with the network in North Wildwood 

Thanks for the quick response. The tower your referring to is "Garfield Ave". It was broadcasting 4g, this past winter. All winter I called Sprint and told them I did not think that tower location would give me, and the rest of the North part of the island adequate coverage. According to the executive office at Sprint they accepted it, and they are now fine tuning the site.  The site is only broadcasting very weak LTE in the early morning hours. 

I do have to say, everywhere but where I live here at the shore seems to have LTE. The LTE in Cape May is pretty good. I am just hoping that someone from Sprint reads this, and looks into it. My view is the vendor is either lying to, or greatly exaggerating what is going on with the network in North Wildwood 

That would be the one, do you have any pictures of the site? NV equipment is distinctive, although that doesn't mean its broadcasting (just there).

Craig,

What is the range in miles or KM of a lte tower with no building over 4 stories around?

There are several variables that makes answering that question difficult at best. I don't know for sure but a search on S4GRU would probably find a discussion that might at least give you an idea. That said, I suspect the bigger issue in your area is the number of devices connected to the tower.

It is the number of devices, the other thing is before we had a tower in the North end of town at third and surf. Now we just have the "Garfield" tower. all the CDMA test software report third and surf as my tower, but in reality the third and Surf tower is not active, and the tower I connect to is the "Garfield" tower. My research here on S4GRU gives a range of 5 blocks to 5 miles, I will CC Robert on this post and get his opinion

• 3 months later...

hey is this thread dead lol ?

Pretty much!! There have been quite a few updates in the Central Jersey market over the last few weeks. What the market really needs though is expansion to cover new development as well as filling gaps. Unfortunately I don't see any of that so far. If I ever get my new iPhone from Sprint I'm hoping that it being tri band will help with coverage. 

Pretty much!! There have been quite a few updates in the Central Jersey market over the last few weeks. What the market really needs though is expansion to cover new development as well as filling gaps. Unfortunately I don't see any of that so far. If I ever get my new iPhone from Sprint I'm hoping that it being tri band will help with coverage. 

i agree with you i have boost mobile and there service is better but the lte service needs the smr deployed...

Band 41 in east Brunswick...i m getting 55 down

That's good to hear and I hope it spreads down Rt 1. They really need more sites in the area though if they want to take on the other carriers. There are too many weak spots.

That's good to hear and I hope it spreads down Rt 1. They really need more sites in the area though if they want to take on the other carriers. There are too many weak spots.

for example my area is surrounded by lte...but my house is in a 3g only area....so I have to wait until they deploy SMR lte

for example my area is surrounded by lte...but my house is in a 3g only area....so I have to wait until they deploy SMR lte

I'm not sure how much 800 will help in some areas where tower spacing seems to be the bigger issue. I still seem to drop calls in all the same areas even though the sites have been upgraded to 800 voice.

I'm not sure how much 800 will help in some areas where tower spacing seems to be the bigger issue. I still seem to drop calls in all the same areas even though the sites have been upgraded to 800 voice.

and when i was connected to that triband tower i couldn't make phone calls...there was no ecfsb turned on on that tower...

I was in Sewell on Saturday (about as far south as I'd like to drive), and coverage there was lacking. What's interesting is that on the official Sprint.com coverage map, my cousin's house was listed as off-network roaming coverage, even though I had usable 1x, meh EVDO.

I really hope with time, and site tuning for power, we'll see some of those holes filled. 

• Like 1

Recently went to a concert for the first time at the Starland Ballroom.

Zero coverage inside the building :(

And not "too many people" but zero bars.

i m sorry man... maybe they should put up a DAS system in there

Well, 

Things do change. After nine years of Sprint telling me that my service would get better, things have changed. I live in North Wildwood, NJ. Over the last couple of months Sprint has rolled out LTE in Cape May county. I am not Sprint bashing, but I always got the same answer from Sprint when I complained that Wildwood was important for them as a market, because people from Philly played here. You guys know a phone has to work where you work live and play.

After Sprint brought in outside firms to manage the network, I would complain that they had no idea how bad service was here. In my view they didn't know because calls would not even show up on the towers as being attempted. I knew this because of the number of my neighbors who would walk to the front of my house to use my airave. 

Things have changed, LTE is covering 85% of the island of Wildwood. When I called the executive offices for Sprint and told them that I felt that the network did not have any real use on it because we are a summer resort, and I was concerned that even though I was getting 26MB down at this time of the year, that come May when the summer visitors come my service would be unusable again. and that atleast 15% of the island does not have LTE coverage they told me not to be concerned because the towers in the area would be upgraded to spark in March.

I believe them this time. Marcelo Claure seems to be taking charge of the network, and getting accountability from the netwok vendors. 

• Like 1

Well,

Things do change. After nine years of Sprint telling me that my service would get better, things have changed. I live in North Wildwood, NJ. Over the last couple of months Sprint has rolled out LTE in Cape May county. I am not Sprint bashing, but I always got the same answer from Sprint when I complained that Wildwood was important for them as a market, because people from Philly played here. You guys know a phone has to work where you work live and play.

After Sprint brought in outside firms to manage the network, I would complain that they had no idea how bad service was here. In my view they didn't know because calls would not even show up on the towers as being attempted. I knew this because of the number of my neighbors who would walk to the front of my house to use my airave.

Things have changed, LTE is covering 85% of the island of Wildwood. When I called the executive offices for Sprint and told them that I felt that the network did not have any real use on it because we are a summer resort, and I was concerned that even though I was getting 26MB down at this time of the year, that come May when the summer visitors come my service would be unusable again. and that atleast 15% of the island does not have LTE coverage they told me not to be concerned because the towers in the area would be upgraded to spark in March.

I believe them this time. Marcelo Claure seems to be taking charge of the network, and getting accountability from the netwok vendors.

I was there in September and the LTE was really hit or miss. I was on slow 3G most of the time, I fully expect by September of 2015 my vacation will be much better. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5

We were in Cape May in September and the coverage was pretty weak. There was a little LTE near the beach but that was it and the 3G was horrible. Since then most of the sites have been upgraded so I assume it should be better.

Maybe, they have a very busy schedule.

I couldn't remember the last time I went to a concert and wasnt able to even text while waiting for the band to start.

here on my block i only get 3g and the suurounding areas beisdes the high way