Network Vision/LTE - Central and South Jersey Markets

mrradic

Thanks, Mr. Myiagisr.

I was just surprised to see 4G show up at all, especially since it usually magically ended at the Delaware River :)

If the map is to be believed, all of my usual haunts would be covered with LTE.

Thanks again for the reply.

Since you're a sponsor, you can see on the map if the closest site to you has been LTE accepted.  Is that the case?  Also, about how far are you from it?  My nearby tower is only 3G accepted but it's broadcasting one bar of LTE.  I'm not even 1/4 mile away from the site, and I only get one bar of LTE, so I know they're still in the testing phase of things.

Which SMS did you get?  Was it the one that said "Over the next month, the new network will be largely completed in your area"?  If so, pretty much everyone got it.  Even in markets that are FAR from completion, so take it with a grain of salt.  This site is the best resource to figure out how far along the rollout is where you live.

I dont have any close towers accepted near me the only one is in bellmarw NJ which is a couple miles away , thats the thing my tower isnt 3g accepted yet although i think its just mssing back haul because the new cabinets are up and also new antennas

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all:

Just successfully set up my Virgin Mobile iPhone 5s. Ran a quick Speedtest and got 14 mbps down and 10 up. So far, so good in this section of Camden County. I'll run a Sensorly test once I get the phone loaded with music/photos/apps, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Whenever I go to the East Gate Shopping Center (Nixon Drive in Mt. Laurel, the Home Depot) to pick up my daughter from work 4G pops up on my phone but it is totally useless.  I can't even complete a speed test 50% of the time, it gets 0.13 Mbps down the other 50.  

Totally unusable, has been for almost 4 months now, and when I contacted Sprint they reply "Good News, that tower is being upgraded and should be done in 90 days!"  3 months plus the 4 already equals 7 months, I can't believe for 1 second that they spend 7 months on one tower. 

They really botched the transition.  Every time I have noticed the 4G on my phone initially it would be fast, 18 -20 Mbps down.  Then, about 2 months later it becomes unusable for 30 - 45 days, then it comes back at around 8 - 10 and settles in around 6. 

I really lost any confidence they have a plan or really know what they are doing, my contract is up in June and all the other carriers are dropping their prices so I can see us leaving, we know how much data we need in a plan now...

Your response is what is wrong with Sprint today.  Instead of rectifying all of the issues they are creating they just plod along alienating customers, and then wish them well as they leave.  You can only bleed so many customers before you have no customers to provide a profitable service to, not good business sense.  My problem with the way they are going about their upgrading is in the areas I work and live they take out towers and for several months the service is is not usuable, and I am supposed to be happy to pay my bill?  There has to be a better way to roll out upgrades without the turning the phone into a paper weight.  I had great 3G service, then every time I see 4G come on it is only a matter of time before I can't use my phone at that location for months, and I am not just talking about the network, droppped calls and incomplete texts.  How is this beneficial to anyone?  I know, good luck and so long.

Your response is what is wrong with Sprint today.

No, your post is what is wrong.  It violates S4GRU rules.  We do not host Sprint complaints.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

So, one of our moderators suggested that you might be better off finding another wireless provider.  That is one option.  Other options include the following:

• Direct your complaints to Sprint customer service.
  • Rant at one of the web sites that loves hosting Sprint complaints.
  • Become an S4GRU sponsor to become informed about progress in your area.

Regardless, you cannot complain here and tell everyone that you may leave Sprint.  That serves no productive purpose at S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 6

In South Jersey, I see there are LTE20 and CDMA 800 sites now.  Can someone explain to me the difference between these three.  I'm not sure they affect me personally because I have an HTC One and I just get the LTE1900 "stream".  My gf's galaxy s4 gets both the 800/1900 "streams" so it might affect her better. 

Thanks in advance,

Lee from West Deptford, NJ

In South Jersey, I see there are LTE20 and CDMA 800 sites now. Can someone explain to me the difference between these three. I'm not sure they affect me personally because I have an HTC One and I just get the LTE1900 "stream". My gf's galaxy s4 gets both the 800/1900 "streams" so it might affect her better.

Thanks in advance,

Lee from West Deptford, NJ

LTE 20 isn't a thing, it was a typo, meaning 20 CDMA 800 sites were turned on.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

#ifeelstupid  So 1900 is a stronger signal but doesn't go as far.  800 is not as strong but covers a further distance.  The Galaxy s4 picks up both signals but my HTC One only picks up the 1900?

Thanks!

Neither signal is stronger than the other. It's true that 800 is usable a further distance from the site, and works better indoors, but they are configured the same way, so they will deliver similar experiences, with max throughput at 37.5Mbps. 

The HTC One is uni-band LTE, so it will only pick up 1900 LTE. The first version of the S4 is also uni-band. However, if you have a newer model, the S4T, that is tri-band, and will pick up 800 LTE as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that we have many 800 sites in south and central jersey, does anyone have any experience with a tri band device? Is the switchover between 800 and 1900 seamless? Has it really improved calls and data coverage?

Now that we have many 800 sites in south and central jersey, does anyone have any experience with a tri band device? Is the switchover between 800 and 1900 seamless? Has it really improved calls and data coverage?

I think the 800mhz buildout will help with call coverage, not necessarily data coverage till 800mhz LTE is onair.

I have family down that side of the turnpike, will have to make a trip one day and see how coverage has improved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems to me like the LTE progress in South/Central Jersey area has stalled over the last month or 2. Anyone else notice this?

All the sites that have had their backhaul already upgraded have had their LTE turned on.  Now each remaining site will go slowly, one at a time as the new upgraded backhaul is connected and goes live.  LTE cannot run on the existing legacy backhaul.

Robert

• Like 2

My Note 2 is in for repairs and have to use my old WiMAX Photon in the meantime. Was surprised to find that I can still connect to WiMAX at work. Same area also had solid LTE with my Note 2. Can the same tower have both LTE and WiMAX? Wonder how long WiMAX will be available.

I am in North Wildwood, we are a summer resort, and obviously during the summer the population spikes. The Sprint coverage maps claims we should have "Best" voice and "fair" LTE. My definition of "fair" is being able to get one bar of LTE on my second floor, outside deck. I am lucky to be able to make a voice call. Since I am using a Galaxy Note 3, I have wifi calling and thats not working the best. I have an Airave for my tenants. I have called sprint over the last year to get more information, but nothing so far. any thoughts?

I am in North Wildwood, we are a summer resort, and obviously during the summer the population spikes. The Sprint coverage maps claims we should have "Best" voice and "fair" LTE. My definition of "fair" is being able to get one bar of LTE on my second floor, outside deck. I am lucky to be able to make a voice call. Since I am using a Galaxy Note 3, I have wifi calling and thats not working the best. I have an Airave for my tenants. I have called sprint over the last year to get more information, but nothing so far. any thoughts?

There is still one tower in the Wildwood area that hasn't been upgraded (or at least accepted, they may be working on it), I suspect that is the reason your service is as bad as it is. Unfortunately the coverage maps probably represent a best case scenario after every site in your area is complete ....