Network Vision/LTE - Central and South Jersey Markets

mrradic

Sounds like you won't even get LTE 1900. You will have to wait for 800lte unless another tower goes up.

Sent from my Nexus 5

And LTE 800 will not have a hugely larger coverage area than CDMA 1900. The signal will just be stronger within the coverage area. But it will be much better than LTE 1900.

In my testing of VZW LTE 750, the LTE signal did not extend much farther than CDMA 1900. And had nowhere near the coverage of VZW CDMA 850. But within the area covered by CDMA 1900, the LTE 750 signal strength was pretty darn good.

But once you traveled outside of the CDMA 1900 area and into the fringe LTE 750 area, the signal degraded quickly. If you look at a VZW coverage map, they show the areas that would essentially be out of CDMA 1900 coverage as "Extended LTE coverage". Meaning you may or may not get a signal. But if you do, it will be weak.

But as with every single site and sector, it will come down to how it is deployed. A boomer site with panels set with no downtilt will have LTE 800 stretch a long, long way. Especially in the plains.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

And LTE 800 will not have a hugely larger coverage area than CDMA 1900. The signal will just be stronger within the coverage area. But it will be much better than LTE 1900.

In my testing of VZW LTE 750, the LTE signal did not extend much farther than CDMA 1900. And had nowhere near the coverage of VZW CDMA 850. But within the area covered by CDMA 1900, the LTE 750 signal strength was pretty darn good.

But once you traveled outside of the CDMA 1900 area and into the fringe LTE 750 area, the signal degraded quickly. If you look at a VZW coverage map, they show the areas that would essentially be out of CDMA 1900 coverage as "Extended LTE coverage". Meaning you may or may not get a signal. But if you do, it will be weak.

But as with every single site and sector, it will come down to how it is deployed. A boomer site with panels set with no downtilt will have LTE 800 stretch a long, long way. Especially in the plains.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

i thought it was also determined by the spectral frequency that is being used not just the air link protocal

i thought it was also determined by the spectral frequency that is being used not just the air link protocal

I don't know what you're trying to say. But I can tell you I'm not in error.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hey, all:

Been reading this thread with some interest. I'm looking at Virgin Mobile, for my iPhone. VM uses Sprint's network.

So am I correct in understanding that the major towns in Camden and Burlington Counties (Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel, Evesham, etc.) are actually get 4G LTE?

TIA for any help.

Some parts of those towns are broadcasting LTE at the moment, it'll get better as time goes on.  You can see crowd-sourced LTE maps here:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4145-sprint-lte-coverage-maps-via-sensorly/

You can also download the Sensorly app from Apple's App Store, if that's more convenient for you.  Either method should give you a good idea of how the LTE rollout is going in your area or wherever your travels may take you.

New to what, in particular?  I'm confused.

th

I don't know what you're trying to say. But I can tell you I'm not in error.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i m new to some of the terms here and some of the technology my area of expertise is the spectrum used by the carriers sorry if i confused anyone

th

i m new to some of the terms here and some of the technology my area of expertise is the spectrum used by the carriers sorry if i confused anyone

I still don't know what you mean.  Are you having problems understanding what I posted above?  I can clarify if there is something that you are having issues with.

Robert

I still don't know what you mean.  Are you having problems understanding what I posted above?  I can clarify if there is something that you are having issues with.

Robert

yes i am having problems understanding please clarify the entire paragraph for me

yes i am having problems understanding please clarify the entire paragraph for me

I will give you the basic synopsis:  Sprint LTE on 800MHz will be vastly superior in coverage indoors and outdoors over the existing Sprint LTE on 1900MHz.  It will even extend a little further than the existing 3G network.

Robert

I will give you the basic synopsis:  Sprint LTE on 800MHz will be vastly superior in coverage indoors and outdoors over the existing Sprint LTE on 1900MHz.  It will even extend a little further than the existing 3G network.

Robert

sprints 1900 MHz 3g network gets one bar back here if i m lucky but i have had odd incidents where it has fluctuated between 2 annd 5 bars plus i m the coverage edge of two towers....

So, if I follow Robert correctly, in your situation, you should get more bars and a better connection overall once the towers by you are upgraded.

There's a tower by me that hasn't been upgraded yet.  I'm about 1/4 mile away from it and I'm only getting 2 to 3 bars of 3G, and sometimes it'll switch to one bar of LTE.  I've run a speedtest while it's on LTE and it's only at 2 up/1 down.

Does that suck?  Absolutely.  But, what can you do?  I'm personally used to how slow data on Sprint has been on 3G.  I mean, it can't get any worse.  It can only get better.  And it will.

• Like 1

sprints 1900 MHz 3g network gets one bar back here if i m lucky but i have had odd incidents where it has fluctuated between 2 annd 5 bars plus i m the coverage edge of two towers....

Based on what you've said, if you are on the fringe of two CDMA 1900 sites now, you will likely get LTE 800, but not likely get LTE 1900 when these are deployed to your adjacent sites.  There are too many factors to say with any certainty.

Robert

Based on what you've said, if you are on the fringe of two CDMA 1900 sites now, you will likely get LTE 800, but not likely get LTE 1900 when these are deployed to your adjacent sites.  There are too many factors to say with any certainty.

Robert

yes so how are the propagation with cdma 1900 vs cdma 800

Thanks  to everyone who responded to my question.

I'm leaning towards Sprint/Virgin right now because of Virgin's price: buy the phone outright and $35 a month for 2.5 GB data (throttled after that.) If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably stick with Verizon. Their coverage really can't be beat, IMO.

It's just frustrating to look at the coverage map for Sprint and see that Philly is solid 4G, yet South Jersey officially isn't. I looked at a recent Sprint 4G rollout press release, and the areas/towns they were boasting about adding were these tiny litle burgs in the middle of nowhere.

Notthing against the people who live there, but it's frustrating that with all the people in South Jersey, you'd think there'd be more info as to when 4G would be here.

Oh, well. First world problem. Thanks again for the help.

Glad to help.  And bear in mind two things about the Sensorly maps for Sprint LTE:

1) I personally wouldn't count the parts of Philly and South Jersey where the 4G signal is one bar, it's likely where LTE hung on a little longer than it should before switching over to 3G.  Basically stating that LTE is probably unusable in that area.  However, LTE on the 800 spectrum will definitely help out with that issue.

2) Since it's crowd sourced, it's dependent on people mapping those areas where LTE is present.  There are some sites broadcasting LTE where people haven't mapped coverage on Sensorly.  In South Jersey, 27% of LTE sites have been accepted since around the end of August (and that's only counting information as of the end of last month, so you gotta think that percentage is a bit higher now).

Let's hope there isn't another polar vortex headed our way, and hopefully the LTE acceptances will continue to come at a good clip going forward.

Glad to help.  And bear in mind two things about the Sensorly maps for Sprint LTE:

1) I personally wouldn't count the parts of Philly and South Jersey where the 4G signal is one bar, it's likely where LTE hung on a little longer than it should before switching over to 3G.  Basically stating that LTE is probably unusable in that area.  However, LTE on the 800 spectrum will definitely help out with that issue.

2) Since it's crowd sourced, it's dependent on people mapping those areas where LTE is present.  There are some sites broadcasting LTE where people haven't mapped coverage on Sensorly.  In South Jersey, 27% of LTE sites have been accepted since around the end of August (and that's only counting information as of the end of last month, so you gotta think that percentage is a bit higher now).

Let's hope there isn't another polar vortex headed our way, and hopefully the LTE acceptances will continue to come at a good clip going forward.

i can recall for my area that sprint 800 voice was being deployed here but then shut off last summer

Why am I lucky? Are you insinuating that the rollout out of band 25 is complete anywhere?

no i m insinuating that its basically most places besides my area that has it complete and i know it still on going the band 25 rollout plus i m on the coverage edge of two towers so i m curious of how it will perform and what not

no i m insinuating that its basically most places besides my area that has it complete and i know it still on going the band 25 rollout plus i m on the coverage edge of two towers so i m curious of how it will perform and what not

I don't know where in East Brunswick you live, but I was there a couple of days ago visiting a relative who's unfortunately in a long-term care facility off of Cranbury Road (CR 535) and that seems to be an almost dead spot (which is the complete opposite for how coverage is driving along Route 18).  Occasionally I'll get 1 or 2 bars of 3G (or it'll switch over to 1X), and sometimes it will roam onto Verizon.  I think the closest tower from that place is the one off the Turnpike, and according to the sponsor maps it's still a legacy tower.  Not sure if that's the closest tower from your place.